Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:59:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shadows in the Bayou - Dracula's America  (Read 3861 times)

Offline eladio fernandez

• Bookworm
    • HEROIC ADVENTURES OF ELADIATOR
Shadows in the Bayou - Dracula's America
« on: June 28, 2023, 10:58:27 AM »
Hello everyone.

After a very long absence for which I apologize, I bring to this distinguished forum some photos of my last battle report using Osprey's Dracula's America.

I have always been surprised to see that most of the Battle Reports on the web or in some posts on this forum focus on the classic Western town settings, some, but few, on the abandoned gold mines and leave out the folklore and the setting of what I think is the best setting for this game, the Louisiana swamps in the US.

I trust that these images encourage new adventures in this wonderful environment full of abandoned mansions, paddle boats, swamps and the echoes of the American Civil War with its ghosts and horrors.

In this scenario, a band of the Dark Confederacy faces off against the members of the Congregation. Necromancers Vs Vodoo Priestesses. I have taken the opportunity to incorporate everything my imagination has desired, the sacrifice of a damsel in distress to a Lovecraftian monster, Deepfolks lurking in the murky waters and anything that contributed to the insanity of these territories.

For those who are interested I will tell you that the mat is made by Deep Cut Studios for the Drowned Earth game, (imho: the best swamp mat I've ever seen). The scenery is mostly Playmobil along with bushes and trees from Monster Fight. The boats and canoes belong to Freebooter Fate, and I must say that they are a real gem, so I highly recommend it.

Finally, the center of the action is located in the steamer "Becky", a cardboard cutout purchased on Amazon, and whose scale, despite the differences, fits quite well with the 28mm figures.

I invite you to visit my blog, which is in Spanish, but nothing that online translators can't solve to find more photos.

http://heroicadventuresofeladiator.blogspot.com/2023/06/shadows-on-the-bayou-battle-report.html

And I leave you the story that I have written as a starting point for this scenario.
Now all that remains is to listen the soundtrack of "Angel Heart", smell some Spanish Moss, and taste a delicious Jambalaya...

“Colonel Scalprow withdrew to the smoking-room together with some of his distinguished guests. The echoes of the party still resounded in the hall of the mansion and the ladies along with some young gentleman remained dancing to the sounds of the orchestra that was playing "Oh, I'm Good Old Rebel".

As soon as they entered the room, the doors were locked by two soldiers wearing the southern uniform. In the background, among the shadows, barely illuminated by the chandeliers, other figures could be distinguished, some of them moving in a strange, jerky, disturbing way. One of them, tall and stout, stepped into the light, advancing towards Scalprow, before whom he squared with the sound of his boots and saluted energetically. He had a bushy beard and held in his left hand a saber that hung from the belt he was wearing.

Scalprow turned to his companions and, throwing an arm around their shoulders, introduced the newcomer. "Gentlemen, I have the honor of introducing Sergeant Winsborough and his... companions."

Instinctively, Scalprow's pause caused all eyes to go to the back of the room, trying to glean more details about that mysterious group of figures. who seemed not to want to show themselves or reveal their identity.

- Tonight we will go into Bayou Lafourche with them in search of the ultimate weapon that will destroy the Union.- Scalprow took two glasses of champagne from a table, offering one of them to Winsborough and turning around in a very theatrical way, raised his yours.- I propose a toast!

Rise and ride knights of the South!,
Stand to your glasses steady,
'Tis all we've left to prize;
Here's to the dead already,
Hurray for the next man who dies!

Everyone joined the chorus, with great merriment between the clinking of glasses and effusive congratulations to the colonel, hugs and salutations, and cheers to the Confederation.

More suddenly the candles went out, and all the voices fell silent. An abrupt silence settled in the group of distinguished gentlemen in the now dim room, an atavistic horror penetrated the hearts of all those gathered there, installing in their souls the purest and most unsettling terror they had ever felt in their lives. And the source of that dread was the vision of what was happening in the center of the room.

There, as if by magic, the rays of the moon shone, filtering through the large window, and under that sudden and brilliant beam the identities of those who had remained hidden from the view of the guests were revealed in all their horror.

Limping figures with disfigured and aberrant faces, putrefied meat, aching meat. At times remains between their dangling limbs, empty orbits in some cases, repulsive eyeballs in others, detached skin. Covered in torn rags of what had once been their uniforms. There they were, soldiers from the south, yes, but no longer from this world, not from the world of the living, but corpses raised from the battlefields by Scalprow's necromancer magic.

Sergeant Winsborough's companions..."

« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 11:18:31 AM by eladio fernandez »

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
Re: Shadows in the Bayou - Dracula's America
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 12:45:21 PM »
Oooh love a bit of Cajun , have you seen warploques bayorks ? They are in the large side but would fit in with your fluff .

Offline eladio fernandez

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 01:13:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice,  ;).
Of course it gives a lot of play. They're perfect for Moonshine conflicts ala The Duke of Hazzards.

Also, the bayou is perfect for a Gasland game with Mud Tracks Truck or Airboats!!!
It is also the ideal setting for the confrontation of some Modern National Guard reservists, in maneuvers in the swamps against a band of violent and degenerate locals like in Southern Comfort (Walter Hill 1981).

Laissez les bon temps roulez!

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 01:59:05 PM »
As a denizen of New Orleans, I approve!
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 02:35:34 PM »
Looks and sounds fun! Thanks for sharing.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Online Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 03:52:59 PM »
Ooh, great looking Southern Gothic!

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 04:25:55 PM »
Fantastic 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 06:30:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice,  ;).
Of course it gives a lot of play. They're perfect for Moonshine conflicts ala The Duke of Hazzards.

Also, the bayou is perfect for a Gasland game with Mud Tracks Truck or Airboats!!!
It is also the ideal setting for the confrontation of some Modern National Guard reservists, in maneuvers in the swamps against a band of violent and degenerate locals like in Southern Comfort (Walter Hill 1981).

Laissez les bon temps roulez!
Ah yes I remember watching southern comfort with my dad as a kid a great movie I must watch it again somewhen .

Offline Cordvane

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2023, 09:45:29 PM »
Great idea and terrain. 👍

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 09:13:58 AM »
fab looking set-up.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 12:30:24 PM »
That looks really good. It's made me realise that a bayou/swampland is the only terrain set-up I can't do from my collection.

I'll have to see about that (whilst listening to CCR at the same time).

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2023, 12:33:14 PM »
 :o  I like this! And it's inspiring.  :)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2023, 12:53:00 PM »
What a great idea and it looks superb!   :-*

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2023, 07:13:32 PM »
Where did you get the terrain? Very interesting.

Offline eladio fernandez

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2023, 09:35:23 AM »
Thank you all for your comments. Very thankful.
As I said in my initial post, basically almost all the scenery (mangroves and vegetation) are Playmobil pieces. Also the boards of the jetty, the lotuses and minor pieces. The bushes are the top of the trees in Monster Fight.
The boat is this reference:https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07BJBGZPH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Some more photos,

« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 09:37:29 AM by eladio fernandez »