Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2024, 06:42:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1681534
  • Total Topics: 117778
  • Online Today: 1003
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim's Post-Apoc Stuff: SAE30's Zone Run Report Part 2&3..Pg 10/11..25 FEB 24  (Read 18369 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: CapnJim's Post-Apoc Stuff: PEZ Encounter #5 Epilogue Pg. 7...21 Nov 23
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2023, 11:22:32 PM »
Final thought, and I wonder if you should rethink the loot table in the rules. The idea of killing a giant snake and discovering a wad of cash and a red dot sight seems a bit implausible

I have to say that has been something that has seemed a sore thumb to me in most of the battle reports using Zona Alfa for its overarching scenarios. Very D&D like to me. You kill 6 hobgoblins and find a chest with a +1 sword and Boots of Speed or whatever. It will seem more cool if the loot is tied to the scenario more, IMO.

Keep up the games -- they are an entertaining read. Are Ted and Gene going to join you for any of these? Or will you keep them as your solo game fix, Jim?

Mike Demana

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2023, 01:25:50 AM »
Firstly, this all looks pretty damn good, I knew it would suit your style of games and writing,  especially now you've figured out the picture thing.  ;)

The tables all look good, I  liked the shoreline one especially, interesting idea having the docks running out into the water, no cover and no where to hide.  :o
However the thing I  enjoy most is the level of hard competence and authenticity your guy's have, it's the same with your Vietnam games. There's a tension and immediacy in your writing style that fits with the game background, I  wonder if you've had any military experience.  :D lol

I'm looking forward to the next encounter, sounds like it might be against tougher opponents than previously.

Final thought, and I wonder if you should rethink the loot table in the rules. The idea of killing a giant snake and discovering a wad of cash and a red dot sight seems a bit implausible, I'm sure you could come up with something more in line with your story, even if the way of totalling success remains the same in the campaign system.
Cheers

I agree with the comments on how good the game looks and how enjoyable the thing was to read.

As for "killing a giant snake and discovering a wad of cash and a red dot sight," if I were GM-ing a game I'd be saying to the players,"Now that it's dead you can see the snake has an odd bulge two thirds of the way down. You slice it open and a part-digested corpse slithers out. There's what might be a red dot sight in a pouch and what looks like a money belt. Unless you are too squeamish to handle the shredded clothes, putrid flesh and digestive juices? <grin>"

I rarely find it hard to come up with a plausible reason to explain loot. In a 5 Parsecs game my crew fought some unarmoured nomads and after the fight the die rolls said they found a suit of armour? Why would the nomads not have used the armour? So, in a darkish corner the captain found a long forgotten corpse wearing a suit of armour who's batteries were dead but otherwise it seemed fine. A relic of a long forgotten fight in The Sump. She stripped the armour from (most of) the dessicated corpse, cleaned it up and re-powered it and now wears it. Simples!
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2023, 04:53:10 PM »
A.  Thanks for all the kind words.  I'm trying to depict this as an experienced crew dealing with people/things they encounter.  To the extent "realism" can be factored into what is basically a modern/sci-fi mixed series of encounters, I've been trying to play it straight.  Sounds like that's working... ;)

B.  However, the risk/reward part of this has been bugging me too.  I have some ideas on how to tweak things to address that.  I've already tweaked how I'm doing what baddies appear when.  Next up is tweaking what interesting stuff the crew might find (if anything...) once the baddies are taken care of.  Last, since they are in the Medium Area, I'm goin to come up with a Random Event Chart to use with a joker in the deck (2 jokers once they get into the Hard Area).

C.  All this will play into why the military has shut down the Medium and Hard Areas...

In the meantime, SAE30 still has to get their 2 wounded guys to someone/somewhere they can be treated.  I'm hoping to have all this figured out for another game this week...

As for Ted and gene, I've invited them to paint up crews to add into the mix.  Ted has talked about a SWAT Team, and gene is going to do up a crew of freelancers.  Once they have their crews painted up, we'll stat them out and get them introduced into some games.

Stay tuned!     
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2023, 08:54:13 PM »
Ted has talked about a SWAT Team, and gene is going to do up a crew of freelancers.  Once they have their crews painted up, we'll stat them out and get them introduced into some games.

Sounds fun -- look forward to the arrival of the allies/rivals to the storyline!

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2023, 02:06:23 AM »
Well, I think they'll get introduced to the PEZ in this week's game Friday.  One will play the military at the checkpoint, and the other some Cold Bloods.  I will play my crew.  Could be a 3-way cutthroat brew-haha...

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2023, 08:12:29 AM »
Richards had left for the Society's Orientation Course a couple days after SEA30 pulled back out of the PEZ.  They re-stocked on ammo and med-kits, even getting some Hot Load ammo for Pyle and his SAW.  Pyle dug that.

Newkirk had talked to Carter about O'Rourke.  Turns out O'Rourke was a natural scrounger, so carter promoted him to the teams 2nd Scrounger.  Too bad Dr. Smith couldn't get a Detector for him.  It was on back order, and would be a few weeks before it came in. 

The boys were enjoying a little down time.  They had cleaned everything up, and then cleaned it again.  They even had a chance to polish up on some reaction drills.  But everyone know it wouldn't last long.....

About a week after they pulled out of the PEZ, Carter got a call.  It was Dr. Smith.  He'd drop by their base that evening.  They all knew what that meant.

And they were right.  Dr. Smith told them the scuttlebutt was that the military was planning to shut down the Hard and Medium Areas in the PEZ.  Nobody in or out without credentials.  And not the kind of credentials he could get for them.  Nobody knew when yet.  So SEA30 had to go in first thing in the morning.  And by "Go in", Dr. Smith meant go into the Medium Area.  A cabin on the south shore of Sandusky Bay, a few miles northwest of the Hard Area (the P.E.N.I.S. site itself).  SAE's contact inside the PEZ saw a rucksack lying on a dock behind said cabin (it was pinging his detector), and Dr. Smith wants it.  So, SAE is gonna go get it.  Or at least try to.  They were going deeper in the PEZ, so they had no idea what to expect. 

Carter told the boys to get some sleep.  SP was tomorrow at dawn minus 1 hour...

Here's where they are going, looking from the east (the rucksack is at the end of the long dock)....

Here it is looking from the west...

And here is the crew and the cheat sheet.  There are several possible hot spots here, so we'll see what/who they encounter...

I'm gonna do Hot Spots a bit different with this one (see the cheat sheet).  I'll report what I think in the AAR...

What a SUPER layout! I need to up my rural game a bit I see!

And I love the AAR and narration. Something I'm sadly delinquent about as well... 

Keep up the great stuff!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2023, 06:30:36 PM »
What a SUPER layout! I need to up my rural game a bit I see!

And I love the AAR and narration. Something I'm sadly delinquent about as well... 

Keep up the great stuff!

Thanks!  And their next encounter is gonna be in a rural area too.  In fact, here are the scenario sheets.  First up is SAE30's sheet.  Their mission is to get Robinson and O'Rourke somewhere where they can get treatment.  Of course, it ain't that easy....

Because, the US military has set up a checkpoint they'll have to deal with.  Here's the US Military's sheet:

And, just to make things interesting, the Cold Bloods will make an appearance.  Here's their sheet.

And, as I mentioned, here is the Random event Chart I came up with.

The attache case in the Humvee can be snatched/secured without putting all the US chaps, or resulting Zone Hostiles, out of action.  If a figure takes the time to search the Humvee, they can roll on the TL2 loot chart in Zona Alfa.   Of course, this may indicate an anomaly, which will have to be dealt with....and only one figure can search the Humvee.

We play tomorrow.  I will play the SEA30 crew.  As for Ted and Gene, one will take the US military and the other the Cold Bloods.  We will play any Zone Hostiles by committee, except the DHS boys.  Whoever runs the US military will play those.

Here's a bit more set-up...

As they rolled to a stop about 50 yards from the military checkpoint, 2 things happened.  First, Newkirk blurted out "Sumbitch.  The detector is pinging on that checkpoint - looks like something's in the Humvee."  Second, Carter finally raised Dr. Smith on the radio.  After explaining the situation to Dr. Smith, he got Dr. Smith's instructions.  They were:

1.  Get the boys to medical care, preferably the hospital in Fremont.  If they can't get outside the Medium Area, go to Chamber's place.  Marilyn's a former ER nurse.  She's set up, so use her as a Plan B.

2.  If they can, get whatever is pinging the detector.  If it's an anomaly, it needs to be eliminated...

3.  Do not needlessly provoke a fight with the military, but the crew is authorized to defend themselves.

"Everybody hear that?" asked Carter.  Everybody acknowledged.  And waited to see what would happen....

Stay tuned.   AAR to follow...

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim's Post-Apoc Stuff: PEZ Encounter #6 Set-up Pg. 8...07 Dec 23
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2023, 07:52:54 PM »
Great set-up - I love the presentation of information. The Random Events Table is a big improvement on using the generic one in the rules.

Much anticipation for the AAR.

DOUG

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2023, 10:32:56 PM »
Great set-up - I love the presentation of information. The Random Events Table is a big improvement on using the generic one in the rules.

Much anticipation for the AAR.

DOUG

Thanks, Doug.  We played today, and it worked out great!  It was quite the little dust-up.  I'll post the Incident Report yet this weekend, but here's a teaser... ;)

When Carter came to, he could sense there was something wrong with Jupiter 2.  "Where are we?" he demanded.  DeSoto said 'Calm down.  Yer chest is gonna hurt for a while.  I think you got some cracked ribs."  "Calm down, my ass. Where are we?  Where's that attache case?  And why does the van sound rough?"  And DeSoto was right.  It hurt just to talk.

MacGuyver chimed in "She took a couple 50-cal rounds.  Just like you.  You were f***in' lucky it just grazed your vest.  And it's a good thing we have run-flats.  We're on the way to Fremont to get you, O'Rourke, and Robinson checked out."  Pyle interrupted "It was either you or that G**dam briefcase.  I picked you."

That oughta hold you guys until I post the Report... :D

« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 10:43:06 PM by CapnJim »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2023, 10:50:39 PM »
Thanks, Doug.  We played today, and it worked out great!  It was quite the little dust-up.  I'll post the Incident Report yet this weekend, but here's a teaser... ;)

When Carter came to, he could sense there was something wrong with Jupiter 2.  "Where are we?" he demanded.  DeSoto said 'Calm down.  Yer chest is gonna hurt for a while.  I think you got some cracked ribs."  "Calm down, my ass. Where are we?  Where's that attache case?  And why does the van sound rough?"  And DeSoto was right.  It hurt just to talk.

MacGuyver chimed in "She took a couple 50-cal rounds.  Just like you.  You were f***in' lucky it just grazed your vest.  And it's a good thing we have run-flats.  We're on the way to Fremont to get you, O'Rourke, and Robinson checked out."  Pyle interrupted "It was either you or that G**dam briefcase.  I picked you."

That oughta hold you guys until I post the Report... :D

Oh, oh….I smell trouble……….

Doug

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
Re: CapnJim's Post-Apoc Stuff: PEZ Encounter #6 Teaser Pg. 8...08 Dec 23
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2023, 03:20:50 AM »
Pew-pew!!  ;D. Sounds like the SAE 30 boys are in for a rougher one than usual. Wait...but TED is rolling the dice for one of the OPFOR...  lol

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2023, 05:10:02 PM »
Pew-pew!!  ;D. Sounds like the SAE 30 boys are in for a rougher one than usual. Wait...but TED is rolling the dice for one of the OPFOR...  lol

Mike Demana

Yep!  Ted played the Army guys at the checkpoint.  I, of course, played the SAE30 chaps (remember - O'Rourke and Robinson are wounded - from the encounter at the shoreline - in the back of their van - they got to sit this one out).  Gene ended up not being able to attend, so Ted and I played the Cold Bloods and the Zone Hostiles via committee. 

Stay tuned...   ;)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2023, 07:49:10 PM »
Okay - here's how things started out.  We're looking north by northwest.  US6 runs east-ish to west-ish, while Township Road 280 runs north to south.  There is a wildlife preserve at the NW corner, and 2 residences.  A drainage ditch runs along the east side of Township Road 280 (vehicles may only cross it on US6, and it takes a whole activation for a person to cross it - these things can be deep and steep.  A figure can jump across it, but stands a chance on falling in).  You can see the army checkpoint and SEA30's van.

As they sat about 50 yards from the checkpoint, they could see that the Army guys, while watching them, weren't acting particularly aggressive.  Carter told MacGuyver to wait a minute before they did anything.  Carter wanted to see what the guys at the checkpoint would do.

At the checkpoint, the NCOIC was taking the same approach.  He ordered his men to watch the van, but not to open fire yet.  The Sergeant had seen enough of these situations in Iraq and Afghanistan to neither underreact or overreact.  So, for a moment they watched each other.     

Nobody noticed the guys standing on the porches of the house on the north side of 6.  The house was occupied by 6 armed men, and 2 stepped out (1 each porch) to have a smoke.  The one on the east porch must have recognized SEA30's van, and he yelled something and darted across the driveway to a pile of crap.  The guy on the west porch moved down to the copse of trees.  They guys inside got their shit together.

Carter saw the movement of the guy darting to the pile of crap.  He noted the cold weather gear, even though it was stupid hot out.  He immediately knew who they were - Cold Bloods.  "Action right!  Pyle, Malloy, Newkirk - out with me and engage them!"  And out they went. 

Suddenly a pack of feral dogs came running across the open field south of US6.  Malloy fired on them, downing 2.  Pyle traded fire with the guy at the pile of crap, and downed him.  Newkirk went forward to back up Carter at the front of the van.   3 more Cold Bloods came out - 2 out the west door, and one out the east.  The 6th, still inside, tried to fire through a window, but forgot to take his AK off safe...

All this activity got the attention of the men at the Army checkpoint.  "Hold your fire!  Nobody's shooting at us.  But stay alert and keep your heads on a swivel!" ordered the Sergeant.   

They didn't have to wait long.  "Action left!" yelled a private.  Another:  "What the f**K?  It's hotter than hell here, and they're wearing cold-weather gear!"  "They must be Cold Bloods.  Open fire!" yelled the Sergeant.  Two Cold Bloods darted from the copse of trees near the intersection, and tried to jump the draining ditch heading west.  The men at the checkpoint indeed opened fire.  One went down into the ditch (he never came back up), and the other went down too, tumbling across the road.

Back at the van, Pyle was engaging the guy at the pile of crap (who had gotten back in the fight) and the guy in the house (who had by now taken his AK off safe).  Malloy was engaging the 2 dogs that were left, and Carter and Newkirk were dealing with a Cold Blood who had come around the SW corner of the house.

The Army Sergeant ordered some of his men to move up to the ditch, while the Humvee moved to block the intersection.  The Cold Blood who had gone down in the road scrambled back to the supposed safety of that ditch.

At the van, the 2 remaining dogs and Malloy went at it, and Malloy was down.  Pyle: "Malloy's down.  DeSoto, get out here!"  DeSoto piled out of the van, and gunned down another dog as he got to Mallow.  Then Carter chimed in:  "DeSoto, Newkirk is down!"  Luckily, Pyle was holding his own, as he was now facing 3 Cold Bloods - one had come around from the back of the house to the NE corner - but the guy by the pile of crap was down again.

The fire from the house stopped, and Pyle dropped the Cold Blood at the corner of the house.  Pyle moved toward the front of the van, but the guy at the pile of crap got back up.  And the guy in the house came out the west door.  Carter dropped the Cold Blood who had shot Newkirk, though.  DeSoto ran the 4th dog off, and treated Malloy. 

The Soldiers had concentrated their fire on the Cold Blood cowering in the ditch, forcing him to scramble away to the north.  Then, out of nowhere, 2 (yes - 2) Hot Spots popped up in the middle of the field SE of the intersection.  the soldiers moved to secure them, tripping them both.  A Giant Frog came up close to the Humvee, while a Giant Crab came up a bit further away, in front of the Humvee.

Pyle turned to see (again) to the Cold Blood at the pile of crap, while DeSoto ran to attend to Newkirk.  Malloy collected himself, and got back up.  Carter traded shots with the guy at the SW corner of the house, while the US Army Sergeant couldn't believe his eyes "What the hell are those things?" he said, half under his breath, referring to the frog and the crab.  "Gunner, swing that damn 50-cal around front and light them up!  Corporal, get your team up here now!"   

Carter shot that Cold Blood at the house down, while DeSoto got Newkirk back up.  But SAE30 was out of Med-Kits now.  And Pyle had finally dropped the Cold Blood at the pile of crap for good.

At the Hot Spots, the Army guys were taking care of business with the mutants.  The frog went down pretty quickly, but while they were keeping the crab at bay, it wasn't dead yet.  "Apparently, it wasn't a soft-shell" the Humvee's gunner said later.

But with the soldiers distracted by the mutants, Carter brazenly trotted up to the Humvee, opened the left rear door, and grabbed the attache case.

The soldiers surrounded him, questioning him and trying to take the attache back.  But Carter was able to get away, and almost made it back to the van.  Almost.  "Shit.  Open fire on 'em.  Damn it!" ordered the Sergeant.  The soldiers followed orders.  They damaged the van and shot Carter down in the road in front of the van.  And Carter dropped the attache case.  Pyle and Malloy opened up on the soldiers, wounding the M203 gunner.  Pyle yelled "Everybody back in the van!"  Newkirk, Malloy, and DeSoto did just that - Malloy was the last of them into the van, covering Pyle and Carter with his AK, and Pyle dragged Carter back to the van, trading fire with the soldiers..."F***in" army pukes" he thought to himself as he did so.

Once everyone was back in the van, MacGuyver gunned it as much as he could.  That 50-cal was doing a number on the van.  He headed for the checkpoint - if they can only make it out...

Then, it happened.  Remember, it was hot out - damned hot.  And it was a good thing SAE30 was back in the air conditioned van.  The AC felt good.  But those soldiers were almost all out in the extreme heat.  In BDUs, field gear, and body armor.  And the extreme heat finally got to almost all of them.  2 passed out, including the Sergeant.  3 more had to sit down, lest they pass out too.  The Humvee gunner got woozy, but he tried, unsuccessfully, to keep up the fire on the van as it limped away to the west, through the checkpoint and out of the Medium Area.  But they left the attached case lying in the middle of Route 6.

And that was it.  SAE30 got away, but only just.  They would need to get Carter some medical attention, although DeSoto was able to stabilize him.  And O'Rourke and Robinson still needed to get checked out from their wounds at the bayshore.  And, to make matters worse, Jupiter 2 now needed some work.  Last, they left that attache case back there, and left 2 unsearched Hot Spots.  SAE30 was losing its edge just a bit...

Well, as it turns out, the DHS crew did finally show up, after SAE30 made their escape and as the soldiers were recovering from the heat injuries.  The DHS secured the attache case and the Hot Spots, and off they went, to wherever it was they came from.  The Army sent in another checkpoint unit to secure the area and to search the house where the Cold Bloods were.  It is not known if any of the Cold Bloods actually survived, however.

What's next for SAE30?  I'm not sure, but Carter will have to sit the next encounter out.  And the van needs work.  We'll have to wait and see what happens next.  I will say that the fight appears to have encouraged Ted to paint up his crew, so we can stat them up and introduce them to the PEZ...

« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 09:10:46 PM by CapnJim »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim's Post-Apoc Stuff: PEZ Encounter #6 Incident Report Pg. 8...10 Dec 23
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2023, 10:06:15 AM »
Wow - that was heart-pumping stuff…! Excellent AAR and a very attractive table. I like the idea of the the heat-effects on the soldiers; that’s the kind of thing that often gets overlooked in games.

Looks like SAE30 need to rest and refit for a while but I hope to read more of their exploits soon.

Doug

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
Re: CapnJim's Post-Apoc Stuff: PEZ Encounter #6 Incident Report Pg. 8...10 Dec 23
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2023, 11:12:50 PM »
Yikes! That's what happens when you mess with the U.S. Army fresh off its beat-down on Navy in college football...haha!  lol

Maybe the team needs a stealth guy...? Great report, Jim!

Mike Demana