Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:36:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gear Krieg in 12mm.  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
Gear Krieg in 12mm.
« on: September 16, 2023, 10:54:54 PM »
I've got a box full of Gear Krieg walkers (Axis, Allied, Russian super tanks and even a Japanese, along with weapon upgrade packs), and was wondering how they would work with 12mm (thinking Victrix).

I know they are nominally 15mm, but feel the "oversized" walkers may fit nicely with the slightly smaller 12mm. Nor am I worried that the Victrix models are "late" war (infantry anyway), as it's combat walkers with lasers (in some cases)

Anyone got any experience with mixing 12 and 15mm models, or have both so can scale match for me. I don't want to start a project that isn't likely to be followed up on (and the Gear Krieg stuff I've had for around 10 years - favourite "weird war" setting, especially with Agis's Victory Decision rules).

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
Re: Gear Krieg in 12mm.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 01:58:26 PM »
I don't see a problem since there's no "historical" equivalence scale of the Gears. They can be as big or small as you want.

The only quirk may be if the Gears have drivers or personnel showing -- then there may be a mismatch compared to 12mm ground troops.

Your call!

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 10:45:14 PM »
Intending to replace any crew with 12mm where possible, or just use closed down gears.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 11:56:20 PM »
I think it sounds like an excellent idea. When it comes to Mecha, bigger is better.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 10:55:29 AM »
I always loved the mech designs of Gear Krieg. Please do share pics if you paint(ed) them.

12mm infantry should work fine with the 15mm Gears, I think.  (Just a shame the 28mm resin/stl range never really took off.) A shame the game never got a more modern ruleset, too... 

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 01:42:13 PM »
At Adepticon I asked the DP9 guys if there would ever be a new version of Gear Krieg. A few of them answered "I wish" then looked at the boss man. He said they're focusing on the new edition of Heavy Gear Blitz and there currently are no plans for GK.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 02:48:38 PM »
And that while "Gear Krieg Blitz" just makes sooo much sense!  lol

Interesting insight on the staff vs boss dynamic of DP9 there, btw.

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 03:27:33 AM »
In regard to a "more modern rules" - try "Gear Krieg: Victory Decision". Based on the original "Starship Troopers" ruleset by Andy Chambers, and then tidied up by LAF's own Agis.

It combines with his WWII rules of the same name (which has its own thread on here). Excellent rules, and the amount of "normal" kit that can be added with the WWII options is great (even if I tend to just use the stuff in the Gear Krieg books)

Available through wargames vault.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 09:52:34 AM »
Thanks for the tip! I did get Agis' World at War Gear Krieg supplements at the time, for the extra background and his excellent model pictures. I'll have a look at his Victory Decision stuff too!

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2023, 04:16:20 AM »
After a little research, I'm now of the opinion that 10mm (which is great, as most of my current projects are in the scale/size) would work just as well as 12 (and Pendraken are slightly cheaper than Victrix).

I might have to purchase some tank crew with my next Pendraken order.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2023, 12:54:28 PM »
After a little research, I'm now of the opinion that 10mm (which is great, as most of my current projects are in the scale/size) would work just as well as 12 (and Pendraken are slightly cheaper than Victrix).

I might have to purchase some tank crew with my next Pendraken order.
I think that is wise. 10mm is more common than 12mm and will make the mechs seen even more impressive next to conventional units. 10mm also aligns with N scale so your options for building kits increase dramatically.

I do my Mech gaming in 10mm using rebased MechWarrior Clix figures and it works very well.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2023, 06:27:46 PM »
I tend to mix and match 10 and 12mm for WWII - Pithead, Pendraken, Minifigs and some Victrix. Some of the older Pendraken vehicles are on the small side, but most stuff works together fine.

The 12mm ranges that really don’t play well with other 10mm ones are Kallistra and Pendraken Fantasty the humans in these ranges are much bigger than their 10mm counterparts.

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2023, 09:13:01 PM »
Must admit that was why I was favouring 12mm, I did find Pendraken vehicles on the small size when I was playing WWII.

Research has shown that Pendraken infantry, though more "bulky", due to there bases, have a similar height to 12mm. (And they do early war, so I can stick closer to the Gear Krieg timeline

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 06:17:46 PM »
At Adepticon I asked the DP9 guys if there would ever be a new version of Gear Krieg. A few of them answered "I wish" then looked at the boss man. He said they're focusing on the new edition of Heavy Gear Blitz and there currently are no plans for GK.

I have collaborated with Company B to upscale Gear Krieg walkers to 1/56th scale, and expand the line to include more walkers - US, British, Italian, German, Soviet and Japanese. DP9 decided to only permit 3D STL file sales, rather than license "print on behalf" services, so very few sales for a lot of design and coding effort. We have spoken to them about writing the update for GK rules that align more with Heavy Gear - not sure when that will happen. I did, however, get approval to include Gear Krieg mech and units stats in the NUTS! Weird War 2 book that was released earlier this year. I also had permission from Paolo Parentes for a DUST section, and from Gas.O.Line for their Mektank background as well.

https://twohourwargames.com/products/nuts-weird-war-2
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games