Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Priming and gluing plastic 1/72 figures - any help appreciated  (Read 761 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
I just purchased a bag of 1/72 WWII figures to help resuscitate my moribund East Front Crossfire project. It has lain fallow for a decade or so and I have managed to forget many of the basics.

How should I prime these guys? I intend to use drybrush and wash techniques. I spray prime metal in grey, drybrush white.

And for the few that need assembly (like Degtyaryov guns), what glue do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Priming and gluing plastic 1/72 figures - any help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 02:21:16 PM »
If these are soft plastic 1/72 dudes, of the Airifx type, I thoroughly recommend brushing them with (very) slightly diluted PVA/woodglue either before priming or before final varnish. It dries clear and forms a flexible shield to help prevent paint flaking off when delicate bits bend. For primer I tend to use a brush-on - my personal fave is Vallejo black primer which is fairly cheap and comes in a big bottle, not the usual little Vallejo dropper bottles. For glue I use Humbrol poly cement, which with the brushed-on PVA/woodglue forms a decent enough bond.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 08:52:57 PM »
There's a product put out by Selleys here in NZ and Australia called "All Plastics". It's a two-stage process, with each surface primed with a felt pen (don't know what's in it) and then bonded with something like cyanoacrylate gel (again, don't know exactly what it is).

I've done head-swaps and other conversions with all sorts of soft plastic figures using this stuff, and it hasn't let me down yet. I can wave a figure around, holding on to it's newly-glued head, and it won't let go.

I expect the same thing is available elsewhere in the world, though probably under another name.

As for priming soft minis, I've had good results from Rustoleum aerosol primers — there's one that specifically states on the label that it's intended for plastics as well as metal.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 12:33:26 PM »
I’ve found that artist acrylic paint, straight from the tube, makes a great primer for soft plastic figures. Like PVA, it forms a flexible layer which is a good base for further paint. I usually use a mid brown (Liquitex Bronze Yellow) but whatever colour fits with your painting technique is good