Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:34:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Would you be interested enough in a Build Something Small Competition around September 2023 to:

participate?
vote for winners?
view and enjoy the build threads?

Author Topic: BSSC2023 - anyone interested? Wait, haven't we already been here....?!?  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
No, I have not been finally overwhelmed by work to the point of forgetting the BSC just finished. It's the BSSC now.
The Build Something Small Competition.
This had been suggested during voting for the BSC, and if there is interest and no-one objects, I would be happy to run this.
The idea is to hold a BSC around a smaller scale of build (no, not necessarily the modelling scale!) and build something which is about 4" x 4" x 4", or perhaps upping this to 6" x 6" x 6" or some reasonable size.

I suggest this runs 'opposite' to the BSC, that is, around September, probably for a shorter duration.
The idea is to build an object, not a game piece (trooper, monster, robot, vehicle - although a non-player vehicle or robot, especially a wrecked one, might be an idea anyway), and not a scenic base (unless it's tiny), but something more in the line of scatter terrain.
No 3D-printed designs in this case, as the challenge should, for such a small object, be closer to the original BSC, I think, using bits and pieces, otherwise this would be relatively easy to just design and print as a one-component object; and there should be a strict limit on model parts as well. But before ironing out the details, I want to see whether it's something which could be taken up or which might attract less attention. So here's the poll, vote away.  :D

Online snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Well in.  And we have a 100% participation rate with both people on the poll saying they would participate.   lol
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline frd

• Bookworm
  • 15mm of madness
I would be interested, although the no 3d printed stuff would hinder me a bit. Mainly because I design and 3d print my own stuff, often mixing 3d printed base with other materials.

I'm totally on board with not allowing just submitting a downloaded 3d printed piece, but would prefer if we could use 3d printed bits at least.

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
Not something I would do, but something I am interested in following.  However, I don’t quite get the “No 3D printed parts” rule?  Incorporating printed parts seems no different to incorporating injection moulded or cast metal parts? 

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
I have a cunning plan...  >:D

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
I’m in hopefully :D

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
I'm in, though I don't know if I will be able to keep things small... or finish it in a shorter time limit... I still work on this years entry. lol

I think Vanvlak meant no full 3D printed entry. Using 3D printed parts should be ok, maybe along the lines of the usual max 25% commercially bought items in the BSC?

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
I'm in, though I don't know if I will be able to keep things small... or finish it in a shorter time limit... I still work on this years entry. lol

I think Vanvlak meant no full 3D printed entry. Using 3D printed parts should be ok, maybe along the lines of the usual max 25% commercially bought items in the BSC?
Correct, sorry if I wasn't really clear.
In addition, I realised I should have allowed more than one option in the poll, as it seems no-one will be voting, which would make it a rather pointless sort of competition!!

I would be interested, although the no 3d printed stuff would hinder me a bit. Mainly because I design and 3d print my own stuff, often mixing 3d printed base with other materials.

I'm totally on board with not allowing just submitting a downloaded 3d printed piece, but would prefer if we could use 3d printed bits at least.
And I'm a fan of that lovely piece of work by the way, which I had previously missed. I think that as in this case it's a smallish object, having a fully 3D-printed object would be a bit too different from the kitbash idea. I am not going to say too easy, because I definitely appreciate it is not!

That said - the rules are not yet set in stone or anything - as I pointed out in my initial suggestion regarding size limits.
Given the size of this competition build, we also need to set a time frame, as the duration of the original BSC would be too long - so perhaps four weeks to finish the build plus perhaps a couple of weeks to paint and photograph.

And we need suggestions for the theme too.  :D

Here's my starting shots at this:
An old favourite of mine which never was chosen - 'boom'
And an even more generic one which I think was not suggested previously for BSC - 'rickety'

Ideas are of course welcome.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Definitely up for this, well it will take up a lot less room on the shelf
than my previous build something efforts.
 :D :D :D

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
I’d be interested in participating. I do understand the “no 3D” parts idea so you would you know what you were looking at…… maybe you’d have to state which parts, if any, are prints (and that you designed them) so voters could take it into account? I’m certainly more impressed by traditionally whittled objects (rather than CAD and a printer) but such things are inescapable nowadays and the hobby is (and has always been) a very personal path that you walk.

Maybe two categories as it’s a small competition?
#No printed components
#Printed components allowed (but have to be designed and printed by you?).

Looking forwards to seeing what happens

Balm
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline frd

• Bookworm
  • 15mm of madness
Unless there are others who would really want to design and print their entry, I would be more happy with having just a single category with a limit on the amount of 3d printed/commercially bought/ready made elements. 25% seems like a plenty of wiggle room to me to embellish a scratch built model.

Four weeks feels like a good amount of time to me. I'm usually pretty slow when it comes to building stuff, but having a clear deadline always gives me a bit more motivation :)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
I love deadlines, especially the noise they make as they whoosh by.  lol

Online snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
And we need suggestions for the theme too.  :D
For the BSS do we actually need a set theme since the object is to do scatter?  Might generate a bit more interest if it is open. 

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
count me in on this one , too.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
For the BSS do we actually need a set theme since the object is to do scatter?  Might generate a bit more interest if it is open.
I think leaving it open is a good idea.
And I'm in, either way.
''Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed''-Jack Churchill