Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:42:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: South American Independence Wars  (Read 6923 times)

Offline regimientosdeamerica

• Schoolboy
    • Regimientos de America
South American Independence Wars
« on: November 05, 2009, 11:59:10 AM »
I am interested in the South american Wars with special interest in the Wars of independence. I run a web site devoted to the South American Military Uniforms "Regimientos de America"

I would like to exchange info about the period, as it is scarce and mostly unaccurate.

Best regards

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: South American Independence Wars
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:33:08 PM »
Welcome aboard!

I am also interesting in the South (& central) American Wars (mostly the later ones like the war of triple alliance ), but I do not know the reason!
In fact I am looking mostly in South american websites, since there are quite a few intersting ones. Of course here in LAF there might a possibility to find some more info.
Another suggestion is the SACAW wars yahoo group, which I am afaraid is not very active. But I think you are already  a member.
Anyhow, LAF is a place you can discuss lots of topics.
Is your website running properly? I remember I had some problems sometimes in the past.
I, also, would suggest you to provide, here at LAF, a working link for other members to have access to your website.
argsilverson

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »
This is something that has interested me for a while... as a wargaming theme, that is. My father is Uruguayan, and mum is Spanish... hehe! But there's some very rich history there, and some great battles.

There is a book that Foundry sell which is called the Paraguayan War, but it is very expensive. No doubt worth every cent.

I would really like to bring in some South American flavour to VSF, also, and I find the best source for this is the pages of history.

Here's a link to the Regimentos de America website:

http://www.regimientos.byethost11.com/index.php?p=1_1_Home

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:50:21 PM by Christian »

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 01:27:43 PM »

There is a book that Foundry sell which is called the Paraguayan War, but it is very expensive. No doubt worth every cent.

That book is on sale for only $20 US right now!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 05:38:08 AM »
Thank you! I got one this morning after finding out :D:D:D:D

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 08:50:50 AM »
Well that makes at last three of us with a keen interest in South American wars. :)

In addition to the SACAWars yahoo group you might want to look at the Liberators yahoo group which is more narrowly focussed on the wars of liberation, I'm not sure how active either are. Nuno Pereira runs a blog about early Portuguese colonial warfare that has some information on colonial warfare in Brazil, if that's of any interest. The Brazilian Army website also has some useful stuff if you look under ' História'.

The Foundry book is well researched, the author has sourced a lot of references, there's certainly nothing else like it in English. It's useful not just for the Guerra do Paraguai but for the Cipslatine War and the various civil conflicts in Argentina and Uruguay in the first half of the century.

There's a good study of the Canudos War  by Robert Levine available in English, Vale of Tears, it actually has some reasonable information on the campaigns not just the political and cultural context.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 08:51:46 PM »
Another suggestion, if I may!

Do yourself a favor and check out the "Liberators" rules and supplements, which cover this period specifically. A good guy has written them, and the rules play very well. People tend to be drawn to his scenarios, in spite of themselves knowing fairly little about the period.

The website is www.grenadierproductions.com. Author's name is John Fletcher, and he has a scary amount of knowledge about these campaigns.

I understand that a set of compatible miniatures is being developed, to include militia with pikes;)

-Doc

• Schoolboy
    • Regimientos de America
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »
After my two first publications I am working now on two new titles:

Uniforms of Pezuela's Army 1813 - 1815

The Battle of Vilcapugio - 1813

I just found out that this year theme for the Cold War convention is the South American wars and that the battle of Vilcapugio will be presented ina wargame.

If you want to see some of the preliminary research done on the battle of Vilcapugio, I have created a blog http://vilcapugio.blogspot.com/. Up to now I explain the battle field representation done.

Any contribution will be highly appreciated

Regards

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 06:00:54 AM »
I have been caught by this bug too, I am especially interested in the Mexican War of Independance (if that counts to South America, that is...). Do you have a link to your website "Regimientos de America"?

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:58:03 AM »
I have been interested in this area for a long time. Some where in my library is a portfolio of plates of uniforms from the wars of indepenance. I picked them up at a wargames auction about 20 years ago.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »
I have been caught by this bug too, I am especially interested in the Mexican War of Independance (if that counts to South America, that is...). Do you have a link to your website "Regimientos de America"?

Mexico is part of North America albeit the southern parts border on what is commonly regarded as Central America. Broaden the area to Latin America and you're on target.  :)

The link to his site is in one of the posts above.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 09:34:05 AM »
By far the best source for Brazilian uniforms is Gustavo Barroso's Uniformes do Exército Brasileiro. Original copies go for more than R$3.000,00 + I saw a copy in an antiquarian book shop in Salvador last year for around R$ 2.000 and that was probably a bargain!

Fortunately for us the whole book is available on-line.

http://www.archive.org/details/uniformesdoexerc00rodruoft

Barroso is of course long dead and I'm pleased he gets no royalties, he was virulent anti-semite amongst other things but the book is a treasure.

The NYPD Vinkhuijzen collection has a selection of uniform plates for Argentina, Brazil and Chile. If you doa general search of the site for Brazilian uniforms you will get a larger selection including most of the plates from Barroso's book.

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgtitle_tree.cfm?level=1&title_id=269277

• Schoolboy
    • Regimientos de America
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »
traveller

I am not presenting mexican uniforms, as I do not have much info about them and also, as Carlos said, it is not part of Sotuh America

the link is http://www.regimientos.byethost11.com/

You can also find it easily in google typing Regimientos de America

Hope you enjoy it

Regards

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 03:30:13 PM »
I have to agree on your geography analysis. Anyway it was worth a try  ;) However, a common interest is of course the Spanish uniforms of the era which is an interesting topic

• Schoolboy
    • Regimientos de America
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »
I am working right now on my next booklet covering the uniforms of Pezuela's Army from 1813 to 1815, which on my personal opinion is the most colorful army for that period in South America.

Here is an advance of the work in progress

Best regards