Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:23:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bydand! A Painting Guide for the 1st Bn, Gordon Highlanders, Part 1  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Dining Room Battles

• Scientist
    • Toy Soldiers and Dining Room Battles

I have probably painted more Highlanders (and clansmen!) than there are currently in the British Army. Let's face it. They add that extra charm to a British force no matter what the era - time to send some to the Northwest Frontier for The Men Who Would be Kings. Over the years I have developed many techniques in painting highlanders. When I was younger (and had younger eyes) they were super detailed. One of the best units I painted was the 42nd Highlanders using the old Minifigs Napoleonic Highlanders in 15mm. When you got up close and looked at them, they looked fantastic. When gaming . . . well, I could tell they were highlanders but you really couldn't see the intricate, detailed painting. Now my preferred technique is to paint figures to what they look like at gaming distance. The above photo is not quite gaming distance but pretty close. By gaming distance I refer to "what does the figure look like when I'm standing or sitting around the gaming table playing a game." When I game, my eyeball is not next to the figure! Anyway, here is a technique, not the technique, but a guide that will hopefully inspire you to get some Highland regiments on the table.

http://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/2023/09/bydand-painting-guide-for-1st-bn-gordon.html