Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:38:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690862
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Trotter Watch Cash and Curry: Conclusion  (Read 8033 times)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Trotter Watch Cash and Curry: Conclusion
« on: June 19, 2023, 06:37:40 PM »
Brief Introduction.

Zona Britaniya was my Lockdown project and the first postings I ever made on LAF, here's the introduction:

Zona Britaniya

In February 1988 the assassination of Mikhail Gorbachev and most of the Soviet Government was accomplished in less than 48 hours, leaving the USSR in turmoil and the world more fearful of Global Nuclear War than the 1960’s.

The coup was orchestrated by a massive and secret organised criminal network headed by the elusive Nestor Lebedev, known as The Swan.

Lebedev quickly took control of state press and television, promoting himself the saviour of the Soviet Union and protector of the teachings of Lenin and Marx.

Irrespective of his true political leanings, he embarked on a foreign policy of aggression and invasion across Asia; the US reeled at the speed at which this happened and made empty threats of war.

Throughout 1988 The Swan ignored them and pressed on.

On December 1st 1988 he turned his military machine against the US’s NATO allies and they could ignore his aggressive policies no more.

Initially the limited nuclear strikes were against military and strategic sites but quickly escalated to tit for tat nuclear devastation of cities in Russia, Europe and the United States.

The world was quickly heading for global devastation

Then, on Christmas Day, the Soviets launched a massive attack on the United Kingdom, at the same time warning the US that they were prepared to unleash every missile they had unless a deal was agreed.

The example made of Britain stopped the world in its tracks and tentative moves towards a peaceful resolution ensued.

Mutually assured destruction had been avoided.

Britain lost 65% of it’s population in the initial strikes and a further 28% in the 6 months following from radiation poisoning and disease.

Parliament, the government machine, Royalty, the rich and the powerful, who had remained safe in their bunkers, abandoned those they purported to serve and fled to nations relatively unaffected.

Within a few years the population of Britain was less than 300,000 and the whole country designated a no go area.

The country fell back to the dark ages, albeit with some modern technology, and it’s inhabitants had to learn a new set of skills in order to survive.

The mean Summer temperature now hovers a few degrees below freezing; in Winter it falls to 30 degrees below.

A new Ice Age is underway.

Most lived underground. At first. Then people started to go missing. Which was bad.

When they started to return it was worse.

What came next was unimaginable.

The US call it Area Zero; the Soviets designation is Zona Britaniya.

After 2 adventures using the original Zona Alfa rules and solo mods both official and otherwise, Trotter Watch headed for a well-deserved retirement.

After living the high life for 2 years they are now skint and hungry for work and I have had a copy of the proper solo rules, Kontraband, sat unread on my shelves for long enough.

Today part of the crew consisting of Delboy, Rodney, Cassandra and Boycie headed back to their former base on the old ship locked in the ice to clear the area of hostiles and reclaim their own.

This gave me a chance to reacquaint myself with the base rules and start to become familiar with those peculiar to Kontraband.

Here's a few pics from todays first run:

The Old Ship and a nearby anomaly

20230619_125023 by markndebs, on Flickr

The Crew

20230619_125750 by markndebs, on Flickr

20230619_125900 by markndebs, on Flickr

Cassie disturbs a mutant, Delboy on Overwatch got it though

20230619_143343 by markndebs, on Flickr

Rodney discovers something foul in the ship

20230619_144237 by markndebs, on Flickr

« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 07:12:39 AM by Spinal Tap »

Online Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Trotter Watch; Back to Work.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 07:21:13 PM »
It's great that the long awaited return of Trotter Watch has finally happened. I'm looking forward to lots of their adventures  :-*
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 09:39:42 AM »
I read all your original posts, and I am looking forward to your new ones.

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 10:37:44 AM »
Looking forward to their next adventures.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 01:13:21 PM »
If they find the right sort of stuff, by this time next year they'll be millionaires ;D

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 03:12:06 PM »
Great to see them out of retirement mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 07:00:05 PM »
Thank you folks, looking forward to this.

If they find the right sort of stuff, by this time next year they'll be millionaires ;D

Cushty

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Trotter Watch Cash and Curry Part 1: Radio Times
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 07:59:49 PM »
So "Cash and Curry" will be loosely based on the Zone Ravens 5 part mission found in the Kontraband expansion, tweaked to fit my world and the crew.

Kontraband works around solo rules where wounds are not only potentially lethal but also reduce efficiency and ability as the characters are weakened. There's also a requirement to live off the land and the 4 man crew will need to find the following every day of the mission: 2 Rations, 2 Water, 1 Ammo and 1 Lithium battery - failures to find any of these will see certain abilities reduced.

There's lots more to the solo expansion than this, I reckon anyone who liked Zona Alfa will love the solo rules. I ended up playing for over 3 hours trying to get the rules right, although there are a few that I missed.

Those 3 hours flew by.

In order to start with the recommended skills mix Del selected Himself, Rodders, Trig and Marlene with the others heading off for adventures which will be reported on at a later date.

Del wants this run into the Zone to go by the numbers, no heroics, no cockups.

In order to give the best chance of success there's a lot to be done in the outer reaches of their target area.

They need to clear all POI's of hostiles, gather enough resources and expend 2 actions to repair the communications equipment in the APC.

“Cash and Curry”

Soon after resettling their home base Trotter Watch are approached by a shady figure, Mr Ram, who offers them a great price for a dozen Artefacts – significantly more than they are really worth; he’ll even accept items that have lost their properties.

Delboy is a little suspicious, but a business acquaintance has confirmed Ram is genuine and Marek has given his blessing, subject to his 10% cut of course.

Raquel, Boycie, Cassie and Denzil are away on a job so this one is down to him, Rodney, Trigger and Marlene, who’s got a new Flamethrower to play with.

He tells of a smuggler’s ship, The Lovely Jubbly, frozen along a fault line, Artifacts galore, and he knows (roughly) where to find it.

Part One: Radio Times

Delboy is keen to maintain communications throughout the search for the ship and knows of an old military station which contained an APC with comms. The rumour is that it stopped working a few months back after a Thatcher attack but it needs very little to get it up and running again.

His plan is to move in, clear the area and minimise the risk of it going down again.

As they’re going to be in the Zone for a few days they will need to resupply whilst in there; as a minimum they’ll need ammo supplies, rations, water and some batteries to keep the equipment functioning.

Mission parameters for this first day are to clear the area of all hostiles (check all 9 Points Of Interest)), Repair the radio in the APC, collect 2 rations, 2 water, 1 Ammo and 1 Lithium Battery.

Mission reports are, as before, broken into 10 minute segments.

20230627_123117 by markndebs, on Flickr

20230627_122352 by markndebs, on Flickr

20230627_120353 by markndebs, on Flickr

First 10 minutes – Rodney and Marlene go on Alert (Over Watch) whilst Delboy moves to a nearby Point of Interest (POI) where he finds a damaged container requiring a repair to access. After passing his skill check and opening the box he finds it’s loaded with ammunition which he gratefully slips into his backpack.

Trigger spots a container a little further into the Zone; it’s not only the next nearest POI but a great place for him to set up to snipe the rest of the field. He rushes forward but, on arrival, finds it’s booby trapped – bugger.

20230627_131646 by markndebs, on Flickr

Trigger passes his reaction roll and moves back very carefully to behind a barrier – he’s really not keen on having a go at defusing that.

Rodney discards his alert status and uses his single action to move up near Del whilst Marlene also spends her only action to toss a bolt towards the anomaly closest to the team. The bolt accelerates as it approaches the item and finally sticks to it – a gravity anomaly; that could prove painful to anyone caught in it’s field.

20 Minutes in – No Zone Event occurs.

Marlene moves towards the gravity anomaly, passes her interaction check, searches it and finds a bracelet like artifact which she takes before moving away to safety.

Trigger moves to the disabled Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC), finding that not only does it contain the radio equipment they need to repair but is also covered in Spitters and Spores – nasty.

He reacts quickly enough to hold his breath and not get affected then proceeds to search the APC – 2 Rations.

20230627_141246 by markndebs, on Flickr

Delboy uses 2 actions to move to the booby trapped container and makes a successful attempt at defusing it. Rodney joins Del and searches it, finding a sealed bottle of water.

30 Minutes – No Zone Event.

Rodney makes a second search (Scrounger) and locates a Med Kit then presses forward to a pile of strange looking containers. As he approaches them his Geiger Counter screams – he fails to react quickly enough and is forced to rely on his stamina to get through, taking a pin. Searching reveals a Detector and an unused Lithium battery.

20230627_141259 by markndebs, on Flickr

Marlene uses 2 actions to move to the APC, passes a reaction roll to avoid the spores, uses her stamina dice to allow her to repair the radio equipment and takes a pin. Her final action is to move away.

Trigger starts to move away from the spore ridden APC but manages to suck in a number of spores causing 1 wound and reducing his overall effectiveness. He climbs onto the roof of the nearby hut to provide a field of cover to his colleagues.

20230627_144932 by markndebs, on Flickr

Del moves into the compound and prepares to do his stuff.

40 Minutes from insertion – Still no Zone Event.

Rodney attempts to move away from the radioactive containers, doing so by passing his reaction check and sprinting towards the large red container at the rear of the compound, shrugging off his pinned status as he does so.

Marlene rallies to remove her pin then goes onto Alert as Del moves to the centrally placed POI, finding more Spores and Spitters which he reacts to successfully, moving out of harms way towards the South Western corner of the compound, tossing a bolt at an Anomaly – a Blaster – could be painful.

Trigger drops from the roof of the hut and enters, ready to unleash hell but all he finds is a Witches Brew, a drum of caustic gunge (‘what sort of gunge?’ he imagines Denzil saying). He fails his reaction check and suffers a point of armour damage then staggers back outside.

20230627_150322 by markndebs, on Flickr

Looks like Marlene went on Alert for nothing as both boys only found environmental hazards.

50 Minutes – No Zone Event – again.

Rodney moves to the red container and discovers it’s occupied – by Uncle Albert!! He lets Rodney know what the nearest 2 unsearched POI’s contain; one is The Hum and the other is Thatchers.

20230627_152356 by markndebs, on Flickr

20230627_152553 by markndebs, on Flickr

That’s all 9 POI’s identified so mission nearly accomplished except for clearing out the Thatchers.

The crew know they need to get a move on as the chances of a potentially disastrous Zone Event so choose to ignore searching The Hum and Del heads for the Thatcher’s location while Marlene goes on Alert again.

As he arrives the Thatcher’s erupt from the trailer and launch towards Marlene who uses her flamethrower to devastating effect, frying them both instantly.

20230627_153112 by markndebs, on Flickr

Delboy throws caution to the wind, rolls all three stamina dice and gets three more actions, finding 2 Rations on the cart, tossing a bolt at the anomaly that is in view near the trailer and finds it’s another gravity anomaly.

Trigger starts towards the Gravity Anomaly in the compound, reacts to avoid being pulled in and smashed against it, reaches into the strange effect and pulls out a strange disc which allows those equipped to ignore pins but has negative effects to boot.

20230627_154627 by markndebs, on Flickr

On the Hour – Del decides to push their luck just that little bit further and again there’s No Zone Event.

Delboy rallies, moves to the Blast Anomaly and is thrust backwards, taking a Pin, Marlene also tries and suffers the same. Trigger and Rodney are too far away to be of use and Del makes the call to get out of there.

The final tally is all objectives completed with a Detector, a Med Kit, 4 Rations, 2 Water, 1 Ammo and 1 Lithium Battery found as well as 2 Artefacts.

Got really lucky with no Zone Events and mainly environmental hazards rather than hostiles and, in retrospect, it might have been wise to stick around to get the last artefact but hey ho.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 08:08:41 PM by Spinal Tap »

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2023, 08:25:39 PM »
I like your "ice" setting, and the terrain and scatter look great! I can really see how this system is great for solo campaigns.

Mike Demana

Online Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 08:46:19 PM »
Great to see Delboy's crew back in action. Great game setup too  :-*

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 10:28:48 PM »
Very interesting.  Sounds like it could have gone worse for your crew.  Nice report!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2023, 11:10:04 PM »
I can see the British contingent need an old tv program to recruit their teams from. I've always wondered about buying the Dad's Army figures, they might be perfect for this game set in the 40's.

I'd seen your snow board as I've been rooting through older posts and thought how nice it was. Pleased you're continuing with Trotter Watch, and I'll enjoy your future exploits.

It's also a nice idea to use the time to denote turns, much more effective than turn 1 turn 2 as I did.
Cheers

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2023, 06:25:32 AM »
Thank you folks, glad people enjoy my Zone.

@Vagabond - Walmington on Sea would make a great location for a wartime  zone - hope you go for it.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 07:22:06 AM »
Loving it, as always mate!

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2023, 08:38:44 AM »
Great looking game and excellent AAR, thanks.