Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2024, 04:02:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1682879
  • Total Topics: 117867
  • Online Today: 1937
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim's Post-Apoc Stuff: Zone Run #8 Report Part 1...Pg 11..04 Mar 24  (Read 20055 times)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: CapnJim's Post-Apoc Stuff: PEZ Encounter #6 Incident Report Pg. 8...10 Dec 23
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2023, 06:59:35 AM »
Yours are some of the best AARs ive ever read, absolutely riveting.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: CapnJim's Post-Apoc Stuff: PEZ Encounter #6 Incident Report Pg. 8...10 Dec 23
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2023, 03:59:55 PM »
Wow - that was heart-pumping stuff…! Excellent AAR and a very attractive table. I like the idea of the the heat-effects on the soldiers; that’s the kind of thing that often gets overlooked in games.

Looks like SAE30 need to rest and refit for a while but I hope to read more of their exploits soon.

Doug

Thanks, Doug!  I use the Environmental Effects Chart in ZA, but sub the "Heat" bit for when I roll a 6...

Rest and refit? You ain't kiddin'.  And hide from the Army, on whose Shit List SAE30 may now be... :o

Yikes! That's what happens when you mess with the U.S. Army fresh off its beat-down on Navy in college football...haha!  lol

Maybe the team needs a stealth guy...? Great report, Jim!

Mike Demana

Yep - see the above comment about the Army's lists....

Yours are some of the best AARs ive ever read, absolutely riveting.

Thank you - I really appreciate that.
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2023, 07:39:19 AM »
Well done Cptn, another great action report, table looked good and even the mdf buildings fitted in well. (I'm not normally a fan of mdf)

Usually when there's a lot of names involved in the story but no context as to who that is in the picture, then I just get confused. Your story lines operate independently of the pictures and I  can visualise the scene from the text, thumbs up for that.

The encounter table seemed to work well, I use them for most of my solo games because they bring a lot of welcome unpredictability to a game.

Bad news for SAE30 leaving the attache case in the road but at least the got away, even if they are beat up a little. Looking forward to seeing them in action again.
Cheers

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2023, 05:15:40 PM »
Thanks, Vagabond!

I'm not sure what's next for the boys.  But something will come up not that far down the road, I'm sure...   ;)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2023, 08:37:12 PM »
I'm not sure what's next for the boys.  But something will come up not that far down the road, I'm sure...   ;)

Maybe a custom scenario to introduce Ted and Gene's gangs, when they're finished...? I'm at the same point in my campaign...trying to brainstorm the next scenario.

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2023, 10:41:51 PM »
Maybe a custom scenario to introduce Ted and Gene's gangs, when they're finished...? I'm at the same point in my campaign...trying to brainstorm the next scenario.

Mike Demana

We gamed yesterday (a weird west RPG called Deadlands - Ted GM'ed).  Ted has his SWAT (ERT, actually) team done, including a Bearcat and a Humvee.  Gene's working on his crew.  We'll get them plugged into the PEZ after the 1st of the year...

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2023, 11:52:11 PM »
Great write up for all of the games, can't wait to read more!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2023, 06:35:36 PM »
Great write up for all of the games, can't wait to read more!

Thanks!  As for more tales of their adventures, all in good time!... :D

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2024, 09:30:03 PM »
My 2 regular wargaming chaps have decided to go into the PEZ.  Ted has finished his crew, while Gene has his a bit more than half done.

Ted has decided to go with a 10-man ERT from the SCP Foundation.  His crew is based out of the Ohio National Guard training center Camp Perry, located JUST outside the current northwest boundaries of the PEZ, off State Route 2 on the shores of Lake Erie between Toledo and Sandusky.  His crew has access to a Bearcat and an up-armored Humvee.

We gamed his first foray into the PEZ yesterday (Friday) (oops - it was Thursday...).  We did a slightly modified mission from the Zona Alfa rulebook (the one at the crossroads).  His crew had to go in, secure an attache case from a shot-up SUV at the crossroads, and get out.  Easy, right?

Well, stay tuned to find out.  I plan to post the Incident Report here one of these next few days... 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 06:24:04 PM by CapnJim »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: CapnJim's Post-Apoc Stuff: Another PEZ Encounter...Pg. 9...03 FEB 24
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2024, 10:29:09 AM »
Looking forward to it,

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2024, 03:44:43 PM »
That's awesome to hear! Looking forward to the report...  o_o

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2024, 08:37:10 PM »
Look forward no more!

As I mentioned, we played Ted's SCP ERT team's intro to the PEZ this Thursday past.  His crew (3D printed and painted by Ted himself) so far has 10 men (2 grenadiers with M32s, 2 guys with tactical shotguns, a guy with a pistol and a ballistic shield, and 5 guys with M4s.  Most have red-dot sights and all have body armor (armor roll 8+).  Their rides are a BearCat G3, and an up-armored Humvee (both Medium vehicles with Damage ratings of 3 and Armor rolls of 8+).

His team got word of a shot-up Cold Bloods SUV at a rural crossroads a few miles southeast of Camp Perry, OH (in the Soft Area).  An aerial detection run picked up readings from the SUV, and Ted's ERT team's mission was to go in, secure and remove the package from the SUV, and RTB.

They decided to approach from the southwest.  What they didn't know was that, while the shot-up SUV and 2 KIA Cold Bloods were plainly visible at the crossroads (and thus, the objective), the 4 Cold Bloods that survived the attack had holed up in the building at the south corner of the crossroads.  They were in the upstairs of that building, while 4 feral dogs had sniffed them out, and were in the downstairs of that building (both locations randomly determined).  In addition a pick-up truck with a Cold Bloods Leader and 4 Cold Bloods goons was on the way to rescue their comrades and secure the objective.  They would enter from the northwest road (randomly determined) once the Objective was triggered.

Here's the map:

Once again, we used a Random Event Table, to be rolled on if a figure activated on a Joker (which also acted as a wild card).  We used Fistful of Lead core rules by the way, and the whole affair was in 28mm.  Here is the Random Event Chart and Zone Hostiles Chart:

Ted, of course, played his ERT.  I acted as GM and played the Cold Bloods, etc.  Unfortunately, Gene couldn't make it.  Since I played the Cold Bloods, I'll tell the story from their perspective, just to put a bit different spin on things...and away we go!

"Boss, I don't know what the Hell attacked us, but Dieter and Yevgeny are dead.  I've seen guys mauled by bears that looked better.  The rest of the boys and I are holed up upstairs in a building at the crossroads.  And there are 4 wild dogs downstairs.  The truck is shot.  Come get us!" Igor excitedly said into his cell phone.  Ivan responded "Just hold tight, we're not that far out.  When we get their, be ready to come out.  We'll take care of those stupid dogs."

"Okay", replied Igor, a little calmer.  Then he got excited again.  "Shit!  We have company.  Looks like some kind of Response Team.  2 vehicles just pulled up to the SUV.  They came up from the southwest."   Ivan came back with "I said just hold tight.  We're almost there."

Ivan again: "We're coming in now.  Be ready"  Igor again, just about screaming: "They see us, they've opened up on us!"

"Calm Down!" ordered Ivan on his phone.  But then, Igor sighed in a little relief.  As some of that response team started to get out of their vehicles, the dogs charged out of the building toward them.

"Okay good.  Maybe that'll distract them."  He thought.  Then Ivan yelled to the driver and to the 3 guys in the back of the truck "Nikita, stop the truck.  Yuri, take Hans and Boris, and head around that tobacco shop, and hit them from behind.  Nikita and I will keep them busy from here.  I want that package back."  Yuri, Hans, and Boris did as ordered.

By now some of the Response Team had gotten out of their vehicles.  They were busy with the dogs, and Igor and the boys were adding in their fire from the building. 

Ivan could hear it all.  Then he heard the explosions.  "Shit" he thought.  "They must have grenades".  Nikita stopped the truck at the fence by the tire shop, and he and Ivan got out and took up positions by the wood fence.  They added their fire to the fight - his AK, and Nikita's old Mosin-Nagant.

Igor called again.  Ivan snapped: "WHAT?"  Igor was still excited "2 of the boys are down.  The bastards have grenade launchers.  I think we've popped a couple of them, though.  But all the dogs are down."

Ivan: "Keep up your fire.  Yuri, Hans, and Boris are doing an end run.  They should be about there."  Then, Ivan noticed it had gotten a bit cooler outside.  "Crap, I hope it doesn't get any cooler."

It was getting loud.  And then it got hot out again.  Really hot.  "Good" Ivan thought "Maybe those bastards will pass out from the heat if we can keep them here long enough."  And the Response Team guys were all shouting in English, but Ivan could make out that a couple of them were down, and with the heat, he could hear they were getting a bit excited.  Then another explosion.  And Igor wasn't responding on his phone anymore...worse, some of them were turning their attention on Nikita and him.  Nikita!  No!  The fool had tried to make a run for that SUV while Ivan was on the phone with Igor.  And those Response Team thugs just shot him down like a dog.

Worse, yet, Ivan could see that they had gotten the package from the SUV and were getting back into their vehicles.  Then, he heard gunfire from where he figured Yuri, Hans, and Boris should be.  Good, they were in the fight now.

But, Ivan then lost his nerve, having seen Nikita shot down and with no response from his comrades in the building.  He could just make out Yuri shouting "I got one!" as Ivan got into the pick-up and froze in a near panic.

Yuri saw his chance.  He, Hans, and Boris made their way toward the Response Team's vehicles, firing as they went.  If they could just grab they guy they shot, it would be a good consolation prize - an OK trade-off for losing the package.  But it was not to be.  They guy they shot staggered to his feet, and was hauled into the vehicle.  With everyone in their vehicles, the Response Team drove away down the southeast road.  Yuri, Hans, and Boris followed as best they could, firing as they went in a vain attempt to stop the Response Team's vehicles.  And it was indeed in vain, as the 3 of them watched the vehicles disappear down the road up and over a low rise just southeast of where they were.

And that was that.  Ted's ERT had pulled it off.  But not without some drama.   The dogs kept the ERT distracted for a few turns, and Igor and the boys in the building shot one Out of Action, and wounded 2 others.  But they were able to get back into the fight, as did the guy that Yuri and Co. wounded toward the end.  The ERT had retrieved the package, and had gotten all their men and vehicles off the board.  Of the 9 Cold Bloods, 3 were dead, and 2 wounded.  And, Ivan, their Boss, had lost his nerve, and ended up cowering in the cab of his pick-up.  The ERT had not taken any close looks at the 2 Cold Bloods bodies by the SUV, though.  If they had, they would have noticed that they were not only shot, but shredded (with what looked like gruesome bite and claw marks...).  We'll get to what caused that in a future game...

Thanks for reading.  More to follow, as time goes by...

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
After a week off from LAF due to being about as sick as I've been in a couple years, it was good to read your battle report to get back into the action. Sounds like Ted & Gene are going to fit right in. Glad you talked them into doing the post-apoc stuff...  :D

Mike Demana

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Nice report. It's good to see another active team in your zone
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Another great report! Nice work, CapnJim.

Along with Fistful of Lead and Zona Alfa, do you think you'll take a look at the upcoming "When Nightmares Come"? I believe it's by the Zona Alfa author.