Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:43:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690845
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Photo Background Book for Minis Photography [KS] Jon Hodgson  (Read 7067 times)

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
Re: Photo Background Book for Minis Photography [KS] Jon Hodgson LIVE NOW
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2023, 04:18:38 PM »
BIG NEWS!
http://kck.st/46sAuKq

So the Kickstarter has launched, funded, and is going absolutely wild. Because it wasn't either of our regular ventures, ie something a bit different, we really weren't sure how big or small this would go! There's loads of news, but instead of typing it all out myself, I'll copy Jon's words from the latest updates.

TO UPDATE THE UPDATE - WE UNLOCKED BOOK 2!

---

Hello!
Wow what amazing progress overnight! Welcome all you new backers!

So the photography tips are unlocked! These additional pages will contain tips for “proper” camera photography from a pro photographer, as well as some more down to earth tricks and tips for phone photography. I'm super excited for the completeness this brings to the book.

And indeed, with that, the first book is complete!

The big news is the reveal that at £7000 we will unlock a dedicated book of sci-fi backgrounds! It’ll start off at 24 backgrounds, just like the first book.

These backdrops will be painted by me, and have a similar feel to the first backdrops. I will be using a slightly different process, carefully incorporating some 3d modelling by my incredibly talented colleague Paul Bourne as the foundation for the paintings. But they will still be hand painted, and have "my style". I just won't be able to take reference from the local landscape, so some suitably futuristic 3d help will ensure the quality remains as high.

Here's a first sample of the kind of thing you can expect. This is still a work in progress, but it's almost done.

We'll have a variety of scenes beyond planet-scapes like this one - some industrial stuff, some post-apocalyptic stuff, and so on, all with the aim of sitting behind your minis and setting them off to good effect.
This new book, if unlocked, will be available in several different ways:

• A new pledge level just for the scifi book (for people who hate moody hills and glens)
• A new pledge level for a signed sci-fi book
• A new pledge level for both books
• A new pledge level for both books, signed
• A new pledge level for the sci-fi book with commercial license
• A new pledge level for the both books with commercial license

You’ll also be able to add it as an Add On if you just want additional copies of either book.
Can we make it?

It’s a bit of a hike to £7000, but of course we don’t want to go on fire making two books instead of one!

And that’s where your shares of this campaign come in. We’re going to really need to help spread the word, especially the chance of sci-fi backdrops becoming a genuine possibility.

We can do a certain amount of sharing all over the net, and as you’re no doubt aware, Annie has been doing amazing work reaching all corners of the interweb. But nothing is as effective as real word of mouth recommendations from real backers. (I mean, Annie is a real backer, but you understand what I’m saying here). Your help will be absolutely invaluable if we’re to reach that magic £7000 and leap into making two books rather than one. So please do give the campaign a share on social media, forums and anywhere folsk who might like this book hang out.

A title change

Sharp-eyed folks will shortly notice that the image at the top of the campaign will feature the first book without the big word “MAPS” on it. As mentioned in the campaign page, when I first started this project, my assumption was that most folks would be coming from my little battle maps Patreon, and it made sense to confirm that link. That isn’t at all where we’ve ended up, and the “Maps” word is just a point of confusion now, as Annie has wisely and gently pointed out only four or five thousand times in the last 24 hours. And so it’s gone! We can do that. Hooray for organic product development!

Commercial license

Things are moving really fast right now, but it is still my plan to share a draft of the commercial license this week if humanly possible. Some folks have asked for a bit of detail on how it works, and if they’re a professional photographer, will their clients also need a license?

The license will allow you, the license holder, to make new photographic works, incorporating my backdrops. You will own those new photographic works and be able to sell them as you wish. So your clients will not need an additional license. In summary: only the person making the photos needs a license.

I very much see the commercial license as a courtesy, and a way to make it clear who owns what, and clarify what you can do with a minimum of fuss and confusion. It’ll be written in plain English, and it’s hopefully a nice affordable price, rather than some massive gouge, or a subscription that you’re forever paying.

Hope that helps!

Right! Onwards!
Thank you once again for all your amazing support.
Jon (and Annie)"

Online modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2023, 09:51:42 AM »
Looks really good but I will wait until its out to buy normally. Spent too much money on Kickstarter projects that either increase in cost or take an extra couple of years to actually appear. What date to you have in mind for this product to get the hands of the backers ?

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2023, 12:54:56 PM »
It's understandable and totally ok to! There won't be any extra cost, the delivery date is October (and possibly sooner), and will be with backers before it's available at retail. I understand that many people have been burned by Kickstarters but it's the people running them that's more important than the platform.

The art for book 1 is complete, and Jon is working away on the art for book 2. Of course things outside what anyone have planned can happen (person crises, injury etc) but everything that can be known or controlled, is sorted and super. Jon runs Handiwork Games and is a well established company, and I run Bad Squiddo Games which is also, and between us we have a number of excellent KS under our belt.

All that said, I'd never cajole anyone into backing a Kickstarter, especially as it's gone so well (ie we're not desperately pushing for funding or more stretch goals unlocked). Perhaps have a look at how it goes, I can imagine there will be future campaigns for even more, now we know how much it's wanted!

Cheers!

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
Ends at 5pm! 90 mins from me typing this!
http://kck.st/46sAuKq

There isn't a pledge manager for this so if you wish to adjust your pledge you need to do it before it ends, you can add additional pledges in "manage my pledge" on KS

Some pics of the unlocked sci fi book - both books now 32 pages!

I sent some painted minis to jon to test these out on test prints

Here's a pic of the first 24 of the first book too at one glance.

THANK YOU everyone who has backed and shared this, or just said it's cool. It's the first time myself and Jon Hodgson have worked together on a project and I can't see it being the list.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: Photo Background Book for Minis Photography [KS] Jon Hodgson
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2023, 06:33:38 AM »
That is really tempting
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2023, 09:05:33 AM »
These seem to be the same as a set of files for home printing I bought earlier this year in A4 and A3 size. Is that correct?

Doug

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2023, 07:27:01 PM »
These seem to be the same as a set of files for home printing I bought earlier this year in A4 and A3 size. Is that correct?

Doug

Hi Doug!

That's the ones, the sci fi are new. He put them into book form as another format for those who don't want to/can't print them

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2023, 02:58:54 PM »
Great idea but I would like to have larger backdrops(A3 or at least A3 width) in order to take photos of units or fighting scenes. Maybe it will come if this KS is successful?

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2023, 11:06:07 AM »
traveller:
Cheers! They're A4 for now as shipping A3 books is a whole other thing with a lot more costs and more shipping risk. There are PDFs available through Jonny in drivethruRPG which you can print yourself though.

---
Jonny is busy painting the sci fi backdrops and additional unlocked fantasy ones, all running well on time. I'll soon be starting my photography guide which is a couple pages in there.

Here are some of the sci fi WIPs, I love all the moon ones but bottom right one is making me most inspired for some scavenger/ghoul schots.

If you missed the KS you can pre order them through here, also direct through Handiwork Games if you prefer.

https://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Photo-Backdrops/c/152681785

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2023, 12:58:51 PM »
Can't wait for October to roll around! I've a fantasy backdrop book in my sights!
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2023, 04:17:51 PM »
It might even be sooner!  :o

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2023, 08:40:09 PM »
How soon are we talking?

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2023, 12:49:45 PM »
Ha, scratch that! It was me getting excited and forgetting how many Jon has to ship on his own alongside his normal stuff! They're on track for nicely on time though! Books are all nearly at his!

Latest full update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonhodgsonmaptiles2/jon-hodgson-maps-backgrounds-book/posts/3908260

Online modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2023, 12:56:31 PM »
Backdrop included im my Highland Miniatures post in thr Fantasy section of the forum. No idea how to post the link up ::)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2023, 08:12:23 AM »
Backdrop included im my Highland Miniatures post in thr Fantasy section of the forum. No idea how to post the link up ::)

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=143522.0

That should do it ;)

Doug