Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:53:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Trotter Watch Cash and Curry: Conclusion  (Read 8034 times)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Trotter Watch Cash and Curry Part 1: Radio Times
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2023, 02:15:32 PM »
June the 29th was the last day I played a game.

Until today.

To qualify, that's a solo game; I have played 3 games of Frostgrave against a friend as part of my way back, with some pleasure but mainly to force myself into doing stuff again.

I have set this game of Zona Britaniya up half a dozen times, started twice but never got to the end of it, just too morose to bother.

Playing this game, enjoying it, and posting on here is quite a milestone for me - hope you enjoy it too.

Part Two: The Frog’s Legacy

Marlene heard rumours that an old time stalker, Freddie the Frog, had a map of all the trails through the zone, many only known to him.

Unfortunately, Freddie had been killed last year and buried in the abandoned shanty village he had been exploring.

The Team decide to go to the village, find Freddie’s grave and recover the map; it could be vital to their mission and safe return.

Insertion – The Team insert at the South-East corner and survey the locations. Alongside the evenly spaced points of interest (POI) are 3 randomly placed graves and 3 randomly placed anomalies. Whilst the 3 anomalies are quite close, 2 of the graves are at the other side of the field. Given that the crew need so many artifacts to satisfy Mr Ram and they also may have 3 graves to search it seems sensible to keep the searches of POI’s at an absolute minimum.

20231024_102756 by markndebs, on Flickr

20231024_102804 by markndebs, on Flickr

First 10 minutes – Delboy sprints towards the nearest anomaly but becomes pinned briefly as the terror of approaching it overwhelms him. He finally steels himself and approaches the site with caution discovering a Gravity anomaly, fails his will roll and is pushed back but takes no damage.

Rodney and Trigger go on overwatch as Marlene moves to a POI finding a Witches Brew, reacting quickly to not be splashed and burned, searches the area and rolls a 6, discovering ammunition and a lithium battery; coupled with the food remaining from the previous scenario the team now only need 2 canisters of water to continue unhindered.

Finally, she moves closer to Delboy as Rodney and Trigger abandon overwatch and use their remaining turn to move forwards.

20231024_110547 by markndebs, on Flickr

20 minutes – Delboy moves back into contact with the anomaly, survives the damage attack unscathed and searches, finding a Bubble artifact. On trying to leave he finds that the gravity has an overwhelmingly strong hold on him.

Trigger and Rodney again go on overwatch as Marlene moves to the next POI which turns out to be a drum leaking gas. She passes her check and searches but fails to find anything.

Trigger and Rodney again come off overwatch and move towards Marlene – that’s 2 sets of actions wasted for environmental hazards.

20231024_104946 by markndebs, on Flickr

30 minutes from insertion – The Team notice a strange shimmering on the horizon; it’s a Zone Event – a violent emission which will cause some serious damage if the team aren’t in cover at the end of their actions.

Marlene moves away from the container to allow Rodney access, he’s much better at searching than her and finds 2 cans of water at first whilst his second search reveals an ammo cache.

Both of them retreat to a nearby shack for cover.
Trigger follows them to the shack, calling for Del to hurry up.

Delboy finally manages to escape the gravity of the anomaly but needs to rely on his stamina to reach safety – losing 2 of his stamina dice in the attempt.

The emission blasts over the area. None of the team are harmed but all suffer shock and gain a pin.

40 minutes – No Zone Event this turn.

Delboy moves to the next anomaly close to an abandoned truck. This has a terror rating of 3 but Del passes the challenge easily. He continues to move forward to contact the anomaly, discovering it is a Force (Blaster) anomaly.

Delboy fails to react quickly enough and is blasted backwards suffering 1 wound and also taking a pin. He uses his next turn to remove the pin marker and moves away to a nearby grave with the power of his stamina.

Rodney moves to the anomaly, also passes his terror check and then reacts quickly enough to avoid being blasted back. He searches the anomaly and discovers a Sponge anomaly before retreating.

Trigger and Marlene both leave cover moving nearer to the graves in the West and the final anomaly.

20231024_113244 by markndebs, on Flickr

50 minutes in – Luckily there is no sign of any approaching Zone Event so Delboy concentrates on searching the grave, finding it is not the grave of Freddie the Frog. He then moves back towards the rest of his crew.

Marlene approaches the final anomaly finding yet another gravity well, she avoids being injured and then searches, finding a bracelet. Using all her stamina dice she can move a fair distance away.

Trigger moves to the grave nearest him and searches but this one isn’t the right one either.

Rodney moves to the final grave, searches and finds the map; he also finds a note, on top of the site, sealed in a waterproof container.

20231024_115725 by markndebs, on Flickr

On the Hour – Another Zone Emission is due at the end of this turn. Delboy assesses the stash and current supplies, and is happy that they need to continue unhindered as well as all 3 anomalies.

He gives the order to withdraw to safety.

20231024_121032 by markndebs, on Flickr

Finally reaching safe cover they all pore over the map, before reading the note found on the grave which details the manner of Freddie’s rather horrific death.

Shaking his head Rodney comments ‘ Freddie the Frog. Killed himself by sitting on someone else’s satchel charge. What a plonker!’

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: Trotter Watch Cash and Curry Part 2: The Frog's Legacy
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2023, 03:26:04 PM »
Nice AAR as always.

Glad you got through it and enjoyed it.

When are you planning your next game for?

Online Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2023, 03:53:49 PM »
Great to see Trotter Watch back in action. Hopefully we won't have such a long wait until the next installment!
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2023, 06:50:46 PM »
Always a joy to read your battle reports. Sorry to hear you have been feeling morose. I hope you continue to find yourself in the Zone! ☢️
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2023, 02:59:38 AM »
I like the tension the "40 minutes in" and such builds. It's like you know you've stuck around too long, but are willing to search for just a little more loot...  lol

Mike Demana

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2023, 07:53:21 AM »
Thank you for the comments,  it's great to be gaming again and I think the events of the past few months are well behind me.

Tactalvanic - my intention is to play Kontraband one week and Frostgrave the next so I can devote some time to the building and painting  I want to do.

Mike - Kontraband rules are great for tension and I added this way of thinking to make it feel more so.

Kontraband is fairly crunchy for me but I've made a crib sheet which helps a lot.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2023, 01:11:34 PM »
Nice Bat Rep. It's good to see these boys back in action.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2023, 02:33:14 PM »
Sounds like a fun game, nice scenery by the way.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2023, 09:03:23 PM »
Thanks Patrick, great for them to be back.

Graham, if you mean the shacks they're all free cardstock buildings, I can send you the files if you need them.

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2023, 11:08:44 PM »
Great report.  I too like the counting clock.  I may have to incorporate something like that into my games...

Well done, lad!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2023, 06:06:52 PM »
I like the tension the "40 minutes in" and such builds. It's like you know you've stuck around too long, but are willing to search for just a little more loot...  lol

Totally agree.  8)

Great to see Trotter Watch back centre stage, obviously I'm a bit late but thoroughly enjoyed catching up. scenery is good, I'm a big fan of the paper builds although I bet it's cold inside a tin shed in the snow.  lol lol
I know what you mean about solo games, you need some impetus to get going, hopefully you feel re-invigorated, and I'm looking forward to the next outing of the Trotters.
Cheers

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2023, 09:19:41 AM »
Totally agree.  8)

Great to see Trotter Watch back centre stage, obviously I'm a bit late but thoroughly enjoyed catching up. scenery is good, I'm a big fan of the paper builds although I bet it's cold inside a tin shed in the snow.  lol lol
I know what you mean about solo games, you need some impetus to get going, hopefully you feel re-invigorated, and I'm looking forward to the next outing of the Trotters.
Cheers

A timely post as I'm playing the next scenario this afternoon, a bit later than planned but I have changed use on a bedroom to make a games room  - nothing flash but I'm looking forward to playing in it.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2023, 08:14:07 AM »
Part Three: Little Problems

‘This bloody map doesn’t match the terrain at all, so glad we spent yesterday digging through graves to find it!!’

It seems that events in the zone have resulted in existing paths being obliterated and new ones forming; the crew need to confirm their location as soon as possible.

Comparing the map to the scene in front of him Del reckons they are at a stalker camp indicated in the central left portion of the handwritten map. In order to confirm they need to circle the camp, check on a few outlying locations and not disturb the residents.

However, as they approach it’s apparent that a number of strange anomalies have seemingly crashed in to the site and the camp has been abandoned.

‘Listen up’ says Delboy, ‘we have plenty of supplies but it won’t hurt for us to be head of the game. There looks to be plenty of stuff we need down there and we can check out these new anomaly types as well’.

The team need to insert, investigate the perimeter of the camp (4 corner POI’s as a minimum), check out an anomaly or two, then get the hell out of Dodge.

20231122_130730 by markndebs, on Flickr

20231122_130714 by markndebs, on Flickr

Insert

The crew drop in at the South East corner of the area and are immediately confronted by a pile of cases and lockers.

As the rest of the team go on overwatch, Delboy moves tentatively towards the pile intent on searching for loot.

Overwatch was ore like overkill as Delboy found some spitter plants which erupted with spores as he approached. He reacted quickly and, despite a little wooziness, did not succumb to the effects of the spores.

Searching the containers he found rations and water, then moved West with the remainder of Trotter Watch following with their remaining moves.

20231122_131359 by markndebs, on Flickr

10 Minutes

No Zone Event expected.

Del moves forward towards the anomaly, overcomes his terror (rating 1), and tosses a bolt in it’s direction which vanishes then reappears 20 metres to the North; a spatial displacement effect!

He reacts quickly and moves to the South of the anomaly than indicates for Marlene to approach and search for artifacts.

Marlene approaches, despite her fear, avoids the displacement effects with a timely dive onto her belly then searches to discover a Spring artifact.

Trigger and Rodney pass Del and Marlene, heading for the next POI.

20231122_133542 by markndebs, on Flickr

20 minutes

No Zone Event.

‘Come on, let’s get a move on. I don’t want to be here beyond the hour. I have a very bad feeling about this place’ says Del. ( I decided to put in a 60 minute time limit with a Zone Event happening automatically after this point with no roll required).

Marlene safely moves away from the anomaly, using her Deja Vu to do so, into cover then goes on overwatch as do Rodney and Trigger.

Delboy ‘Hustles’ towards the POI, drops to his knees to search and finds a booby trap -great.

Quickly he assesses the device and sets to work disarming it. Once completed he calls on Rodney to come in a search the items for anything of value.

As the remainder of the crew slowly prepare to move to the North East corner to further confirm their location Rodney does as asked.

20231122_133601 by markndebs, on Flickr

20231122_133643 by markndebs, on Flickr

30 Minutes

No approaching Zone Event detected.

Rodney searches and finds rations, water and 2 medkits – scrounging is a useful skill!

Rodney lets Delboy know what he’s found, Del responds with huge grin. He decides that given the good state of their supplies it would be worthwhile to do the necessary and get out of here – that bad feeling was still with him.

All the crew move out, ignoring 2 POI’s, a tent bursting with supplies and a loaded truck, as they move towards the 2 anomalies and a Northerly POI.

20231122_135611 by markndebs, on Flickr

40 minutes

No Zone Event again.

Delboy approaches an anomaly, using all his Deja Vu dice to pass the level 2 terror check before tossing a bolt at the anomaly.

The bolt sparks with electricity before being welded to the side of the vast structure – an Arc Welder anomaly!

He indicates that he will attend to this anomaly and the next and signals for the rest of Trotter Watch to advance on the POI which they dutifully do.

50 minutes

No Zone Event.

Del is getting really jumpy, this is taking much longer than he likes.

He moves into contact with the electricity anomaly but fails to react quickly enough and takes a wound. He pushes on, finding another Spring artifact, then moves towards the last of the three anomalies on the field.

This one also has a terror rating of 2, Delboy overcomes his fears and prepares to move into it.

Marlene and Trigger provide cover for Rodney to explore the POI, another booby trap, which he successfully deactivates.

60 Minutes

As the hour approaches a crashing sound can be heard to the North (automatic Zone Event which sounds like some huge beast).

‘I knew this was going to turn to shit’ thinks Del.

Rodney’s search reveals just a single lithium battery, then he moves on towards a tent in the North West which needs to be investigated before they can get off the field.

Using all his Stamina dice he rushes to within a few yards of it before pulling up winded (1 pin token taken).

Del uses a medkit to treat his wound, contacts the remaining anomaly without a bolt toss and manages to avoid the blast that it emits on his arrival.

His search locates a Sponge anomaly which he thrusts in his pack.

Trigger and Marlene estimate that whatever is approaching is going to pop out not far from the pinned Rodney so use Stamina and Deja Vu dice rolls to ensure they are in position for it’s appearance.

20231122_141019 by markndebs, on Flickr

70 minutes

As a huge Alpha Mutant rushes in from the North, another Zone Event is set to approach the area in the next few minutes (Anomaly Shift).

Rodney drops his pin, turns and unloads his shotgun at the mutant hitting it twice.

The hardened carapace of the enormous creature deflects the shots but leave it stunned.

Delboy moves in, opens up with his AK47 and manages to inflict 2 wounds.

Using his stamina he pushes on towards Rodney, ending up just short of the tent which is the final POI.

Trigger fires 3 times but only hits once, this hot bouncing way but stunning the Alpha a little more.
Marlene shakes her head, mumbles ‘ Bloody men’ under her breath, opens up with her flame thrower and incinerates the mutant.

20231122_142405 by markndebs, on Flickr

20231122_142933 by markndebs, on Flickr

20231122_145228 by markndebs, on Flickr

80 minutes

The anomalies all shift position, but this is no concern to the crew now, and a further such Zone Event is indicated to be imminent.

Rodney reloads and goes on overwatch as do Marlene and Trigger.

Delboy approaches the tent at which point the ground erupts with three pairs of Thatchers appearing as if from nowhere.

Delboy reacts, killing one, while Rodney disposes of another.

Marlene’s flamethrower kills 2 more and Trigger attempts a difficult shot on another but misses.

The remaining pair of Thatchers attack Del inflicting 2 wounds on him.

20231122_145523 by markndebs, on Flickr

90 Minutes

The anomalies shift again and there’s further noise from the North – looks like the Alpha Mutant wasn’t alone.

Trigger kills both remaining Thatchers whilst Rodney searches the tent, finding adrenaline and 2 armour repair kits – what a haul.

At this point the crew deem a job well done and make haste to be elsewhere when the next Alpha Mutant appears.

‘All in all a good job but we need to move quicker next time’ says Del.

Online Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
Re: Trotter Watch Cash and Curry Part 3: Little Problems
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2023, 01:57:58 PM »
There is always something interesting happening in your Zone!  :)

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Re: Trotter Watch Cash and Curry Part 3: Little Problems
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2023, 05:06:11 PM »
Nice Bat Rep. Thank you for posting it.