Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:07:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Historical Wargaming clubs and hobbying together.  (Read 1759 times)

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
Historical Wargaming clubs and hobbying together.
« on: June 11, 2023, 10:28:17 PM »
https://mcdougalldesigns3d.com/blogs/news/historical-wargaming-clubs-and-hobbying-together?fbclid=IwAR3tQMd-AKSNkG4PmOU3Q6dHPc5xu6ptd08-vMkXw6rpKaO6_w042nwTR6k

New blog post up. Historical Wargaming should be encouraged to grow. It's a form of learning both tactile and cerebral. If you'd like to grow your local community see my blog post below.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: Historical Wargaming clubs and hobbying together.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 04:36:39 PM »
I think HMGS does a good job of this, often putting on participation-based games at libraries and schools.  I considered doing this locally as well, but first I need to help them up their selection of Ancient History texts!

A local painter recently worked with our rural library to set-up a small showcase about the Imperial Roman Era complete with books, maps, and painted minis.  Looked pretty cool. 

Thanks for posting this with your thoughts.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 04:54:54 PM »
Your welcome. I'll be putting my money where my mouth is in my local area, but I actively want to assist others start local groups.

HMGS is fine, but as far as HMGS south (my local) the only thing I hear or see from them is advertisment about their two conventions per year: hurricon and recon.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 04:20:47 AM »
Haven't seen HMGS do anything but run their conventions for quite a long time - but maybe more local versions do better (there are still non-East HMGS groups out there apparently).  Great idea gone sour it seems, the promise of HMGS (I hear the conventions remain popular, never been - none within reach).

But doing out reach is a great idea.  While I know it isn't entirely true since there are exceptions, it seems the Historical Miniatures hobby is centered on men from around 50 to mid-70s age wise with some older segments still out there.  This is in the USA.  Not sure in other parts of the world but wouldn't be surprised if still true in other locations.

I keep hoping there will be a great turn away from computers and phones and super hero movies and a return to tactile hobbies - where people actually touch and build stuff.  I'd guess there will always be some but I don't know if we will ever return to the 'glory years'. 

And it just occurred to me why this might be so: those ages encompass a generation that had a lot more leisure time and disposable income than previous generations and probably follow-on generations as well.  That is a stark reality.

Out reach definitely needs to be beyond gaming stores and conventions - that is preaching to the choir mostly.  Maybe with so much retail space vacant, malls might be glad to let a space be used to bring a few interested bodies in.  Just don't oversell it and ruin the opportunity for others.  Locally I see spaces being used by charities that are no way paying full retail rates - if paying at all.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 06:30:18 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 01:42:40 PM »
When I was in my late teens, I went to a fair of some sort in VA. There I ran into a static display of an AWI miniatures game. The display had great terrain and painted miniatures. I just looked at it, as there was no one who actually talked to me about it.

After that, I found a hobby store near to where I lived and took a look inside. I got into a conversation with the owner and he invited me to play an ACW game he was having the coming Sunday. So I went to the guys apartment and there I found 5 guys, a ping pong table set up in the living room and the table was covered in 15mm ACW figures. I was invited to command a brigade. After that, I was hooked.

Now, of course, the store owner benefited because I bought all my soldiers, paints and accessories from him.

And I have no idea whose idea it was to setup the static display at the fair. But that outreach got one 19 year old into the hobby.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 01:54:49 PM »
Locally I see spaces being used by charities that are no way paying full retail rates - if paying at all.

When I was young and starting my journey into miniatures wargaming, we had a group of board gamers and role game players who used a community center as their venue. I doubt they paid any money to use it. I did get the opportunity to play D&D there and a couple different board games. I remember especially liking one board game called "Ironclad."

Of course, that was a looooong time ago.

In both situations, miniatures wargaming and the D&D/board gaming group, there appeared to me to be a single person who was going out of their way to recruit folks into their respective hobby. So, one person, can make a difference. Or at least it did in my time. I personally "recruited" three friends of mine into miniatures gaming back then and we would play ancient miniatures games.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 03:38:29 PM »
Your welcome. I'll be putting my money where my mouth is in my local area, but I actively want to assist others start local groups.

HMGS is fine, but as far as HMGS south (my local) the only thing I hear or see from them is advertisment about their two conventions per year: hurricon and recon.

I see outreach on  Instagram, but I am unsure which HMGS group it is at the moment.  There are none near me anyway as I live in the sticks.   

Edit: I guess it is HMGS_NextGen.  I assumed they were affiliated with HMGS but I could be wrong! 

Related to Malls and wargaming.  I did see in a mall (do not recall where) a Model Railroad club that rented out the space and had an amazing display out front and a work area in the rear.  It was a work space and recruitment area.  I have no idea how that worked with the Mall rules as many malls have strict "hours of Operation" rules. 

I have managed to build a small community of wargamers, sometimes even running historical games!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 09:02:06 PM by Easy E »

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 10:36:03 AM »
I see outreach on  Instagram, but I am unsure which HMGS group it is at the moment.  There are none near me anyway as I live in the sticks.   

Edit: I guess it is HMGS_NextGen.  I assumed they were affiliated with HMGS but I could be wrong! 

Related to Malls and wargaming.  I did see in a mall (do not recall where) a Model Railroad club that rented out the space and had an amazing display out front and a work area in the rear.  It was a work space and recruitment area.  I have no idea how that worked with the Mall rules as many malls have strict "hours of Operation" rules. 

I have managed to build a small community of wargamers, sometimes even running historical games!

Would you like a sponsor for your community?

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2023, 12:47:04 AM »
Haven't seen HMGS do anything but run their conventions for quite a long time - but maybe more local versions do better (there are still non-East HMGS groups out there apparently).

Here in HMGS Great Lakes country, we do public outreach. Once a year (usually in November), we take part in the Ohio Historical Society's "March Through Time." Reenactors and museums show up and talk to the public about History as they walk through the Ohio History Center in Columbus, OH. We have a room where we put on a half dozen demonstration games and encourage kids and parents to sit down and play a few turns (or more). It is very popular every year, but takes a special breed of GM who is patient, outgoing, and has set up a highly visual and easy-to-understand game.

In addition, we are helping fund a new convention this year in September, Hold the Line. It will be held at the Liberty Aviation Museum, Sept. 15-16, in Port Clinton, OH. There will be a lot of the public walking through the museum and we will be on hand running games and explaining what's up. Here's a link:
https://www.firelandsgames.com/hold-the-line

Mike Demana

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2023, 02:08:55 AM »
Well done, Mike!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2023, 06:40:29 AM »
A fascinating set of posts from I'm guessing "across the pond". From a UK perspective I guess it is a generational thing. As I volunteer in two museums my observation is that the teaching of history is far less important than it was in "my day", nearly 50 years ago. There are virtually no "bricks and mortar" historical gaming stores on the High Street ( or what remains of them). Having a dedicated plan to engage specifically with young people can be quite an exercise if done "legally" as you need to go through a range of Government mandated background checks to ensure you aren't a threat. All in all an uphill struggle. I'm trying to encourage the Museums to put on some games which could be win-win. Hopefully one will take up my suggestion.

Offline CaptainBigglesmay

• Assistant
  • Aucto Splendore Resurgo
    • My Photo bucket
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2023, 10:47:03 PM »
If anyone's around Shropshire you'd all be more than welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/SWSPublicPage

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2023, 06:00:59 PM »
A fascinating set of posts from I'm guessing "across the pond". From a UK perspective I guess it is a generational thing. As I volunteer in two museums my observation is that the teaching of history is far less important than it was in "my day", nearly 50 years ago. There are virtually no "bricks and mortar" historical gaming stores on the High Street ( or what remains of them). Having a dedicated plan to engage specifically with young people can be quite an exercise if done "legally" as you need to go through a range of Government mandated background checks to ensure you aren't a threat. All in all an uphill struggle. I'm trying to encourage the Museums to put on some games which could be win-win. Hopefully one will take up my suggestion.

Yes, I'm based in Florida, and my experiences and statements on my blog are based on that.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2023, 05:51:50 AM »
Lord Marcus, a great topic. I haven't made it to many shows in UK since the pandemic ( poor planning not a fear of going), but I reckon many UK gamers are the wrong side of 50 and we need to inject new blood. Interestingly the view is that Covid saw people want to "actively do stuff" rather than just sit in front of schemes.. see the GW sales figures. The big question is how to engage  and not have the next generation just wander into their local Warhammer shop.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2023, 04:13:58 PM »
Would you like a sponsor for your community?

I am not even sure what that means..... but I am listening.  PM me please.