Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:28:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: UK trip in 2024 - input sought  (Read 9860 times)

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
Re: UK trip in 2024 - input sought
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2023, 10:06:06 AM »
National Army Museum should probably be on a wargamers list
https://www.nam.ac.uk/

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2023, 11:54:27 AM »
One thing you can do for free in London is to walk along the South Bank of the Thames after walking over Tower Bridge (you are going to the Tower I see) and taking in all the sights along the way. The Globe theatre, historic riverside pubs, HMS Belfast moored along the river, The Golden Hind in dry dock, Statues, small parks, the Tate Modern London Eye/River cruise jetties- much much more, and with the North side of the city always in full view. All on the way to the Imperial War Museum. On good weather days there are amusing street performers and musicians and always street food sellers. If you keep the Thames on your right , when you get to Westminster Bridge turn sharp left and walk towards Waterloo and The Imperial War Museum (you have basically walked a more scenic route right around it)  But if you get fed up ANY of the bridge roads turning left will take you to the IWM. (look on the map to see what I mean)
I would strongly suggest you do those three things in one day in that order (Tower of London in the morning, walk along South Bank and IWM for the afternoon. That would be a good and full day you would see and soak up a lot, don't try to add any more. Numerous places to eat at any time along the way, I can recommend the Cubana restaurant near Waterloo as good  not too expensive https://www.cubana.co.uk/find-us/

I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2023, 01:42:10 AM »
Just wanted to take a moment to thank the posters who've contributed since I last responded.  Trip still planned - but been busy getting wife ready for a five week trip to her home country; too expensive for us both to go, cost of UK round trip flight is about 1/3 of the holiday round trip to her country.