Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:07:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fistful of Lead for Pirate Adventury Games?  (Read 1635 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Fistful of Lead for Pirate Adventury Games?
« on: September 05, 2023, 04:26:58 AM »
I'm not talking role playing adventures, more of an "Adventure" with miniatures game in a semi-historical way.  So, please, not role-playing thoughts.

I've run Very Large to Very Huge pirate games but I'm thinking more in terms of a more 'intimate' level of pirate gaming, instead of say 32 players only 4-6 at most, maybe 8, maybe 4 players but run the game multiple times(?).  To that end, I'm wondering what experience - if any - LAF members have had using Fistful of Lead (including Big Battles) for pirate games of this type?

I'm thinking that each player should have a Personal Figure Character (probably based with a couple of sidekicks) as well as a force of other figures which FFOL caters to well.  Just hoping others can chime in with how it worked for them.

I certainly have more than enough figures, ships, boats, etc., to do this and now have some very characterful 3D printed buildings (still to paint - and many other non 3D buildings already painted, even a star fort) to drive towards this goal.

Hope to hear from some of you soon! 

And thanks.

PS - I really want to go "all out" on making a really cool to play on set-up.  And, yes, of course it can be done in 15 mm.  See Wingnuts magnificent - but very large - games for a goodly portion of my inspiration.  Probably add in the triple canopy jungle 'in process' to go with my masses of palm trees and smattering of mangroves (with some still unpainted 3D additions for that last).

Pirates are addictive and will haunt your dreams... :o lol

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: Fistful of Lead for Pirate Adventury Games?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 05:28:43 PM »
Well, I can't help with Pirates specifically, but we've used the Fistful of Lead stable of games for Old West, Anglo-Zulu War, US Prohibition Era, WW2, Vietnam, Modern, Post-Apocalypse, and Star Wars.  And it's worked quite well for all of them. As such, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for Pirates too...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 06:00:06 PM »
It’s no real help but I dimly recall a magazine article when young (early 90’s miniature wargames or WI?) that I read over and over of a clubs pirate game/scenario/campaign.

IIRC There were numerous characters with a few minions/chaps each (dashing pirate captain and crew, captain and local troops - both of these were in love with the governors daughter) that each had conflicting/similar/intermingling goals across the mapped island that also included islanders hungry for long pork, a couple of pirate crews(?),the governor and his personal retinue (and precious, eligible daughter) and I think a religious group (nuns?) that we’re running rum and guns and more I can’t recall……

It also had a written account of play through with the various random and fun sounding rpg like happenings during the game (it sounded loose and light hearted and was being GM’d and played by people that enjoyed playing not just to win) and I read it many times as I found it’s succinct world building and the obvious fun had when played was really inspiring. It was awesome and sounds much like the thing you want to create - I’ll try and remember the source (if it existed :D )

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 07:17:32 PM »
Absolutely!  I was big into pirates for a while, and FfoL were my rules of choice.  You’d want the Horse and Musket version.

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 08:06:23 PM »
I've played FFoL Reloaded many times for Old West, and Big Battles for ACW, WW2, AWI and cavalry vs. indians.   I have no doubt that they could work for pirates.   But here's the catch-  how to make them "piraty".   The game gives you troop and character traits to customize your forces.  Its these traits that will help you with "getting the period right".

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 10:39:24 PM »
Balm, please do advise if you find the article in question!   And Nick, I'll freshen up on the Horse and Musket version - I have it stashed somewhere.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 12:32:01 AM »
It came to me at 5:30ish this morning - I think it’s Miniature Wargames issue 167 and the article is called Bullion Bay. I haven’t checked if that’s right, I’ll see if I still have the issue somewhere.

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 01:59:56 AM »
April 1997 MW has an article titled Bullion Bay so that must be it.  I will try and track down a copy. 

Thanks!

Offline dgrosso

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2023, 05:11:22 AM »
The folks I game with have used FFOL and FFOLBB for western games. Both sets work well, and play moves pretty easy once everybody picks it up. There can be some surprising rolls in BB if the dice are hot. The fastest old west game I ever played was FFOL, and it duly impressed me!