Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:15:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Using ChatGPT to create a Pulp adventure - New adventure created  (Read 2094 times)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
Many, many years ago, I bought the Pulp Adventure Generator By Gareth-Michael Skarka from https://www.drivethrurpg.com/. Although useful, I always struggled with the imagination interpretation part of what was rolled on the various tables.

Fast forward to 2023 and everyone is talking about AI. So I thought I'd give ChatGPT a go.

In the Pulp Adventure Generator, there's an example of a completed adventure outline:

Villain: Nazi
Fiendish Plot: Acquire Treasure

Act 1:
The Hook: Up To Our Necks
Supporting Characters: Three of them: Talented Neat Servant, Smart Helpful Entertainer, Small Evil Scientist, Dense Old Vehicle Operator.
Action Sequence: Fight, armed, Some particpants, Nightclub, Bystanders
Plot Twist: New Location (given the nightclub fight, I decide to have the adventure start in the PCʼs home city, and then shift to the previously-rolled
jungle location here).

Act 2:
Action Sequence: Fight, armed, Some partipants, Nautical Setting, Props.
Plot Twist: New Location (European Country).

Act 3:
Action Sequence: Fight, armed, Lots of particpants, Laboratory, Environment.
Plot Twist: Betrayal!

Act 4: Climax.

So I took this completed adventure outline and asked ChatGPT to turn it into a RPG adventure.
This is what it came out with.

Title: Shadows of the Forgotten Jungle

Act 1: The Hook: Up To Our Necks

The adventurers find themselves in their home city, which is on high alert due to recent reports of stolen artifacts and rumors of a nefarious plot. They are approached by a Talented Neat Servant who works for a wealthy collector, seeking their assistance. The servant reveals that the villain, a powerful Nazi, plans to acquire a legendary treasure hidden deep within a far-off jungle. With their skills and reputation, the adventurers are the perfect candidates to stop the Nazi's fiendish plot.

Supporting Characters:

Talented Neat Servant: A resourceful and well-connected individual who provides the adventurers with valuable information and assistance.
Smart Helpful Entertainer: A charismatic performer with extensive knowledge of the jungle, who offers guidance and expertise.
Small Evil Scientist: A captured Nazi scientist who reluctantly agrees to help the adventurers with his expertise in ancient artifacts and dangerous technologies.
Dense Old Vehicle Operator: An eccentric and forgetful pilot who owns a decrepit aircraft, essential for reaching the remote jungle.
Action Sequence: Fight in a Nightclub

While gathering information about the Nazi's activities, the adventurers find themselves caught in a fight at a bustling nightclub. Armed opponents target them, and they must defend themselves while avoiding harm to innocent bystanders. This unexpected encounter reveals that the Nazi's reach extends even to their home city.

Plot Twist: New Location - Far-off Jungle

Escaping the chaos of the nightclub, the adventurers realize that the jungle mentioned by the Talented Neat Servant is their next destination. They must now embark on a journey to the heart of the unknown, leaving their familiar surroundings behind.

Act 2: Uncharted Waters

Action Sequence: Fight in a Nautical Setting

Upon reaching the jungle's edge, the adventurers encounter a group of armed mercenaries loyal to the Nazi. A battle ensues on a rickety boat as they navigate treacherous waters, utilizing various props and their wits to gain the upper hand.

Plot Twist: New Location - European Country

Surviving the skirmish, the adventurers uncover vital information pointing to an unexpected twist: the Nazi's plan involves a hidden base in an obscure European country. They must now travel there to unravel the full extent of the villain's plot.

Act 3: Unveiling the Darkness

Action Sequence: Fight in a Sinister Laboratory

Inside the hidden base, the adventurers face a daunting challenge. The laboratory is teeming with armed guards and dangerous experimental creations. They must fight their way through, utilizing the environment and their skills to overcome the overwhelming odds.

As the adventurers approach the treasure's location, one of their trusted allies double-crosses them, revealing allegiance to the Nazi all along. This betrayal adds another layer of complexity to their mission and forces them to reassess their strategy.

Act 4: The Final Confrontation

Climax: Showdown in the Heart of Darkness

The adventurers reach the inner sanctum of the treasure's hiding place, where they confront the Nazi and their traitorous ally. In a climactic battle, they must overcome not only the villain's formidable powers but also their own doubts and fears. The fate of the treasure, the jungle, and perhaps even the world hangs in the balance as the adventurers face their ultimate challenge.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 10:35:03 AM by nozza_uk »

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
Re: Using ChatGPT to create a Pulp adventure
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 04:14:43 PM »
So having created a RPG adventure, I then tweaked my request to turning the completed adventure outline into a set of wargames skirmishes.
This was what was created.

Title: Shadows of the Forgotten Jungle - Wargames Edition

Act 1: The Hook: Up To Our Necks

The players' forces are deployed in their home city, which is on high alert due to reports of stolen artifacts and rumors of a Nazi plot. They receive intelligence from a Talented Neat Servant working for a wealthy collector, revealing the Nazi's plan to acquire a legendary treasure hidden deep within a far-off jungle. The players must assemble their forces and stop the Nazis from achieving their fiendish plot.

Supporting Characters:

Talented Neat Servant: A resourceful and well-connected informant who provides the players with valuable information and assistance.
Smart Helpful Entertainer: A knowledgeable performer with expertise in jungle terrain, offering guidance and strategic advice.
Small Evil Scientist: A captured Nazi scientist with knowledge of dangerous technologies and ancient artifacts, reluctantly assisting the players.
Dense Old Vehicle Operator: An eccentric and forgetful pilot with a decrepit aircraft, crucial for reaching the remote jungle location.

Action Sequence: Nightclub Skirmish

While gathering information, the players' forces find themselves in a firefight within a crowded nightclub. Armed opponents engage them, and they must defend themselves while minimizing civilian casualties. This unexpected encounter reveals that the Nazis have infiltrated their home city.

Plot Twist: New Location - Far-off Jungle

Escaping the chaos of the nightclub, the players' forces realize that the jungle mentioned by the Talented Neat Servant is their next target. They must now prepare for an arduous journey through the treacherous jungle, leaving behind the urban environment and entering unknown territory.

Act 2: Uncharted Waters

Action Sequence: Nautical Skirmish

Upon reaching the edge of the jungle, the players' forces encounter a group of armed Nazi mercenaries. A skirmish erupts on a rickety boat as they navigate dangerous waters, using the jungle's natural hazards and various props to gain the advantage.

Plot Twist: New Location - European Country

Emerging victorious from the nautical skirmish, the players' forces uncover intelligence indicating that the Nazis have established a hidden base in an obscure European country. They must now adapt their strategies and prepare for a new battlefield in their pursuit of the treasure.

Act 3: Unveiling the Darkness

Action Sequence: Laboratory Assault

Inside the Nazis' hidden base, the players' forces face a formidable challenge. The laboratory is heavily guarded, and experimental creations pose a significant threat. The players must utilize the environment to their advantage, coordinating their forces to overcome the overwhelming Nazi presence.

As the players' forces approach the treasure's location, one of their trusted allies reveals their true allegiance to the Nazis, betraying the players. This unexpected betrayal forces the players to regroup, reassess their plans, and contend with a dangerous enemy within their ranks.

Act 4: The Final Confrontation

Climax: Showdown in the Heart of Darkness

The players' forces reach the inner sanctum of the treasure's hiding place, confronting the Nazi leader and their traitorous ally. In an epic battle, the players must overcome the Nazi's formidable defenses and the challenges posed by their former comrade. Victory will determine the fate of the treasure, the jungle, and potentially the world.

So, with not a lot of effort, I now have a four part Pulp campaign that I can play out on the table.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 04:28:02 PM by nozza_uk »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 08:16:32 PM »
That is pretty cool. It sounds like a campaign I would enjoy.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Online Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 11:17:48 AM »
I friend of mine recently shared something he had sent to ChatGPT about a little girl giving a neighborhood boy a rubber ball as a birthday present.  The result was an amazing short story.

Your adventure sounds great, let's see some more!!!
The crow flies at midnight

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 03:39:35 PM »
That is pretty neat :D

I have the same "imaginative interpretation" problem (with nothing springing to mind in the moment, and the best answer usually popping into my head a couple of days later)

I've been avoiding ChatGPT and its ilk, but that does look like a decent campaign, even if you decide to tweak it later.

Now I just need to decide if ChatGPT is one more rabbit hole I need to poke a toe into ;D

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 03:45:54 PM »
So I tried to create another adventure, this time based on rolls I had made on the various tables.

I rolled the following:
Villain: Alien Invader
Fiendish Plot: Extort People

Act 1:
The Hook: Dead Body.
Supporting Characters: Lucky Skilled Soldier, Sloppy Feisty Henchman, Shifty Weak-Willed Henchman.
Action Sequence: Chase (foot), some participants, restaurant, props.
Plot Twist: New Location (City: Skyscrapers).

Act 2:
Action Sequence: Chase (vehicle), few participants, secret/hidden location, props.
Plot Twist: Reversal.

Act 3:
Action Sequence: Chase (foot), few participants, landmark, bystanders.
Plot Twist: Hidden Plot (Kill the world).

Act 4: Climax.

Again, asking ChatGPT to create some wargames scenarios.

Title: Skyborne Assault: Battle against the Alien Invaders

Act 1: The Hook: Dead Body

The players' forces discover a mysterious dead body in a public restaurant, which leads them to uncover an alien invasion plot. They encounter Lucky Skilled Soldier, who joins their ranks as a valuable ally, along with Sloppy Feisty Henchman and Shifty Weak-Willed Henchman, who have insider knowledge about the alien invaders' operations.

Action Sequence: Foot Chase in the City

The players' forces engage in a foot chase through the bustling streets of the city, pursuing alien infiltrators. The chase takes them through crowded areas, utilizing props and the urban environment to gain advantages over their foes.

Plot Twist: New Location - Skyscrapers

As the foot chase unfolds, the players' forces enter the city's towering skyscrapers. The vertical nature of the battlefield presents unique challenges and opportunities for strategic maneuvering.

Act 2: On the Move

Action Sequence: Vehicle Chase to a Hidden Location

The players' forces engage in a high-speed vehicle chase to a secret or hidden location where the alien invaders have established a base. The chase is fast-paced and intense, with few participants involved. They must navigate through obstacles and employ props to evade enemy fire.

Plot Twist: Reversal

Upon reaching the hidden location, the players' forces encounter a surprising reversal. It is revealed that the alien invaders have set a trap, turning the tables on the players. They must quickly adapt their strategy and overcome the unexpected obstacle.

Act 3: Race against Time

Action Sequence: Foot Chase near a Landmark

The players' forces engage in a thrilling foot chase near a significant landmark, with only a few participants involved. Bystanders are present, adding an element of urgency to the situation. They must navigate the crowded area while pursuing or evading the alien invaders, utilizing the environment to their advantage.

Plot Twist: Hidden Plot - Kill the World

During the chase, the players' forces uncover a hidden plot by the alien invaders. The aliens plan to unleash a devastating weapon that could potentially wipe out the world. The players must divert their attention from the chase and prioritize stopping this cataclysmic threat.

Act 4: The Final Stand

Climax: Battle for Survival

The players' forces engage in a climactic battle against the alien invaders at the location of the hidden plot. They must thwart the aliens' destructive plan, fighting for their own survival and the fate of humanity. Victory will require strategic coordination, resourceful use of props, and the deployment of all available forces.

It takes longer for me to roll the various tables, than it does for ChatGPT to 'write' the scenarios. The end result is not perfect, but certainly helps me to create and play a campaign.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 05:03:40 PM »
Not strictly Pulp, I tried the Space Opera Adventure Generator by Gareth-Michael Skarka.

Using an example adventure pregenerated, I put into ChatGPT the following:

Turn the following into a set of wargames skirmishes. “The main characters must [Investigate] [Ancients] at [an Asteroid Field], but have to contend with [a Robot] while being confronted by [a Hazardous Environment].”

And this was generated.

Title: Echoes of the Ancients: Battle in the Asteroid Field

Objective: Investigate the Ancients

Antagonist: Robot

Obstacle: Hazardous Environment

Act 1: The Unveiling

The main characters' forces arrive at the asteroid field, their mission to investigate the enigmatic Ancients. However, they soon discover that a hostile Robot guards the secrets they seek. The hazardous environment poses additional challenges and dangers, further complicating their mission.

Act 2: The Clash

Scenario 1: Ambush in the Asteroid Field

The main characters' forces find themselves ambushed by the Robot amidst the treacherous asteroid field. They must navigate through the rocky terrain, using cover and the asteroids themselves to their advantage. Both sides employ their strategic skills and specialized weaponry in a fierce battle.

Scenario 2: The Race to the Ancient Ruins

As the main characters' forces push forward, racing against time, they encounter various traps and environmental hazards within the asteroid field. They must overcome these obstacles while fending off the relentless pursuit of the Robot. The hazardous environment can cause damage and hinder movement, adding an element of urgency to the skirmish.

Act 3: Decoding the Secrets

Scenario 1: Defending the Research Station

The main characters' forces reach a research station within the asteroid field, where they hope to unlock the secrets of the Ancients. However, the Robot launches a full-scale assault to prevent them from succeeding. The defenders must protect the research station while deciphering crucial information, utilizing the station's defenses and their own combat skills.

Scenario 2: Data Retrieval

To uncover the truth about the Ancients, the main characters' forces embark on a dangerous mission to retrieve vital data from a heavily guarded installation within the asteroid field. They must fight their way through hostile forces, overcome obstacles, and fend off the relentless pursuit of the Robot.

Act 4: The Final Showdown

Scenario: Showdown in the Core

The main characters' forces finally reach the heart of the asteroid field, where the secrets of the Ancients lie hidden. In a climactic battle, they face off against the formidable Robot in a high-stakes confrontation. The hazardous environment intensifies the struggle, with unpredictable asteroid movements and other dangers. Victory will require all their skill, strategy, and perseverance.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
Re: Using ChatGPT to create an adventure again.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 10:34:31 AM »
I've been playing around with ChatGPT again. This time I used a card from a 'Quest Deck' as the starting point. This is the query I gave ChatGPT.

"Create a tabletop wargames scenario based on the following description. "I picked up a distress Beacon on my last cargo run, didn't have time to answer but I am hoping someone out there will".

This is what it generated.

Title: "Beacon of Hope"

Scenario Description:
In the far reaches of the galaxy, a distress beacon has been picked up by a daring crew on their last cargo run. The beacon's origin is shrouded in mystery, and it seems to be the last desperate cry for help from a remote outpost, the details of which are unknown. The crew did not have the time to respond, but they are now hoping that someone out there will answer the beacon's call. This scenario revolves around the desperate attempt to rescue the stranded outpost and the challenges that await.

Table Setup:
1. Game Type: "Rescue Mission"
2. Game System: Choose your favorite tabletop wargame system, whether it's Warhammer 40,000, Star Wars: Legion, or any other sci-fi or space-themed wargame.
3. Terrain: Create a tabletop battlefield with a mix of terrain types, representing the harsh and unknown terrain of the outpost. Include rocky outcrops, crashed spaceships, derelict buildings, and dense vegetation.
4. Objective: The primary objective for one player is to reach the distress beacon's source, representing the stranded outpost. The other player's objective is to thwart this rescue attempt or secure the beacon for themselves.

Forces:
1. The Rescue Team: One player commands the rescue team, consisting of a variety of units that would suit the chosen wargame system. The rescue team's units should be focused on reaching the distress beacon's location.
2. The Opposition: The other player commands a force of hostile creatures or rival factions determined to prevent the rescue. These forces should be designed to make it challenging for the rescue team to reach the distress beacon.

Special Rules:
1. Distress Beacon: Place an objective marker at the center of the table to represent the distress beacon's location. The rescue team's units must reach this objective to "answer the beacon."

2. Fog of War: Use hidden deployment, where neither player knows the exact location of the opponent's units initially. Units may be hidden in terrain until they are discovered or revealed during gameplay.

3. Environmental Hazards: Introduce environmental hazards such as radiation zones, collapsing structures, or hostile wildlife. These hazards should add an element of unpredictability to the scenario.

4. Limited Resources: The rescue team may have limited resources or reinforcements, making each unit's survival critical.

Victory Conditions:
- The Rescue Team: The rescue team wins if they successfully reach the distress beacon objective and hold it for a set number of turns or safely evacuate a certain number of survivors.
- The Opposition: The opposition wins if they prevent the rescue team from reaching the beacon or eliminate the majority of the rescue team's forces.

Scenario Variations:
You can modify the scenario to suit your wargaming preferences by adjusting the size of the battlefield, the specific objectives, or the forces involved. This scenario allows for a variety of tactical challenges and strategic choices, making it a dynamic and engaging tabletop wargame experience.

It's quite scary how easily and quickly it does this.  :o

Online Dubar

• Scientist
Re: Using ChatGPT to create a Pulp adventure - New adventure created
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 08:30:16 PM »
That is too cool.  Scary almost.  Now I see why those Hollywood writers are worried!!!  lol