Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:32:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best rules for late Byzantines?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline jamesbeil

• Lurker
Best rules for late Byzantines?
« on: September 10, 2023, 09:24:14 AM »
Im working on some venetian 'allies' for my Palaiologid Byzantine forces and I was wondering what the best set of rules for the 14/15th century twilight of the Empire are? there's a few WABbers in our local club but WAB 2.0 doesn't have a list for a late Byzantine army. I've heard good things about Lion Rampant, anything else people would recommend?

P.S. The Perry 'Mercenaries' box is brilliant if you're after some cheap plastics for the italian or western european soldiers-for-hire of the age - perhaps with one or two of their foot knights as officers.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Best rules for late Byzantines?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 10:22:24 AM »
James, what scale of battle do you plan to fight?  From memory Lion Rampant is "large skirmish" with say 6-8 units of 6-10 figures so no great figure count.  My personal favourite set is Simon Miller's "To the Strongest" but it is for larger scale battles with a typical unit count of say 20+ units. There are lists for late Byzantines and their enemies in the e-book of  Medieval army lists. James Morris is writing a set called Midgard which is meant to be quite WAB-like using characters and the such like. I will be investing in this when it is released.   

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 12:56:14 PM »
You can go big with Lion Rampant. We refought Dyrrhachium 1081 - Byzantines vs Normans with 20odd units aside.

Offline jamesbeil

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 03:37:02 PM »
James, what scale of battle do you plan to fight?  From memory Lion Rampant is "large skirmish" with say 6-8 units of 6-10 figures so no great figure count.  My personal favourite set is Simon Miller's "To the Strongest" but it is for larger scale battles with a typical unit count of say 20+ units. There are lists for late Byzantines and their enemies in the e-book of  Medieval army lists. James Morris is writing a set called Midgard which is meant to be quite WAB-like using characters and the such like. I will be investing in this when it is released.   

I do like a big rank-and-flank battle, around a hundred miniatures? I could probably put more out with my dark ages levies but they're a little out of time - between the 'byzantine' natives, the varangians, and my italians I'll have about 140 plus two dozen heavy horse, so enough for a big engagement at 28mm.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 07:54:11 PM »
James, as a matter of interest, are there any appropriate miniatures for Turkish forces from this time.  I have developed some interest in this area after reading the Tom Swan books (and the earlier Civalry series, both by Christian Cameron).  I look forward to seeing what you do with this.

Offline Rochejaquelein

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 10:29:42 PM »
James, as a matter of interest, are there any appropriate miniatures for Turkish forces from this time.  I have developed some interest in this area after reading the Tom Swan books (and the earlier Civalry series, both by Christian Cameron).  I look forward to seeing what you do with this.
Wargames Atlantic has two STL files for early Ottomans
https://wargamesatlantic.com/collections/ancients-to-colonial/products/ottoman-armored-infantry
https://wargamesatlantic.com/collections/ancients-to-colonial/products/turkic-light-cavalry