Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:14:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Figures for King Philip's War or similar C17th North America?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
I am of a mind to paint figures for C17th North America, and I'm wondering where I can find suitable figures for King Philip's War or similar era? (in 28mm)

I know Brigade Games in the USA has a range, but are there options in UK/Europe? (I am happy to order from the US and have done from Khurasan previously with no issues, just wondering about options).

Any ranges out there which would be recommended? Doesn't have to be just King Philip's War, anything that sort of era/early North America colonies really.

For Native American woodland tribes, most of the offerings are for the French & Indian War, would those still be suitable for C17th?

Alternatively, would the Crucible Crush Flint and Feather figurs be suitable? (Including the Europeans for 'Contact'?) - they're the figures I'd be inclined to go with, but I don't know whether the woodland tribes figures are too early?

Any advice or suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Figures for King Philip's War or similar C17th North America?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 09:49:35 PM »
Eureka make 'Powhatan Indians' that might be suitable for the era.

https://www.eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_866_703

Eureka has a UK distributor.

I should imagine that any figures for the late 17th C would be useable for the colonists, particularly those with a range for Sedgemoor but you could also probably mix in some ECW figures.

North Star make a range for the 1670s-1680s, Front Rank do late 17th C troops. Dixon would be squat little buggers against anything else but they do a Sedgemoor range.

Another good option might be Firelock Games who produce that Pirate game that has various colonial factions.

https://www.firelockgames.com/product-category/blood-plunder/nationalities/english/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 09:51:42 PM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 03:11:23 AM »
Parkfield in the UK do figures in 28mm.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 05:37:12 AM »
Hi, I think the Parkfield range is 25mm rather than 28mm so would be wary of using them with other 28s. Looking at my book on King Philip's War I think any SYW Indians would do, and the illustrations of militia look more ECW than 1670s/80s "Europe" ( eg Sedgemoor) to me. I would opt for ranges of armed ECW civilians or less-well equipped regulars . I like the old Redoubt SYW Indians and Redoubt also produce an ECW range that has the advantage that (a) you can buy them individually plus (b) you can choose what head type you want. I've never seen them in the flesh but there are photos on the website. Bloody Miniatures would also look to have some useable packs.       

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 11:54:25 AM »
I have played KPW for a few years and use figures from Brigade Games specific KPW range, alongside select figures from the ECW period by Foundry, Perry, Warlord Woodland Indians are relatively generic though I do make my warbands 50/50 bow/musket armed figures using Brigade, Perry, Warlord and Crusader ranges.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 12:03:27 PM »
So FIW war native Americans would definitely work for KPW, the Flint and Feather ones are a bit too early really. As already suggested, I'd mix in a higher proportion of bows and warclubs than just 'pure' FIW to represent lower levels of firearms availability (although, to be honest, firearms do seem to be have been fairly ubiquitous).

If you do King Phillips War, a lot of the figures can also be used for King Williams War a few years later (1690s).

The Crucible crush Europeans are too early for KPW, really they are 1600-1640s - good for the Pequot wars and what have you. The Puritans tended to be more conservative/old fashioned in dress, so some ECW figures mixed in should be fine, but I would go all ECW and definitely not earlier.
For ECW buff oats or regimental coats are much referred over doublets. Musket rests, helmets/other armour discouraged. I like the Perry dismounted dragoons for a ragged looking bunch in coats (And they run slightly larger than most of the Perry figures, and so are compatible with Brigade/Warfare)

The suggestion of Firelock games is a good one, buuut the figures tend to the larger side so might be harder to mix in.

Warfare miniatures do a fairly extensive late 1600s range that work well with Brigade. Frontrank has already been mentioned.
My KPW/KWW figures are a mix of Brigade, Warfare and assorted selected ECW guys.

Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 01:02:58 AM »
You are right. Parkfield are more 25mm. But they are in the UK which was one of the things the poster was looking for.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 09:52:07 PM »
Thanks all, that has been most helpful, and at the same time I now want to do both the early C17th and the later C17th!  lol

I do like those Ebor figures, I'd forgotten about those, and the Warfare figures are lovely too - anyone know how they size up, and against Native American figures out there?

The Brigade Games range also look good, but I can't get my head around their two websites and that some of the KPW range appears on one version but not the other! Still, seems like lots of options, and if SYW woodland types work for ealier too with the mentioned tweaks on weapons then just a case of deciding which to go with. The Eureka Powhatan range also look like nice figures.

At the very least, I've ordered some books!  :D

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2023, 09:44:10 PM »
This is the website link that has the Brigade Games King Phillps War figures.

https://www.brigadegames.com/kpw_king_philips_war_1675-76

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2023, 03:50:31 AM »
I agree with the above suggestions. If you are set on King Philip's War, definitely go with the Brigade Games models. And for Europeans, the Crucible Crush "Contact" range would go equally well. Heck, you could probably get by with using some of the boxed packs from the Blood & Plunder line. I bought some of those, but haven't painted them up, yet.

Keep us posted on how your project proceeds. I am definitely very interested in seeing how things progress...!

Mike Demana