Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:08:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nottingham - I'm convinced it's a day trip only  (Read 7475 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Nottingham - I'm convinced it's a day trip only
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2023, 08:00:46 PM »
York can offer you all of the “culture” you’ll get in Edinburgh, and more… and it’s doable in a day.

York is great, but I'm duty-bound to dispute that.  :D I agree that York would make a good daytrip or stopover, but Edinburgh has a huge amount to offer - and is a great base for exploring Scotland and the north of England. And it's not doable in a day by any means: there's just so much to see.

But quite apart from anything else, the volcanic landscape of Auld Reekie sets it apart from nearly everywhere else in the UK. Whenever we have visitors here, I frogmarch them up Arthur's Seat (usually by one of the scramblier routes), and they're always impressed.

York is older than Edinburgh…

I mean, both areas were settled in the Mesolithic period ...  ;)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2023, 08:15:43 PM »
I agree that York would make a good daytrip or stopover, but Edinburgh has a huge amount to offer and it's not doable in a day by any means: there's just so much to see.

That was (partly) my point.

BOTH Edinburgh & York have a huge amount to offer …BUT given the original poster has 3 days or thereabouts for the UK, I was suggesting that York would be a better use of their time rather than spending 5 hours on a train to Edinburgh…given he also wants time in London and Nottingham/Newark.

…and just to reiterate that’s not to denigrate Edinburgh (I love it).

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2023, 08:53:35 PM »
That was (partly) my point.

BOTH Edinburgh & York have a huge amount to offer …BUT given the original poster has 3 days or thereabouts for the UK, I was suggesting that York would be a better use of their time rather than spending 5 hours on a train to Edinburgh…given he also wants time in London and Nottingham/Newark.

I think he's got three weeks - but I've misread at least two of his points already on this thread, so I couldn't swear to it!  lol

Yes, York is definitely worth a visit; we had a great weekend there when the kids were small. There was some sort of Viking reenactment thing on over both days, and the children were just young enough to believe that bemailed huscarls might just be the norm on the streets of the city!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2023, 09:05:28 PM »
I think he's got three weeks - but I've misread at least two of his points already on this thread, so I couldn't swear to it!  lol

Actually sounds like Jack has got 10 days in the UK so he is sorted…think the original thread was 3 days.

:D

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2023, 09:08:08 PM »

Actually sounds like Jack has got 10 days in the UK so he is sorted…think the original thread was 3 days.

:D

And just to confuse matters further, I assumed you were referring to FifteensAway's plans!  :D

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2023, 09:15:29 PM »
And just to confuse matters further, I assumed you were referring to FifteensAway's plans!  :D

lol

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2023, 09:28:44 PM »
Before you choose your mode of transport I'd check out the cost of rail travel. I don't know how many are in your party but our wonderful railway can cost an arm and a leg. Yes you can find cheap deals but these need to be booked well in advance. The cost may pale into insignificance compared to other costs such as Transatlantic airfares but worth knowing.   

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2023, 06:22:28 AM »
I think I will peel out of this thread and start my own.  So, thanks for the input and feel to visit the other thread.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2023, 10:35:45 AM »
Hi, do you and your family have any particular periods of history that you want to explore or other interests? Although I hate travelling round London I would go there if only for the British Museum (free) and maybe the National Army Museum and IWM. If on the train to Edinburgh I'd definitely stop over in York for all the reasons others have mentioned. Newcastle has some interesting Roman sites and is close to Hadrian's Wall but not sure how accessible without a car.

There's a bus that runs pretty much straight along the wall, not sure how frequent it is though now.

Offline Panzer21

• Assistant
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2023, 01:30:57 PM »
I've put comments in the other thread.
As to Nottingham, well aside from GW, there is also Warlord / North Star and Caliver Books, all of which can be reached by Public transport, Caliver being a bit of a trek out to Eastwood - but worth it!
If a civil war (ECW) buff it was where Charles raised his standard but not much to see - the castle is C19th and Sherwood Forest well outside the city....

Newark in addition to Partizan (be aware not accessible via public transport - taxi ride from Newark) has the ECW museum and Queen's Sconce a way out of town.

Foundry are now in the middle of nowhere, but a bus used to run through the village between Newark and Nottingham, so if based at one you could visit, but they may be at Partizan anyway?

Neil

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2023, 02:41:50 PM »
Thanks for suggestions, all!

I feel we have a pretty good handle on this trip and these two threads have been a big help.

Cheers!

Offline Leifr Eiríksson

• Assistant
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2023, 01:16:05 PM »
I've put comments in the other thread.
As to Nottingham, well aside from GW, there is also Warlord / North Star and Caliver Books, all of which can be reached by Public transport, Caliver being a bit of a trek out to Eastwood - but worth it!
If a civil war (ECW) buff it was where Charles raised his standard but not much to see - the castle is C19th and Sherwood Forest well outside the city....

Newark in addition to Partizan (be aware not accessible via public transport - taxi ride from Newark) has the ECW museum and Queen's Sconce a way out of town.

Foundry are now in the middle of nowhere, but a bus used to run through the village between Newark and Nottingham, so if based at one you could visit, but they may be at Partizan anyway?

Neil

Warlord is a two minute walk from Warhammer World now, which is quite handy.
Not sure if North Star are still in the same spot, but it's a bit further back in to the city if ya planning on doing a round trip. Foundry is definitely worth the trip but you'll have to either drive there or catch the bus through East Stoke village; the former will take twenty minutes or so out of Nottingham city down the A52, the latter requires the 90 bus from Nottingham train station.

English Civil War museum in Newark is quite small but free, and has some great things inside.
"In sorrow we must go, but not in despair.
Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world,
and beyond them is more than memory."

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2023, 08:17:24 PM »
I think the English Civil War Centre in Newark is only free for local residents. Most of us have to pay £8 entry. 

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2023, 09:22:23 PM »
I think the English Civil War Centre in Newark is only free for local residents. Most of us have to pay £8 entry.

Must be a levelling up initiative.  ;)

Now if for some reason you cannot make it to Nottingham, there's a kind of virtual mini tour. It shows some of the highlights of this beautiful city and gives a bit of a taste for the place.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Leifr Eiríksson

• Assistant
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2023, 07:46:04 PM »

Oh, I've walked in a few times before... not been asked for ID, mind it's been a couple of years since I last went.