Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:32:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bronze Age Midgard Game  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Bronze Age Midgard Game
« on: September 05, 2023, 10:51:22 PM »
We ran a playtest of what we hope is the final version of James Moriss's forthcoming Midgard rules, we used my North European Bronze Age collection, great game at East Leeds Club, details on the blog here:

https://gapagnw.blogspot.com/2023/08/midgard-bronze-age-playtest.html

+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
Re: Bronze Age Midgard Game
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 12:12:56 AM »
Good looking armies.

Referring to the name of the rule set are they aimed at Scandinavian and Northern European games only or can they cover all Bronze era games eg chariot heavy Hittite and Egyptian armies clashing?
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 08:57:40 AM »
Interesting report Roger and lovely miniatures as always.  I'll have to pick these up when they come out.

James has quite a neat magnetic basing idea on his blog.  Recently I've been multi-basing for ADLG but it's always a difficult question.

https://mogsymakes.net/making-magnetic-unit-bases-for-midgard/

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 12:58:47 PM »
As far as I know they are not specifically aimed at Northern Europe. I'll happily defer to people more "in thee know" than I am, but when I saw a game at Partizan back in 2021 and spoke to the very friendly author, I got the distinct impression that he is trying to something a bit akin to Warhammer with more "characters" than many rulesets. There may also be a role for magic or at least "superstition" and hence the rules can play for either straight "historical" or quasi-fantasy.  Thus they should work well with armies where leaders feature prominently as fighters and maybe you have things like shamans. I have a long-dormant Foundry Bronze Age North European army that I want to use with these rules.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 03:43:12 PM »
The rules are aimed at "Heroic Warfare" so a really good fit for many dark age armies and the bronze age in the mediteranian. They have the ability to add magic and so can also be used for Fantasy armies, the idea of "reputation" and single combat are central so any culture that has these will probably fit.

James has played Dark Age Britain, EL Cid and mythic Irish and is also working on a Trojan era force, North European Bronze age is just the period I have armies for that are in search of good rules.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 01:17:00 PM »
Roger and SJW are pretty much spot on - it's a battle system where the heroes are essential to the narrative - so will suit any 'heroic' setting.  There's a page on my website with way more information: https://mogsymakes.net/midgard/

It's still deep in editing with Too Fat Lardies but hopefully we'll have some release news relatively soon.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 01:55:57 PM »
James, thanks for the update. It seems a long time since I spoke to you at Partizan back in October 2021 straight after lockdown. Really looking forward to seeing the final version.

Offline Ran The Cid

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 06:18:26 PM »
How is the army building experience with the Midgard rules?  I miss the list building that WAB was so good at, and the El Cid book was excellent for messing around with points and units.  The previews for Midgard seems to show a lot of variables - characters, magic, monsters and so on.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 06:15:12 PM »
How is the army building experience with the Midgard rules?  I miss the list building that WAB was so good at, and the El Cid book was excellent for messing around with points and units.  The previews for Midgard seems to show a lot of variables - characters, magic, monsters and so on.

There is some list building, although I will stress that it is by no means intended as a tournament game (I know you weren’t suggesting that, but thought I’d mention it). Units and heroes are chosen from a list along with traits to characterise them.  There’s many options available (to cover the wide range of potential settings), but you won’t use them all at once.