Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:49:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690903
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Foam tray advice needed  (Read 927 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Foam tray advice needed
« on: July 27, 2023, 09:09:14 PM »
Hello all.

I'm trying with the idea of making a special case for some of my minis and would like to give them a foam inset so they don't rattle about and get knackered.

My question is, what sort of foam do people use, where can you get it from, and how easy is it to cut/shape around the minis?

Sorry, that's three questions, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Rob

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Foam tray advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 09:28:35 PM »
Probably easier/cheaper to get the ready made 'half' trays from KR*. Pre cut for a multitude of different minis or pick and pluck cubed for do it yourself.

*the full sized ones bend in the middle like ******* and minis end up flying if one tries to pick it up from the centre.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 09:37:32 PM »
Oh, now the pick and pluck type look quite good, thanks Dags.

For clarity, I'm looking to fit the tray into a box that is 11.5cm by 33.5cm and 4cm deep.
It's to make like a presentation box to fit all the minis, rule cards, templates and counters in (a very small number of items, thankfully) so that's why I thought it would be easier to get a bit of foam and cut it to size myself.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 11:18:06 PM »
You could try https://www.efoam.co.uk/diecut-foam-inserts.php

No idea on the cost or timescale.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 04:18:50 AM »
Do you have a pic of the models? What material are they, how are they fragile, etc. Also, what else you'd like to be packing (eg. cards, rules), and how much handling they'll have (eg. for tournaments at the FLGS).

I just use plano tackle boxes for my generic fantasy figures, with the occasional cotton square. Inexpensive and stackable. But that wouldn't work with historical mounteds, large figures, or multipiece with spears too well.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 07:12:21 AM »
@Andrew, that's really useful, thank you!

@ced, hopefully the pic will attach, but if not it's the contents of Eureka Miniatures Pigtickler game, plus a couple of dice and some counters, and maybe some kind of boundary marker for the playing field assuming I can work out how to get a 2foot diameter circle into a small box.

I just thought having it in a presentation gin box was quite fitting.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 09:00:33 AM »
The Pick and Pluck foam option is probably good as you have both the uni-cycle and the lance to deal with. I don’t think you will need a very deep foam insert though. Remember to get a layer of foam sheet to go over the top (about 3-5mm thick)

and maybe some kind of boundary marker for the playing field assuming I can work out how to get a 2foot diameter circle into a small box.

String. A loop of string is what you need about 6’ long if my maths is correct.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 09:33:02 AM »
Thanks Fred.
Yes, I was thinking string but also trying to work out something less likely to move during play.

Good point re the foam topper, I'll have to build that in.

Ideally, I'd like a more fitted appearance, so my current thought is buying relatively thin foam, putting a layer in the bottom, then adding a layer with cut outs on top. I'm thinking  25mm thick to accommodate bases.

Does anyone know how easy this stuff is to mark and cut to shape? I'm assuming a very sharp craft knife would do it but would be interested in others experiences.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 01:58:40 PM »
Whilst foam is pretty easy to cut, it is much harder to cut neatly as it compresses, and can tear. I’m not sure how the professionally made ones are cut, but they do have very clean edges.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 04:34:13 PM »
I’m not sure how the professionally made ones are cut, but they do have very clean edges.

Die press.

Offline Rhubarb633

• Assistant
    • My Blog - Two Rounds Rapid (Toast, tea and table-top wargaming)
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2023, 05:25:01 PM »
Justlasered (https://justlasered.co.uk/) could probably produce something to fit the presentation box perfectly. I think they do most of their business via Facebook these days, but there is a contact form on their website if you don't do FB.
"I was hoping for a battle of wits, but you appear to be unarmed"

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2023, 06:18:57 PM »
Thanks for the pic. Since the mini's are "flat", you could sammich them between two sheets of foam cut to the gin box! Place the bases on the edge of the foam, touching the bottom of the base with the box. I do this wish some old metals of mine. If the bases are fancy and fragile, you can take a hobby knife and cut them some room on the foam. Another option might be to magnetize the bases, and have the mini's stand upright in a box. Good luck!