Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best "Large Scale" WW2 Rules  (Read 3867 times)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Best "Large Scale" WW2 Rules
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2023, 02:37:28 PM »
Command Decision is ok, but it plays very slowly. Multiple spotting rolls and multiple shots per unit. Spearhead is much faster, and the orders system is good too. Probably the best at 1 stand = 1 platoon. Rommel is another level up (1 stand = 1 company), so the only thing with ranged fire is artillery, and you lose the fine distinctions between tanks; a company of panthers is a bit better than a company of shermans, but the fighting at this level is attritional. It is all about who has fresh reserves to throw in at the right time.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2023, 08:53:28 PM »
Matt, a mate of mine has Blitzkrieg Commander so I may give them a go.  I wasn't too keen on the "Commander" series but recently used "Cold War Commander" with my 3mm stuff, and found it gave a pretty good game. 

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2023, 10:25:46 AM »
Command Decision is ok, but it plays very slowly. Multiple spotting rolls and multiple shots per unit.

Command Decision: Test of Battle is the latest edition. It does away with the spotting rolls and uses deterministic spotting. You also don't get as many shots as you used to. The game has been streamlined in other ways too that speed up game play without losing the flavour that makes it my favourite WW2 rules set. Bill Owen posted a list of pros and cons of the newest edition here: https://wargamecampaign.wordpress.com/2019/08/26/cdtob-pro-con/
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2023, 10:28:52 PM »
O Group is battalion scale, I used to enjoy Blitzkrieg Commander, and these days I would also recommend Iron Cross, as a decent fun game.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2023, 05:36:23 AM »
Sharbaraz, I have the impression that "Cross of Iron" is the WW2 equivalent of "Seven Days to the River Rhone"? I play the latter in 15mm which is fun but you only have say a platoon of tanks, a platoon of infantry and a few support weapons on the table.  I'm searching for a set of rules  where I can re-fight big armour battles in 10mm. Hence my reluctance to look at "O Group" as well, as i thought the are based around an infantry battalion with support troops. 

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2023, 09:34:56 AM »
Sharbaraz, I have the impression that "Cross of Iron" is the WW2 equivalent of "Seven Days to the River Rhone"? I play the latter in 15mm which is fun but you only have say a platoon of tanks, a platoon of infantry and a few support weapons on the table.  I'm searching for a set of rules  where I can re-fight big armour battles in 10mm. Hence my reluctance to look at "O Group" as well, as i thought the are based around an infantry battalion with support troops.

O Group can be turned on its head with a regiment of tanks instead of a battalion of infantry (see 24.1 in the rules) with each squadron acting as the company made up of four platoons - so about 16 tanks per squadron and 64 per regiment (that's 32 individual bases).  Then relevant infantry supports can be added to the armour.  eg a supporting company of infantry in half tracks.  Did you like the way O Group handled AFVs?  If you have the rules and the minis then it's a no-brainer to have a test game at least.

Offline Joelegan

• Assistant
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2023, 01:10:49 AM »
Another vote for Battlefront.  It has the slickest combat/morale routine I have ever seen.  O group is good for infantry games for sure but battlefront shines with combined arms.

Joe

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2023, 10:03:35 AM »
Yes Battlefront:ww2 is a terrific set. Really does combined arms well, and plays reasonably quickly. Scale is 1 stand to 1 squad, and 1 model tank to 2 or 3 actual tanks. The artillery rules are the best I have seen in any WW2 set, and the spotting rules are good as well

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2023, 07:23:36 PM »
Yes, Battlefront: WWII for me too.  I've been playing it for 25 years now and nothing else comes close.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2023, 01:08:07 AM »
  Interesting discusiion as I am also on the hunt for a set or two to use for my 3mm, 6mm and 15mm troops. I have bought BKCIV, Battlefront WWII and Battlegroup. I own Spearhead, Fistful of Tows, Crossfire, Fireball Forward, Combat HQ, Iron Cross, Great Battles of WWII and Panzer Korps. I also game 1/72 and 54mm. But different rule sets would generally apply in some cases.

Definitely want to try Battlegroup. I picked up a bunch of the Campaign guides along with the rules. they look quite good. I also like Iron Cross. Fireball forward has some interesting features. I bought Battlefront WWII based on all the positive posts here. We are sorta spoiled for choices.

Thanks

John
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2023, 02:18:25 AM »
Another vote for Command Decision or Command Indecision as we used to call it in our old gaming group. Have run brigade level games with that in the past ad the absence of so may chits in v.4 makes it a visually more appealing game.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Panzer21

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2023, 07:30:36 PM »
When you say "large scale" what level are you looking to represent ?
Company elements suggests divisional level (assuming awareness of elements two levels below command grade) but in practice lots of "divisional level" games use platoon elements ....hence the suggestions.

I think you are approaching the cusp between tactical and operational games; sadly many "operational" rules are actually tactical ....many operational or bigger are very abstract and that puts a lot of people off.
In this category are the likes of Megablitz and those of the Canadian Wargames Group.

The Bruce Weigle rules and a forthcoming set from Frank Chadwick - "Breakthrough" sound interesting .

Another set is "Field of Battle" with company level stands - Piquet stable which may put some off.
 Neil

Offline pease1

• Assistant
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2023, 02:08:18 PM »
I'll toss in my vote - Blitzkrieg Commander 4 - nice fast play, just enough realism, and you can do very large battles.