Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:59:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Options for 25mm (rather than 28mm) medievals - especially knights?  (Read 7399 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Options for 25mm (rather than 28mm) medievals - especially knights?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2023, 09:26:04 PM »
Hi Hobgoblin.  I would definitely check with Irregular before buying, or just get a few samples.  I think there is a very good chance the medieval ranges have also been remodelled, possibly so long ago that they took down the notice.  It might also be worth checking with Irregular if they still hold their old moulds for the 25mm stuff, as they might still be available on special order.

Hobgoblin, may i ask, if you do go down the route suggested by Thew could you please post up pictures of the models when you get the samples from Irregular?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2023, 11:02:49 PM »
Hi Hobgoblin.  I would definitely check with Irregular before buying, or just get a few samples.  I think there is a very good chance the medieval ranges have also been remodelled, possibly so long ago that they took down the notice.  It might also be worth checking with Irregular if they still hold their old moulds for the 25mm stuff, as they might still be available on special order.

That's a good point - thanks!

Hobgoblin, may i ask, if you do go down the route suggested by Thew could you please post up pictures of the models when you get the samples from Irregular?

Yes, certainly! Scrutinising Irregular's labyrinthine site always throws up fresh temptations: lots of their decidedly weird and oversized 15mm creatures are big enough to make great low-level dungeon monsters, and I'm even wondering whether these 10mm guys might not make perfect 'nuisance' monsters in 25mm:

So I'll put in an order for some beasties and add a few knights and 'guardsmen' types from the medieval pages. If they're too big, they can join my Arthurian skirmish project. If not, I'll order some more.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2023, 08:52:58 AM »
I'm even wondering whether these 10mm guys might not make perfect 'nuisance' monsters in 25mm:

These would be highly amusing in 54mm scale; tiny little armoured pixies riding on rats.
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2023, 08:54:19 AM »
These would be highly amusing in 54mm scale; tiny little armoured pixies riding on rats.

Yes - an elusive foe but vulnerable to stray boots ...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 09:14:09 AM by Hobgoblin »

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2023, 11:00:57 AM »
Well, Wargames Foundry Medieval ranges (Feudal, HYW and Wars of the Roses; except Dave Andrew's Swiss) are one of the original Citadel ranges and are about 25mm.

Old Glory has a vast range in 25mm.

Eagle Miniatures do a 25mm Medieval range too.

I second the OG option. I have their mounted knights and they are very nice sculpts

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2023, 10:57:00 PM »
I second the OG option. I have their mounted knights and they are very nice sculpts

They do look good from what I can glean from the various OG sites. What's putting me off for the moment is the large order size (I'm not sure I'll need 30 knights or 30 'guardsmen', for example). But I do plan on having quite large battles as part of the next campaign, and I'm keeping an eye on eBay for samples: there seems to be quite a large turnover in OG stuff.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2023, 09:06:08 AM »

I'd say that old Citadel/Foundry 25s are a little too big to work with 1/72. I think the Dark Age range that Thew2 mentions might be closer, though they do have quite large heads.

I think those ones (the 'feudals') are a bit bigger than the WotR stuff - proper 28mm. They certainly used to be when they were slottabased Citadel figures. In particular, they have bigger heads and hands. I think the same's true of the older Foundry Vikings, Saxons and Normans, which are quite chunky 28s; the newer Vikings are even chunkier.

I can take some comparison shots for you, they are certainly much smaller than most ranges.

Another option could be HAT plastic El CID 1/72 are true 1/72 (foot to eye) and could fit your project needs IMHO.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 09:08:02 AM by bluewillow »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2023, 11:07:10 AM »
I can take some comparison shots for you, they are certainly much smaller than most ranges.

That would be great - thanks very much! I'm probably going to pick up some Foundry feudals in the next few months; they look perfect for my Arthurian project. But if they worked for the 25mm project, that would be grand (they're very characterful and look a lot of fun to paint). I suppose it's not impossible that they have shrunk a bit in the process of being remoulded and rebased.

Certainly, the Citadel WotR range used to be a good bit smaller - not so much in height (though a bit) but in bulk (hands, heads, sword blades). I'm using a couple of surviving Citadel (now Foundry) Normans in the Arthurian project, and they're much bigger than the WotR figures - to the extent that a plate-armoured, salleted man-at-arms looked like a slight woman or a mid-teens boy beside them (so he immediately dropped down to the 25mm project).

Another option could be HAT plastic El CID 1/72 are true 1/72 (foot to eye) and could fit your project needs IMHO.

Do you mean the hard-plastic ones (theoretically 28mm, I think, but quite small)? I have a lot of the 1/72 ones for HOTT/DBA; they're great, but they're definitely 1/72 - much smaller all round than the 25s. But I've long been interested in the 28s, if only as conversion fodder. I might pick up a box and see how they look. Thanks!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2023, 08:15:36 AM »

I'll try to get some photos up soon, but the Irregular samples arrived, and they'll work just fine for this project. They're on the larger end of the range I'm using, but they're too small for my 28mm Arthurian project - the knights look tiny compared with (for example) the Citadel knights from Attack of the Broo. They're bigger than a couple of tiny (and wonderful) very early (Ral Partha-sized) Citadel knights/adventurers that I got from Galtisant (thanks again!) earlier this week, but fit in much better with those than with Citadel humans of the classic boxed-set era (Attack of the Broo, Goodly Knights of Law, etc.).

The best match for scale is with the Citadel/Foundry War of the Roses stuff. The Irregular guys look exactly the same size as those.

The jump in scale in the Citadel figures is quite marked. The early historicals and very early fantasy stuff seems to be designed to match Ral Partha's very dainty early ranges. The WotR stuff is a middle scale (small 25s? true 28s?), but the boxed-set figures and contemporary adventurers, etc., are much bigger - matching the scale of later slottabased stuff quite comfortably.