Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:44:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Evil Dave's 6mm ACW - The Battle of Proctor's Creek  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
Re: Evil Dave's 6mm ACW - Dipping my toes in
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2023, 02:51:50 AM »
In Altar of Freedom? It's 3 stands to a brigade, regardless of size, so a division would be 2-7 of those. I'd like to di 24ish infantry units of both USA and CSA. My buddy Karl will likely do similar numbers, with the goal being able to run Gettysburg at some point down the road.

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2023, 04:11:49 AM »
I finished another two units this week. All that's left are the eight command strips, which I hope to finish next week along with the flags that came in for Tiny Tin Troops. Then I'll get them glued to some bases and put in the flocking queue.

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2023, 04:30:15 AM »
I finished up eight command strips this past week for what I painted so far and got the Tiny Tin Troops standards on them as well. I've done some pretty fiddly conversion projects in the past and these are right up there with them. Between all the aligning, cutting and glueing they're pretty involved. I like the effect though, they add a lot of character.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2023, 07:59:37 AM »
Great work on these. At first I thought they were the Warlord “Epic” figures with the strips cut in half. But now I have actualyl paid attention to the thread title, I’m more impressed as these are teeny tiny 6mm figs!

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2023, 10:39:43 AM »
Looking great - you are going to need to change your thread title though.  I would say you seem to be doing more than dipping your toes in, perhaps a whole leg?

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
Re: Evil Dave's 6mm ACW - Basing and another Brigade
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2023, 12:49:25 AM »
Thanks guys. Jon, maybe a ankle? There's always more to paint...

I finished another unit of Union Infantry. I based the other eight I've done at some point too but never took a picture. They need basing still.

Offline Kelly_

• Bookworm
  • ...the underscore is silent
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2023, 04:10:01 AM »
Great job on the painting, and I like your dramatic photography choice as well... the unit at march stretching off into the hazy distance, even though the hazy distance at this scale is about 6 inches.

*Note to self, do not post any pictures of Epic Battles until they look as consistently sharp as these.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2023, 06:26:33 AM »
Dave, very nice. Flags really finish a unit off. Looking forward to seeing them based. Did you ever invest in any buildings? Mine are by Leven but last week I bought some other period buildings from Timecast and they are really nice as well. Slightly pricier than Leven but don't break the bank. Since I last posted here I've started the madness that is 6mm Napoleonics using Baccus!

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2023, 02:25:30 PM »
Thanks guys.

No buildings yet, SJWi. I think I'll end up with Brigade's 3mm ones for the zoomed out big battle feel.

How are the Baccus Napoleonics? I started with TravelBattles 8mm stuff for Blucher/LaSalle.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2023, 03:57:16 PM »
I only picked up the Napoleonics last week and so far haven't really examined them as I am finishing some 10mm WW1 Ottomans Turks plus some Timecast 6mm buildings. The Napoleonics are my next painting project. We went Baccus as Adler have even more insane detail, although we did buy some Adler mounted officers and Generals. I might just have enough concentration to put more effort into these. I will be using the "black undercoat, block paint and and then pick out some detail" technique.   

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2024, 04:12:01 AM »
I finished painting another unit of Union infantry. I think my Civil War stuff will be my next big push as I want to run a small game at a local convention in April.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2024, 05:35:47 AM »
Dave, very nice.  You asked how I found the Napoleonics which I forgot to answer. I set myself the challenge of painting 10, 29-figure infantry regiments, 12, 9-figure cavalry units and 8 guns/crews by the time the family gathering happened at Christmas and I would have to take down my "warm" painting arrangement in our kitchen ( the man-cave is too cold! ).

I adopted the same style as my ACW ie a black undercoat and then blue coat and white trousers with an dry-brush. The only extras I painted were the cuffs on the coats and the pompoms on the shakos. Very easy to do even in 6mm, and really added some "stand out detail" to the figures. Again I based with a light coloured flock. All were finished by my wife's noon deadline on December 26th! I was very happy with the result of my my time/effort spent vs result calculation.

I've since bought a further 8 infantry units but half of these are in greatcoats. I've spent January painting some 28mm Wars of the Roses an now have some more Timecast and Leven 6mm buildings to do, with the 6mm Naps being after that. They are all cleaned up and sprayed black.

Hopefully my gaming group can get in a trial game sometime during February.     

Offline Mudyinsquall

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2024, 07:23:29 AM »
These are wonderful. I'm still very torn between 28mm or 6mm for ACW..

Look forward to seeing more updates.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2024, 07:45:41 AM »
Mudyinsquall, Don't forget 10mm! I guess the questions you need to ask are (a) what size battles do you want to fight and (b) how much time and effort to you want to spend on painting. For my group we wanted "big battles", but in all honesty ACW was a bit of a side-line. Thus we opted for 6mm as the Baccus strips are cheap and easy to paint and we were collectively happy with the result. Also, with several of us contributing to the project we found that it reasonably easy to decide a common painting and basing style. The other thing I would suggest is that you decide on your rules early on as the choice may influence your scale. Yes most rules say they are "figure scale" agnostic but in truth many are written aimed primarily at a particular scale. For example "Altar of Freedom" are unashamedly for 6mm.       

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
Re: Evil Dave's 6mm ACW - Confederate Infantry
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2024, 01:40:35 AM »
I've been slogging through a dozen units of 6mm Confederate infantry in preperation for a game I'll be running at a local convention the first weekend in April. I've made good progress these last few weeks, getting the base colors and wash down, plus a few highlights.

I need to finish highlighting the grey and brown uniforms, the hats, bedrolls and wood. After that, I'll do accessory cleanup, flesh and metals.