Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:41:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What do you use for your wargames table?  (Read 5583 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
What do you use for your wargames table?
« on: September 15, 2023, 08:42:21 AM »
Having finally got round to decorating the spare room, I'm contemplating whether I'll be able to use it for wargames, but of course this will require a suitable table.

Only option really is fold away. 6ft x 4ft might be doable at a squeeze, 5ft by 3-4ft maybe more realistic.

I've been perusing and think best option may be two smaller tables side by side, ideally which can fold up and not take up too much space thereafter. But obviously would still need to be sturdy enough to take the weight.

Just wondered what solutions anyone else has come up with for relatively space-limited err... space... Any suggestions on tables at all? What do you use?

Thanks!

Rob

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: What do you use for your wargames table?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 09:22:07 AM »
I use two 5' folding tables. They are about 2' 4" wide. On top of them, I have two 6' x 4' sheets of 10mm MDF. These are in my gaming/painting room and can be left permanently (see photo). I have two sheets of MDF so that they can be used occasionally on the kitchen table as well, giving me a 12' x 4' or an 8' x 6'. I also have stored, a 6' x 2' strip, which when added, can give me 10' x 6' table in the kitchen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FR3QEF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Online jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 10:02:42 AM »
It sounds like two fold away tables would be best, perhaps with some mdf laid over the top (say three pieces of 9 mm each 4' by 2').  That would give you up to 6 by 4 but would fold away against the wall when not in use.  This is the arrangement in use at the game club I attend.  A single sheet of mdf gets very heavy and unwieldy, the three pieces site very well to give a nice plat surface. 

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 10:49:12 AM »
Before getting my Wargames room (God but I love my Wife) I used to use
some fold away Saw Horses (from B&Q) with boards on top. This did have
an added bonus of providing picnic tables in the garden when we had barbeques.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 11:22:05 AM »
Our main table in the combined sitting-dining room is 8 x 4 feet. Perfect.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 03:23:08 PM »
I have a 8 x 4 foot table. 

I used four NSF wire racks as the "legs" and then put some MDF board across the top.  By using Wire NSF racks as the legs it also gives me a lot of storage space for terrain and the like underneath. 

I get to keep my table set-up 24/7.  However, I also have two portable tables that form a 6 x 4 that I can then use in other places when needed.   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 03:37:36 PM »
I use two fold away tables identical to Mad Lord Snapcase. I cover them with a thick (quite old) woollen blanket, then put my playing cloths over that.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 05:08:18 PM »
I have a largish table in the dining room and a couple of aluminium framed notice boards that I use to make the surface bigger, one 4' x 3' and one 2' x 3' so I can make a table up to 6' x 3' not ideal but its light and better than nothing.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 06:28:59 PM »
A friend and I built a table. it is 8' x 5'.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 07:38:18 PM »
While I have a place to leave a table, I often take my two folding tables to conventions or other people's houses, etc.  I have two tables which add up to a 6'x5' (with a third on the T making it an 8'x5' when necessary).  The two main folding tables fit in the back of my Golf, so that's really handy.

Having the 6'x5' gives me plenty of space when running either a 4'x4' skirmish mat or a 6'x4' wargaming mat --- having a nice 6" ledge around the sides so we can stash minis/cards/dice, etc.  I use the third table which caps them off for dice rolling trays, spare trays of models, etc.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline The Great Mahoo

• Bookworm
    • Adventures on the Tabletop
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2023, 02:49:20 AM »
I used to use my dining table, which sites 5'x5'.  But these days, I pretty much play skirmish games, so picked up a 30" square folding table I can set up in my basement readily. A bit smaller than idea, but works well and is convenient.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2023, 01:36:27 PM »
One of my old work tables. 4 x 6, made with 2" x 4" and 3/4" plywood.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2023, 02:02:32 PM »
One of my old work tables. 4 x 6, made with 2" x 4" and 3/4" plywood.]

Nice setup

Like some of the first posters I use 9mm thick MDF sheets (4’x2’) which I simply place on my dining room table, which is around 7’x3’. The small amount of overhang is fine. I do tend to put a non slip cloth/mat from Ikea on it which really keeps things in place.

For gaming then a mat or cloth can be put over the top. But the raw table has been useful for large modelling projects, and for kids painting!

I’d quite like to be able to do 8’x5’ but I think the extra overhang from the table would be quite unstable.

Offline Dolnikan

• Librarian
    • Dolnikan Games
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2023, 03:44:54 PM »
At my previous place (I couldn't take it) I had three 2*4' frames that could be bolted together and be put on a smaller table. I then had some boards that could be put on top. It was a fairly simple system but it worked pretty well.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2023, 09:31:32 PM »
I'm most envious of those with the space for a full size table! Having done some measuring and been told that other furniture also has to be in the room (tsk,  lol ) it transpires that 4ft x 4ft is probably the extent of my aspiration. All as temporary set up for games only!

A couple of those 4/5x2 tables suggested sound like just the ticket. I might try to sneak some mdf to get it more towards 5ft on one side, but I also like the idea of just an old stout rug with a battle mat on top.

Thanks for the ideas all. At least some sort of gaming surface will be produced, at any rate!