Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:03:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Kipling and Churchill’s wars  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Genialjim

• Librarian
Kipling and Churchill’s wars
« on: July 09, 2023, 11:11:13 PM »
Found myself starting a side hustle stemming from Partizan purchases. Based around The Men Who Would Be Kings skirmish king’s rules I’ve found myself with an obsession with what could be described as Kipling’s & Churchill’s wars ie the Indian NWF, Sudan and South Africa in the late 1890s and early 1900s. Strangely there are no ranges that cover this with nice modern minis.  I’m using Perry’s to cover off with some heads swaps to give 2 officers a more turn of the century feel.

Also to give them the turn of the century feel I would like to give the brits a maximum gun.  So can I ask does anyone have a Wargames foundry British Boer war maximum gun sat in a bit’s box they would consider selling before I buy a new pack with 2 guns, only one of which I’ll use.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Kipling and Churchill’s wars
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 07:44:36 AM »
Looking good. It is quite interesting that there isn't much in the way of Brits for this period. I guess the earlier Martini-Henry era is seen as the gold standard, and this one is left out in the cold a little, despite there being some very famous encounters (also I guess it doesn't help that you can pretty much get away with using figures from the earlier period if you aren't too picky). I seem to recall Studio Miniatures did a range, but I'm not sure what happened to them. There may be others, but they don't seem to have hit the big time to a degree that I can actually remember them.

I have a few Boers from that old Foundry range, but I don't have the MG set, sadly.

By the way, it's Maxim gun, not maximum gun. Named for Hiram Maxim, the American inventor of it.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 08:56:56 AM »
"Whatever happens, we have got, the Maxim gun, and they have not. '”

I'm constantly frustrated by the the lack of late 19th century maxim guns on tripod especially as one with African Askari crew would find lots of uses in my Darkest Africa project. The only ones I know of are Foundry's Boer war set and Northstars early maxim with European settler's for thier Matabele war range. Thinking about it Pulp miniatures might do one with their German Schutztruppe range as well. Still feels like it's a niche that needs filling.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 01:30:28 PM »

Offline Genialjim

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 08:40:06 PM »
Guys, thanks for the steers not come across those ranges so it’s given me some new options :)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 08:12:09 AM »
Couple of more thoughts Redoubt enterprises do a 2nd Boer war range that actually has British infantry with Lee Metfords. No Maxim .303 but they do have 1pdr Pompoms which is basically the Maxim on steroids. Also with regards to officers and Sikhs that are right for the time period check out Foundry's Darkest Africa British. They are meant for Central Africa in the 1890s but would just as easily work on the NWF.

Offline Genialjim

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 09:14:57 PM »
Diablo, cheers another option I was not aware of.👍

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2023, 10:33:42 AM »
Oddly while looking for something completely unrelated I found Parkfield miniatures do a small range of 25mm ( which could mean on the small side) Queen Victoria's war which includes late Sudan and an a maxim gun with crew.

https://www.parkfieldminiatures.co.uk/shop