Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:59:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How to model a glacier?  (Read 1575 times)

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: How to model a glacier?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2023, 12:09:42 AM »
Doing a bit of re-reading and took more careful note of snitcy's comment about WS snow and gloss medium - that is something I will experiment with, sounds interesting. 

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2023, 02:50:06 AM »
For the crevasses (and the rest) I'd recommend a rigid foam modified with a soldering iron. Do this outside, or at an open window, due to the fumes. Works a treat.

This crazy dude did something similar:

Dan

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2023, 06:12:16 PM »
Dan,

That dude is a bit 'crazy'!   ;)

Here is an image I found that more or less gives a sense of what I am after in a general sense.

I will be going for something just a few inches deep and broken up by a couple of columns of stone to justify the three piece model.  So, not the depth but approximately this height relative to the human in the photo.  And probably a little bluer at the face - plus the ice encapsulated mammoth, maybe a human or two, too.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 06:14:17 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2023, 09:24:57 PM »
Wow, that’s exactly the look I’m after.

After all the polystyrene carving is done, I plan to tint some modeling gel and spread a thin coat over all the mid and lower areas.  The top of the glacier is going to be sprinkled with woodland scenics’ snow powder, using Mid Podge or a non-yellowing equivalent.  Do no use regular PVA.

I plan to finish this project during my post surgery recovery, after my August 18th operation.  Let’s see how the glacier turns out.

Dan

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2023, 12:42:50 AM »
Dan,

Hope your operation goes well. 

I have been laying in supplies for my project including a number of Woodland Scenics items - including a large container of their snow.  Also stopped by the local TAP Plastics and picked up several sheets of 'water effect' translucent plastic/acrylic pieces to do some ponds (and other unrelated stuff).

I've taken to using clear Elmer's glue versus the white version.  So far, so good. 

A bit of an oversized distraction in prepping for a French Foreign Legion convention game in October but sneaking in time to work on my Stone Age project.  Awaiting a few orders to round things out before getting painting going full bore - might be mixing up some epoxy shortly to 'cement' in all of the mammoths I have, so far - some in the stuff on order (actually shipped it seems). 

Quite a project.  Hope yours moves along as soon as you are in shape to get back to it.

Greg

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2023, 11:08:40 PM »
I bought the Tundra battle mat from Tablewar, and I knew it was missing something:

https://tablewar.com/collections/fatmats/products/3x3tundra

The goal is to have a glacier wall on one corner and a few low “dunes” of residual snow.  More like patches.  They might affect movement or they might not (I don’t think anything would slow down a determined mammoth).  :)

Dan
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 11:37:38 PM by Cacique Caribe »