Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:21:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690935
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Picklehaubes in Colonial Wars?  (Read 4819 times)

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Picklehaubes in Colonial Wars?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 11:36:02 AM »
Are you planning on using the germans in sun helmets for the sailors Plynkes? Shouldnt be too tricky.

No, I want them in actual sailors' outfits. So I'm going to headswap a few of my Brigade German sailors with helmeted heads, as soon as I can find some helmets I like. It's for the Great War (Africa and my commerce raider games), and at that time the German Navy sun helmet was quite similar to the old British colonial ones. So I may use something along those lines, or just some Seebataillon heads with the helmet plate filed off. I have some bought on a whim a long time ago, and I'm near to admitting that I'll never use them in a game, so they will then become fair game for conversions.

This is the look I'm going for:

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline gunnermax2

• Assistant
Re: Picklehaubes in Colonial Wars?
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 08:11:36 PM »
I actually used that scene from Shout at the Devil as inspiration as well! Just re-read my post and I did mean using the brigade salior bodies with the brigade chaps in sun helmets heads but I can see how it reads now. I noticed the helmets in the two photos before appear similar to brit colonial ones particuarly Zulu wars. In hindsight I could have filed the plate of but I think they look ok now, certainly cant be mistaken for anything other than German, I will post a better pic at some point anyway.

For me chopping, changing and converting figs to get them exactly as I want is a big part of collecting a force (though you could argue that we're pretty spoiled for colonial ranges anyway) and Ive got a huge load of chaps without heads and a big bag of heads, bit macabre really lol. Ill have a look because I think Ive got some which might be suitable for you.
Ive picked up the great war early germans and after this Im going to concentrate on rules and scenarios so they are only going to sit there anyway.

Going to have the german figs in the khaki brown and should look good with the sailors in white. Not accurate and I was only really after some historical inspiration anyway but a few scenes from the Wind and the Lion is good enough for me, plus if you cant recreate a few 'what if' scenarios on the tabletop.... well we'd all be playing DBM! ;)