Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:05:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Trotter Watch Cash and Curry: Conclusion  (Read 8028 times)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Trotter Watch Cash and Curry Part 3: Little Problems
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2023, 05:55:20 PM »
Nice one. Come on Trotter Watch, you know you can do this mission!
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2023, 06:42:57 PM »
Fun read...thanks for posting!

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2023, 04:01:31 PM »
Interesting.  Nice report.  And probably wise not to wait for the 2nd Alpha Mutant to show up....
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2023, 07:26:28 AM »
Great table, in particular the dead trees, are they real or manufactured?

Poor old Del Boy, the zone isn't the same as Chapel Market in Islington, is it.  :D
Cheers

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2023, 09:21:22 PM »
Great table, in particular the dead trees, are they real or manufactured?

Poor old Del Boy, the zone isn't the same as Chapel Market in Islington, is it.  :D
Cheers

Sorry in not getting back quicker.

The trees are made from pipe cleaners twisted together then melted with fire, got the idea from this bloke:

https://youtu.be/OuoHw0CL9l4?si=iy6DdNlykEp2jRmx

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2023, 10:38:56 AM »

Sorry in not getting back quicker.

The trees are made from pipe cleaners twisted together then melted with fire, got the idea from this bloke:

https://youtu.be/OuoHw0CL9l4?si=iy6DdNlykEp2jRmx

Thanks for the link, I've tried this with wire in the past but didn't like the results too much, yours look much better.
Cheers

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2023, 01:10:21 PM »
Thanks for the link, I've tried this with wire in the past but didn't like the results too much, yours look much better.
Cheers

It's the plastic melting all over that does it I think.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2024, 07:40:08 AM »
Slow going this past 6 weeks as life got in the way - good things but quite time/space intensive so had no chance for solo gaming.

Part Four: The Chance of a Lunchtime

DELBOY:

We made it.

I can see the old mine from the satellite photo; a cluster of drab, saggy buildings propped against a rinsed blue sky. They’re three, maybe four kilometres away. It’d be an easy stroll except the air above the fields between here and there quivers and crackles with energy.

This place is seething with Anomalies.

There’s a pile of old shipping containers in the middle of it all too. I tried Pike’s binoculars but the distortion made it impossible to focus.

I saw movement though – lots of things slithering or scuttling in and out of the open doors. Made my skin crawl.

Turning around I saw Marlene checking out an old Hazmat suit, ‘it’s good’ she says ‘ but it’s only got about 8% use left in it’s filters. Enough to run for about an hour, maybe less’.

I can live with that. It's 12.30 now so we should be able to commence a search by 13.00hrs and be ready for some grub by 14.00hrs.

20240116_110558 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240116_110545 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240116_110535 by markndebs, on Flickr

Insertion

The team move forwards and prepares to enter the area in the South-West corner.

The rest of the team go on overwatch whilst Del moves to the nearby POI, finding a locker that’s damaged and hard to open. He breaks the lock then signals for Rodney to come and search it whilst he moves to the next point.

Rodney moves up to the locker whilst Trigger and Marlene move forward.

20240116_143903 by markndebs, on Flickr

10 Minutes

Trigger goes on overwatch as Del Hustles to the next POI, a pile of useful looking junk but infested with the yellow acid spitting plants that seem common in this part of the zone. Del’s reaction are quick enough to dodge the spray as Trigger positions himself to cover both Marlene and Del.

Rodney searches the container and surrounding rubble finding some old but usable ration, a container of murky water and a sealed lithium battery – great start.

Marlene hurries to an anomaly she spotted but freezes with terror as she approaches.

20240116_143921 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240116_144745 by markndebs, on Flickr

20 minutes

Delboy avoids more acid sprays, searches the pile and discovers a satchel of ammunition, grabbing it with glee before moving to another likely spot to find loot.

His rush means that no-one has had an opportunity to cover him and as he arrives a group of Grubbers emerge from the containers and proceed to surround him.

His reaction kills the nearest but there are still four to contend with, three attack him and two are despatched but one remains in the fight.

The remaining Grubber slithers to Trigger who kills it disdainfully with his knife before climbing atop a hut. He settles down, takes aim and kills the Grubber that was threatening Del.

Marlene approaches and searches the anomaly, finding a spring artifact, before using her stamina to run to the next one. This inspires no fear in her and she gets close.

Rodney uses his time to move forward once more.

The anomalies seem to quiver and the air around them crackles with static.

‘It looks like their going to shift’ shouts Marlene ‘ let’s get them while their hot’.

20240116_145415 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240116_145631 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240116_150524 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240116_151747 by markndebs, on Flickr

30 minutes

With no time to waste Delboy heads towards one of the anomalies, suffers no terror on approach and finds this one exerting massive gravitational forces. They pull him in but he suffers no damage and uses his time to grab the bubble artefact then is forced to sit tight, hoping that when the anomaly dissipates it doesn’t take him with it.

Marlene approaches her anomaly, avoids it’s effects, grabs the heart artefact at it’s core and moves away a safe distance.

Rodney tosses a bolt at a POI and it’s erupts with a puke yellow gas – probably best to leave alone if the needed supplies can be found elsewhere.

Trigger moves towards Rodney, tosses a bolt at a pile of junk under the tower and the pile collapses, exposing a body carrying a large rucksack – definitely worth a search for the needed food and water.

20240116_151528 by markndebs, on Flickr

40 Minutes

The anomalies vibrate more, disappear then reappear moments later; thankfully Delboy manages to leap clear as the last moment and survives unscathed.

Unfortunately two of the appear right next to the body and loot Trigger had earmarked, making it really difficult to approach – bugger.

Marlene and Trigger go on overwatch to cover Del’s approach to another POI. This turns out to be a booby trap, exploding before Del can react, causing him a wound (thank god for military grade body armour) and destroying the loot.

Marlene comes off overwatch and uses her final action to toss a bolt at a POI initiating an angry buzz. Fearing some kind of unknown beast she is then relieved to see a mound of crystals are producing the sound.

‘It’s The Hum’ she shouts, ‘we’ll have to be careful’.

‘Sod that’ says Rod. ‘We need to get out of here asap, I have a bad feeling about this place’. He moves up to the POI, becomes a little nauseous then pulls himself together.

Using his scrounger ability he finds rations, water and adrenaline then uses all his stamina to move away to safety with Trigger following.
A loud roaring sound erupts to the East. It sounds as if some terrific beast, or maybe more than one, is approaching the settlement.

20240116_153706 by markndebs, on Flickr

45 Minutes

Delboy and Marlene look at each other and move to follow Rodney and Trigger.

Muttering to himself Delboy says ‘45 minutes in and out, got all the supplies we need and only have to find one more artefact – Cushty’.

Really enjoyed this game although I did get very lucky in pretty much every encounter. Might consider making the final scenario even harder than written to see how that goes.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
Re: Trotter Watch Cash and Curry Part 3: The Chance of a Lunchtime
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2024, 10:16:52 AM »
Excellent report and great looking game as usual  :-*

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2024, 04:26:48 PM »
Nice report.  But, eventually, methinks that "loud roaring sound" is gonna catch up to them sooner or later...

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2024, 06:36:19 AM »
Nice report, the team seem to have got lucky on this one.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2024, 07:12:12 AM »
Part Five: Cash and Curry

Delboy checks their stash of artefacts and counts 11, just 1 short.

‘OK. Looks like a cracking spot to get Mr Ram’s last anomaly. We don’t need no heroes this deep in the zone and I really don’t like the sound of what’s coming.’

He looks to the North East and spots what he’s been looking for as another series of roars are heard across the area.

‘I radioed Sunglasses Ron and he’s driving in as close as he can get, ETA 20 minutes. Let’s move North, check out the anomalies and maybe pick up a few goodies on the way’.

20240211_130054 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240211_130106 by markndebs, on Flickr

Insertion

Trotter Watch move as a single unit partway across the field but it’s slower going than usual with their packs full of loot.

20240211_130449 by markndebs, on Flickr

10 Minutes

The howling of what is definitely two creatures is reaching a crescendo; it’s obvious that they will be here in minutes (failed Zone Event check).

Marlene approaches the nearest anomaly, fails her terror check but is hard enough to ignore her fear, moving into contact with it.

As she reaches the thing a huge pressure wave erupts outwards; luckily the rest are far enough away to avoid injury and Marlene reacts quick enough to remain unhurt and in contact with it.

She makes a quick search and discovers a Bubble artifact – bingo, they have everything they came for.

Rodney indicates towards a pile of junk which looks interesting and Delboy nods.

Rodney moves in, climbs onto the difficult terrain and finds a locked equipment box.

Using stamina he opens the container and searches it thoroughly using his scrounger ability, finding Kevlar plate, binoculars and a disposable multi-tool.

His efforts leave him fatigued and he takes a pin.

Delboy and Trigger advance to Marlene’s position and Del uses orders to allow Rodney to remove the pin.

20240211_133757 by markndebs, on Flickr

20 Minutes

2 huge mutated creatures, one of a kind never seen before, appear and rush towards the party, uncomfortably close to the TW crew who are forced to move towards the extraction point in the North East.

As they run towards safety they hear the roar of an engine and spot their van screeching to a halt near the fence.

The alpha mutants continue to advance and Del makes the decision to not engage.

‘RUN’

20240211_132915 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240211_132926 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240211_133920 by markndebs, on Flickr

30 Minutes

All four crew members dash as fast as possible towards Ron and the van, throwing their packs and themselves into the trailer.

As they accelerate away the alpha’s arrive and indicate their displease with screams and roars.

Lucky exit.

20240211_135018 by markndebs, on Flickr

The Following Day

Returning to their base they are greeted by the rest of the team who had returned from a failed extraction attempt, being battered, bruised and skint.

‘Lucky we’ve got the 12 artifacts Mr Ram wanted, we’ll be quids in later’ says Rodney.

As darkness descended Del and Rodney meet Mr Ram and make the exchanges; Ram’s men loading their truck whilst Del counts up the credits.

Once the transaction was complete the boys turned to leave.

‘One more thing Mr Totter’ says Ram, ‘I think I’ll take my money too’.

With this a multitude of armed figures appear, surrounding the two TW members, and it’s obvious they are outgunned and outnumbered.

Sullenly they hand over the case of credits and watch miserably as Ram’s men disable the van then disappear into the distance.

‘We are going to have to sell everything we own just to keep our heads above water, Rodney’ says Delboy. ‘And I thought he was such as genuine man’.

Rodney gazes into the distance at the disappearing trucks then looks back at Del.

‘You berk’.

‘Never mind Rodney’ Del says ‘we will just have to get back to work’.

‘This time next year we’ll be millionaires’.

A very short game as there's no way the crew would have survived those two mutants in close combat, but really fun all the same.

Looking at the Point of Interest cards it's probably lucky that we didn't explore more as they were pretty much all Zone Hostiles.

20240211_134409 by markndebs, on Flickr

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
Re: Trotter Watch Cash and Curry: Conclusion
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2024, 09:31:49 AM »
Great report and another good looking table. I like your added plot twist at the end to ensure Trotter Watch have to return to the Zone (broke).

Looking forward to more adventures in the future.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2024, 11:05:32 AM »
I have followed this outstanding and inspiring campaign.  Really excellent (5 stars) and in keeping with "Fools and Horses". 

The twist at the end was different to what I expected and all the better for that.

Series 2, please.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2024, 02:57:22 PM »
I love the winter look on this table. It's perfect.
Looking forward to the next adventure.