Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:41:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691314
  • Total Topics: 118386
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Why put a building on a base?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Why put a building on a base?
« on: July 26, 2023, 03:27:45 AM »
Part of the evolution I can track of my involvement in the hobby is the way my thinking about terrain and buildings has changed. We all love the look of a good table but given it is not a permanent diorama and needs to be packed away and stored how can we make the components so that they all look as if they belong in the same location? I've posted a fairly lengthy blog post on various options and ways I've found of doing this which you can find here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2023/07/why-put-building-on-base.html

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Why put a building on a base?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 04:02:09 AM »
Excellent article! I have found much the same thing with buildings, even a small base helps blend them into the scene. Your modular approach adds a level beyond what I have done so far, but I see the advantages and may just try something along those lines.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 04:44:06 AM »
With generic fantasy, I've found matching the game mat particularly hopeless, as some mats are above-ground on different terrains (grass, dry hill, swamps) and some are below (caves and dungeons). Miniature bases are particularly out of place, since they're divided into brown sand, black sand, cobblestone, grey brick, wood, etc. Fences are almost always wooded planks so can't separate the "inside" grass from the "outside" game mat.

OTOH, With post-apoc and old west, game mats should be more uniform, and weathered buildings should have plenty of weeds and grubby bits around the building that would need a base!

Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 06:08:47 AM »
An excellent article. Great food for thought and you articulate your point well. You are a skilled model and diorama builder. Your tables really create a sense of immersion.

The only thing I would add is to ask if you have considered modifying the Citadel game mat to help it better blend in with your muted color palette?

When I had one of the Citadel grass mats I liked it’s versatility but I found the color a bit too vibrant and uniform. I had been planning on trying to airbrush some variation with a more muted color palette. However, we switched over to neoprene mats in the end for convenience sake.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 06:18:01 AM by Grumpy Gnome »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 02:01:30 PM »
While little of your ideas are original, the execution is quite well done.  And from the responses to your blog, clearly some people are discovering this concept through your efforts.  So, good job on keeping the concept floating about and finding new adherents.

I don't recall the name, but a few years ago an LAF poster did much the same and also modular in his Old West set ups - and very effectively.  And many years ago there were various articles in Wargames Illustrated doing this in quite similar fashion - though I think the buildings were permanently in place with the landscaping.  I do wonder if those bases where you are placing buildings in 'varied' positions goes counter somewhat to your basic premise to avoid the 'plop' in place issue?  I like the idea of giving the buildings more of a 'stuck in place' look.

I have a bunch of farm fields in flexible latex meant to 'plop' onto a game table that I intend to 'plop' into custom made surrounds with fences or walls or hedge rows - for which I have bunches of the said fences, walls, and hedgerows.  Similarly, I plan to create both farmsteads as well as more urban set-ups with fixed 'landscaping' in a modular manner.  The versatility is great but the bigger asset, in my view at least, is being able to setup a fairly 'detailed' game in much reduced time.

One question with your specific models: do you have any issues with them sliding about or not?  I find some game mats can be a bit slick where this might be a minor problem (easy solution is a little bit of weight added to the models).

And - oh, my, yes - storage can be quite an issue!  :o

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 05:14:48 AM »
While little of your ideas are original, the execution is quite well done.  And from the responses to your blog, clearly some people are discovering this concept through your efforts.  So, good job on keeping the concept floating about and finding new adherents.

SNIP (more patronising blah, blah, blah…….)

Crikey, when I want this level of condescension I go to The Miniatures Page, are you sure you came to the right place?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 08:11:46 AM »
Great minds think alike....
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 08:33:38 AM »

Ahh… any chance of an update to your Cold War gone hot thread?  :D

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 01:43:03 PM »
Ahh… any chance of an update to your Cold War gone hot thread?  :D

Quite a good chance as it happens. ;)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 06:24:11 PM »
I'm slowly moving my stuff to Open Lock bases, which is basically the same thing as basing buildings. Is definitely well worth it.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2023, 10:39:46 PM »
Nice work Tactical Painter!

I'm definitely hooked on basing buildings.  Planting weeds and vegetation around the foundation is a great spot to add more detail where figures won't be tramping on them too.
: 3

Yeah, starting planning on an urban table and been thinking I'll need to inset the buildings something like that so I can drop them in but still be able to take them out and store the boards flat.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2023, 08:23:00 AM »
Building and the boards all fit nicely into a cardboard carton. I did that one as a trial but i wanted to be able to use the building as a free standing item as well as potentially part of a streetscape. Still need to do the children's playground/ treed area to complete that one and then, if plans work out, do another set where two of those buildings go back to back.