Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:10:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The path to madness starts here!  (Read 5403 times)

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
Re: The path to madness starts here!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2023, 06:45:47 PM »
Amazing stuff, where are the buildings from?

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2023, 07:45:51 PM »
Thanks, the ruined church is from Slug Industries now sold by Brigade Models. The buildings in the second game are Dark ages buildings from Leven miniatures

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2023, 01:07:59 PM »
I've finished my Wood Elves warband. The figures are mostly Microworld which are wonderful sculpts, except the Eagle and mounted rider which are from Irregular and also very good figures.

The details and flowing capes were a joy to paint for these and I must get more Microworld figures

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2023, 07:58:01 PM »
I like those a lot! Great work on such tiny details!

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2023, 06:48:15 AM »
The project has expanded with the arrival of some 6mm Orcs from Perfect Six. These will be more classic opponents against my good forces of Humans, Elves and eventually Dwarves.

I pretty much ordered one of each packet along with some Trolls, Wolves and wattle fences

As you can see they are great figures with plenty of character, especially considering the scale.

Command figures Shaman, Chief, Std Bearer and Musician) and an Orc Bow

Various Warriors

Chariot

Troll, wolves and an Orc for size comparison

Boar Riders

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2023, 07:31:17 AM »
A little while back I played the third game in my solo Song Of Blades and heroes campaign. The scenario this time was Seize the high ground

The Orcs have pursued the Knights back to an area with an old ruined temple, where the knights decide to make a stand. Each turn the temple is occupied that side gains a victory point

Both sides start on opposite sides of the table with a ruined temple on top of a hill.

The first turn has both sides advancing towards the temple but the knights are slowed down by their heavy armour, while their archers climb the hill.

In turn two the fast moving Ogre gets 3 successful activations and reaches the summit of the hill, claiming the temple. But their success is short lived as one of the human archers moves up and fires an aimed shot, killing the Ogre.

Then the other archer activations and moves to the top and the humans gain 1 VP at the end of the turn. The foot knights are also moving slowly up the hill in a group while mounted knight tries an outflanking manoeuvre.

Turn 3 starts badly for the Knights, with the commander failing all 3 activations, so there will be no group moves for the knights and each one activates indivdually.

An Orc archer takes a shot at the mounted knight from the hill but misses.

Then the Orc warchief and a warrior charge the mounted knight but the result is a draw

Meanwhile an Orc reaches the summit and attacks the lonely human archer, who is pulverised by a power blow from the Orc. The remaining human archer shoots back but misses, and the Orc warband ends the turn with a VP.

More Orcs scale the hill and another reaches the temple, while the foot knight trudge slowly forwards.

In the next turn the Orcs and knights fight it out. The Orcs win a combat but the heavy armour saves the knight, while in another combat an Orc is knocked down

Back to the combat between the Mounted knight and the Orc warchief, the warchief lands a power blow and kills the mounted knight with a 6-1 dice roll!

Now the game devolves into a big scrum ensues on the top of the hill. The warchief and another Orc moves up the hill while a different Orcs is knocked down in combat.

The knights make a push for the summit, challenging the Orc inside the ruined temple.

An archer joins the attack and manages to knock down the Orc but in the background an orc stands up and knocks down a knight.

The Orc warchief attacks the prone Knight and with a mighty blow kills him.

However it is too late for the Orcs, as the Orc on the temple floor is killed and the orc morale breaks. The warchief retreats slowly but the Orc archer has fled the battlefield.

In the aftermath there is a pretty heavy toll for both sides. The Orcs lost 2 warriors and a Ogre during the game. Both the Ogre and a Orc were killed outright and the other Orc suffered a moderate injury and will be -1 Quality for the next game. The Knights had a Mounted knight, Foot knight and an Archer taken out during the battle. The foot knight died but the mounted knight made a fully recovery and the Archer must miss the next game.

In the exploration phase the Orcs were attacked by a band of Elf brigands. The Warchief killed 5 Elves but was wounded, and now has gained the Hatred:Elves ability.

The Knights were camping that night and were visited by a ghost of an adventurer, who begged to for your party avenge his death. In the next game if the character that killed the adventurer is killed then the character that killed him gains an extra XP.

Thoughts on the game.
It was a closer game with the Knight only one figure off a morale roll so the results could have gone either way. However the game turned into a big scrum I the middle which was due to the scenario so I will look for a scenario where there are a few more objectives scattered around to make it interesting.

And a note on the terrain. When I made the model of the ruined temple on the hill it was to decorate the table, not to try and move figures over it, so they were constantly falling over! Since I’m using such a small table I have to use some smaller terrain pieces but for the hills they look too small, or the sides are too steep.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2023, 08:26:43 PM »
I've been pondering my next steps for this campaign. Although I've been wargaming for a long time, creating a narrative wargames campaign is new to me and I'm making it up as I go along. It is mostly driven by the campaign system in Songs of Deeds and Glory but I feel like there is a lack of an overarching story. I'll probably play another 3 games and then wrap up this campaign and work on a better one for the next campaign. Now I have some  more warbands painted I can introduce them for different scenarios to keep it interesting and broaden the campaign.

Offline Germy

• Scientist
    • Germy.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2023, 08:57:19 PM »
Loving the idea of this, I've always had a fondness for the smaller scales.
Have you thought of repurposing larger scale figures as monsters?

Years ago I used two 28mm skeletons from Otherworld miniatures as undead giants
in a 10mm fantasy game. I swapped the weapons for tree trunks.

To counter the undead giants I bought the halfling barbarian from Heresy Miniatures, still
haven't painted it but it looks perfect as a giant next to smaller scale miniatures

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2023, 04:45:59 AM »
Loving the idea of this, I've always had a fondness for the smaller scales.
Have you thought of repurposing larger scale figures as monsters?

Yes great idea. I have some 28mm fantasy I will be repurposing for this including skeletons. I also picked up some Reaper Bones Dragon hatchlings to use.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2023, 06:54:02 AM »
I've completed my Orc warband from the Perfect Six Orcs I purchased recently. I added a flag to the standard out of greenstuff but otherwise I didn't convert them. They are lovely figures but challenging to photograph and the pictures don't really do them justice.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 06:58:30 AM by 6mmfan »

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2023, 06:28:51 PM »
love the troll.  Cute little greenies