Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:31:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691322
  • Total Topics: 118386
  • Online Today: 628
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Kadesh  (Read 7060 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Battle of Kadesh
« on: August 01, 2023, 06:57:36 PM »

Faithful readers, you recall that my big project for 2023 was to create the forces for a Battle of Kadesh scenario with my post-production rules; In Strife and Conflict.  Of course, it took me a while to get this project started as I needed to first decide on a project! 

Once decided, I quickly went to work and ordered a Hittite and an Egyptian force from Baccus 6mm and some 60mm x 60mm bases to put them on.  I have to admit, ordering from across the pond and getting through the Brexit blockades took a bit longer than I expected.  However, the models all made it through and looked great.  To give you an idea of the size of this order below is a picture of the Egyptian army all bagged up!

Of course, the Hittite side is just as large!  This armies are going to look the part once they hit the table.  The Egyptian force was estimated to be about 16K infantry and 2K chariots!  The Hittites had even more chariots at the battle, with ranges from 2.5K to 10K chariots!  Then there was another 16-25K infantry too.  For an ancient battle, those are some large armies!

Now, In Strife and Conflict is naturally a scale and model agnostic game.  It is unit-vs-unit, so the basing doesn't matter too much.  I really like the look of 60mm x 60mm bases in these Unit-vs-unit games as the units look great and are easy to move all on 1 base.  However, the rules themselves don't care.  A unit, is a unit, is a unit.  Therefore, I began to sort my Egyptians into their respective units and bases prior to painting. I wanted to get a feel for the size of the army once it was complete.

That, is a lot of units! Plus, each base could have between 30-56 minis on it.  That means we are looking at around 884 minis!  Thankfully, painting a 6mm mini is very different than a 28mm mini. 
This give the Egyptians the following force org:

3 Light Chariots
1 Elite Sherden Guard
2 Spearmen units
4 Mixed spearmen/archer units
2 Axemen units
2 Mixed Axeman/Archer support
4 Bow armed skirmish units
6 Archers 

You can get a really close look on how I tackle painting 6mm armies on my blog.  You can even see some of the first finished units too.  If you are inclined, you can read up on the Battle of Kadesh launch here:
http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2023/07/in-strife-and-conflict-battle-of-kadesh.html

Eventually, I want to host the Battle of Kadesh as a set of demo games for the local community to introduce Ancient History, wargaming, and Blood and Spectacles to a wide range of people in the community.  The venues will be local art stores, libraries, coffee shops, and other public venues.  Our local wargame group has had some success attracting eyeballs and new players by hosting games in venues outside of the FLGS.  Plus, I have been inspired by watching HMGS_NextGen on Instagram. 

Thanks for looking, and let me know what has worked or hasn't worked for you on a project like this designed to spread the word of ancient wargaming.

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Battle of Kadesh
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 08:14:00 PM »
Very cool. This is how to do masses of chariots. Following with interest!

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 06:27:11 AM »
I'm a big fan of 2mm - 6mm figures for the larger battles of Antiquity.

I really like the painted units you show on your blog.

I have a currently stalled Sumerian era project which I am doing in 6mm on 60mm square bases.

Pictures here: https://imageshack.com/a/ZwSX/1 for those interested. There are albums with naval stuff, scenery (including Humbaba) and my Sumerian city there too.

Looking forward to seeing your progress with this. Kadesh has been a fascination of mine for some considerable time.
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 06:36:28 AM »
Accidental double post - sorry!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 04:03:57 PM »
I need to make the city of Qadesh/Kadesh as a part of the terrain process.  Any insight on how to approach it from your work on the Sumerian city?

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 04:40:04 PM »
They look very good on the big bases! Keen to see more.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 04:35:25 AM »
Yeah, I think they look good and are easier to game with that way. 

Here is a quick tip for basing 6mm units. 

I use this Drydex spackle that I can source locally and relatively cheaply.  It starts out purple/pink and turns light brown as it hardens.

You just spread it on the base with a spackling tool and smooth it to your desired level of smooth.  Then, you simply stick the strips of the 6mm minis down far enough to make them relatively even.  Let it dry. 

If you want, you can also do fun stuff with texturing prior to drying.  You can also sand it smooth if you prefer.  I have never really had a dried base chip or "lose" a model during play.  The stuff works pretty well and makes basing 6mm stuff much easier. 

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 08:38:42 AM »
Good looking project

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 08:43:17 PM »
I wish I had some updates, but it has been too hot to paint lately. 

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2023, 10:37:01 PM »
Yeah, I think they look good and are easier to game with that way. 

Here is a quick tip for basing 6mm units. 

I use this Drydex spackle that I can source locally and relatively cheaply.  It starts out purple/pink and turns light brown as it hardens.

You just spread it on the base with a spackling tool and smooth it to your desired level of smooth.  Then, you simply stick the strips of the 6mm minis down far enough to make them relatively even.  Let it dry. 

If you want, you can also do fun stuff with texturing prior to drying.  You can also sand it smooth if you prefer.  I have never really had a dried base chip or "lose" a model during play.  The stuff works pretty well and makes basing 6mm stuff much easier.

I've used spackle on many bases at 15mm and 28mm scale.  I find that if you coat the spackle with glue or Mod Podge, it protects it really well (I have had minor chipping when I don't do that).
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2023, 02:47:17 PM »
Progress has been relatively slow thanks to hot weather, and then a pretty busy work/life schedule.  However, progress has been made!

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2023/10/on-painting-desk-battle-of-kadesh.html

Mostly, I have been working on infantry units for the Egyptian forces.  This included four bases of archer skirmishers and 4 bases of Auxiliary infantry with bow support. 

Here are some skirmishers.  The sharp eyed may see that two units are Egyptians, while two units are also darker skinned Nubians for a change of pace. 

Here are the melee infantry bases with bow armed support.  In this place, and during this time the bow was the dominant weapon of the battle field and firepower was king!

Here is the Egyptian force so far approaching an oasis.  No chariots yet, as I am working on the backbone of the force. 

I have also been working on the "scenario" for Kadesh as well.  I will share that shortly.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2023, 08:55:23 AM »
Coming along nicely

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2023, 12:18:41 PM »
Nice looking armies! well done.

PM sent.
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2023, 02:56:11 PM »
Thanks all.  I need this inspiration to keep grinding away on this project! The batch painting has been killing me on this project! 

I am working on 6 bases of archers now for the Egyptians.  Each base has about 14 strips of models on them.  2 command and 12 of archers.  Each strip is 4 guys, so 56 models per base. 

Ugh. They are all undercoated, and I am working through skin.  Killing me.

Offline nikkobourges

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2023, 07:08:14 AM »
Hello,

Nice looking army !!!

Nikkobourges