Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:30:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 10mm square bases  (Read 592 times)

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
10mm square bases
« on: June 27, 2023, 06:12:23 AM »
Looking to down scale a couple of games to 10mm and one of my needs ate small bases, does anyone know where I might find 10mm square  and 10x20 metal bases ?

Offline Rhubarb633

• Assistant
    • My Blog - Two Rounds Rapid (Toast, tea and table-top wargaming)
Re: 10mm square bases
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 09:42:02 AM »
I get my steel bases from Precision Wargames Supplies, but I think the smallest they offer are 20mm x 20mm. You could try Shogun Miniatures. They list 10mm x 10mm and 10mm x 20mm in their ranges: http://shogunminiatures.com/shogunminjaturesmetalbases.html
I've never ordered from them so can't vouch for their service or the quality of the products. Good luck in your search.
"I was hoping for a battle of wits, but you appear to be unarmed"

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 10:56:32 AM »
I get mine (and the useful 12.5x12.5mm bases for larger creatures - orcs which should be on a 25x25mm in 25/28mm but we use 1/2 size for all our converted minihammer 10mm) from Warbases and they also do movement trays https://warbases.co.uk/product/premier-bases-minihammer/
They are an excellent store, friendly and can literally do whatever you want in mdf if you have a chat with them.

Good luck,

Balm
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 11:47:50 AM »
I get mine (and the useful 12.5x12.5mm bases for larger creatures - orcs which should be on a 25x25mm in 25/28mm but we use 1/2 size for all our converted minihammer 10mm) from Warbases and they also do movement trays https://warbases.co.uk/product/premier-bases-minihammer/
They are an excellent store, friendly and can literally do whatever you want in mdf if you have a chat with them.

Good luck,

Balm

I usually use warbases for my trays but want magnetised figures and can't work out how that would work with them?

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 05:35:14 PM »
I think you can choose to have holes in them for magnets then just line the movement tray/base with steel sheet between the base and edge layers. I originally based all my 10mm on 10mm square magnets which was great until you get rust over the years (I live in the temperate rainforests known as South Wales) so now I’m slowly rebasing to MDF from Warbases - I wish I’d included the magnetic layer and small magnet system.

Balm

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 08:07:29 PM »
I see previously I did it the other way round steel bases magnets in the sabbot trays

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 12:02:26 PM »
I have ordered custom sized bases from Precision Wargames Supplies in the past, it does require a minimum order - I think mine was 100 pieces 1” x 6” - and they have come in very useful for projects other than the one I initially ordered them for.
The galvanized steel sheet is thin enough to cut and shape with tinsnips.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 04:24:22 PM »
Apologies I hadn’t realised the hole option from Warbases was for larger sizes. It would be possible to hand drill the holes (maybe make a jig) but this may drive you to madness depending upon how many chaps you’re doing. It might be possible to have the minihammer bases made with 1/2mm holes as a custom order as this size would be perfect for most 10mm.

The best advice I can give is to contact Warbases (if you’re U.K. or in a place UK friendly postage wise) and ask them as they are very helpful, talented and reasonably priced requiring low minimum orders (for my custom orders). They are great people and I can’t recommend them enough. If I had more money I’d be constantly emailing them with random, niche ideas.

We (my favourite opponent and I) originally based our minis directly onto thin self adhesive 10mmx10mm magnets (bought in sheets) these might be a possible addition to the mdf bases - just have to watch the overall thickness so you don’t lift the minis up too much (although this is just my aesthetic opinion and thus not necessarily important to you).

I haven’t added anything with my original pieces as they’re mainly metal warmaster cut/re sculpted on individual bases in a specific unit tray base so they’re quite heavy, fit tightly together and are pretty secure when in their base (and I haven’t taken them anywhere). My newer pieces are 3D printed and super light (and at times explosively fragile) and will probably need the additional security magnets would add. This is something I’m currently looking at so I’ll see if I can locate the other older half of my project.

Balm
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 05:17:56 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »