Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:25:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's British Platoon for A War Transformed.  (Read 13594 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Nick's British Platoon for A War Transformed.
« on: September 22, 2023, 09:38:25 AM »
When Osprey announced their Folk Horror game A War Transformed I thought 'how interesting'. Was it going to be similar to The Silver Bayonet? I spoke with Osprey and the author, and the answer was no. It's a larger skirmish game involving units rather than individual figures. I realised then that we already had a range to cover the majority of the figures you'd need, Great War Miniatures.
https://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=20&cat=153&page=1
I didn't intend to do an army for the game, but I kept thinking about how you could change the ordinary figures into AWT soldiers. I decided to experiment with a cavalry unit and using Army Painters Speedpaints I knocked them out in no time. Getting stuff done quick is always an inspiration to me, so I'm going to finish the whole army for A War Transformed.
This is it so far:

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Nick's British Platoon for A War Transformed.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 09:50:05 AM »
This was the first Unit that kicked the project off, and probably the weirdest looking of the lot.

In the artwork in A War Transformed, the artist has put a lot of the individuals in masks, very 'Wickerman'. We have a set of plastic masks on the frame of Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago Tribals that I thought would go well.

I liked the idea of doing a cavalry force rather than an infantry one, so glued them to the faces of some Great War Miniatures British Cavalry.
Because I was just experimenting at this point, I thought I'd just use Speedpaints rather than paint them 'properly'. I was actually really pleased with the result and the how the colours came out, and I was very pleased it only took one evening.
I have been drawn into the Turnip28 style of things recently, and have done a number of figures with tufts and foliage springing off them, so it crossed my mind to try greenery and flowers on these cavalry. I liked the result, maybe went over the top with the garlands, but rather than fiddle about I went onto the next Unit.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 09:55:48 AM »
The second Unit I wanted to do was cavalry again. I picked out the later British cavalry in helmets this time. And with lances. I thought about giving them archaic looking shields, and them I remembered some Hussite pavaises and transfers I had lying around from an old project that never happened.

I did pause wondering if they looked way too large, but then thought 'nah, go for it'  lol

I also couldn't resist the flowers on the helmets either, going for red this time rather than white.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 10:05:07 AM »
Once the two units were done, both with Speedpaints so were finished in 2 evenings, I was sucked right in.

I got hold of a draft copy of the game from Osprey and started to plan a British Army.

To keep in with the early 20th Century theme, and the fact Pulp figures do a figure of him, I wanted to have Aleister Crowley as the Platoons witch. (In real life he was on Germanys side in WW1, but there's some discussion as to whether he was actually a double agent)
You can see the pack here: https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=16833

After reading the army list, you can replace your Captain with a Mesmerist. Having not played yet, I thought I'd go with that option, so Crowley is now the Mesmerist leader of the British platoon.
Again, I just used Speedpaint to get him done.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 10:07:53 AM »
They’re great Nick. I love it when inspiration suddenly fuels a project and you find you’ve progressed more in one session than it feels like you’ve done in days (weeks/years in my case!).

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 08:20:14 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 10:15:00 AM »
You can have a Witch for free in your A War Transformed platoon, so it'd be rude not to.

There's so many options you can have for a witch in the game. We are giving away a frame of plastic Wizards with every game bought from North Star so you can make a traditional magic user for your platoon, but you can just as easily have a well dressed officer figure who's an expert in the new Magic.

As Crowley had been promoted in my Platoon to the leader, I thought one of his Scarlet Women would make a great witch. I was already going to use the female cultists from Pulp Figures in the platoon, I only needed 4 of them so the 5th figure has become the Witch.

Again painted with Speedpaints. One coat of flesh, one coat of red and black for the hair and mask, all done.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 10:19:48 AM »
In regards to Speedpaints.

I don't love the finished look, it's not what I'd do if I sat done to paint seriously, but I'm very happy with the results I'm getting so far. The colours are looking right, and I'll have this project done long before something else pops up and totally distracts me.

The basing is also really quick, it's just sand, unpainted, with brown tufts added. I want to try and get this 'fighting over the raised sea bed of Doggerland' effect, I've not given much thought to how the terrain will be just yet.

Plus I don't have an opponent either.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 10:35:20 AM »
A special unit the British can have are 'Spiritualists'. It's a 4 figure unit of civilians that can raise Guardian Spirits, and Unquiet Spirits. They look like a fun addition to a British Platoon, plus a Mesmerist can support Spiritualists.

Looking around for suitable models, North Star doesn't have any WW1 civilian types, so I went for a more Cultist look using Pulp Figures. Choosing the female figures meant the 5th figure in the pack could be used as Crowley's Scarlet Woman Witch.

A reason I really liked the idea of Spiritualists was the Guardian Spirits. My immediate thought was The Angels of Mons. A fiction that became fact for many people in WW1 was that the ghosts of the English Longbowmen from Agincourt rose to defend the BEF in their hour of need.

I've tried to recreate them by painting come Crusader Miniatures medieval bowmen grey, and add a swirling mist to the base. Not sure if I've achieved the effect.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 10:41:17 AM »
I now have to do at least 3 Infantry Units. You have to have as many Line units as Elite units, and I've done 3 Elite units so far.

The first infantry unit is the British Dismounted cavalry from Great War Miniatures, with the same Ghost Archipelago masks on the cavalry wear. I've held off giving them the flowers that the cavalry sport, but that'll be an easy add on if the mood takes me.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2023, 05:44:49 PM »
I've not given much thought to how the terrain will be just yet.

Plus I don't have an opponent either.

I believe those count as minor details and so can be ignored.  ;)

It's a really good looking force you're putting together but I absolutely love the lancers and I couldn't really say why.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 05:52:10 PM »
Great stuff Nick - you’ve really got into this concept.

I really like your units - and that you have gone with a different take than I was thinking about - much greener, I was thinking of more muddy sea bed look (not least as that’s the basing for my existing WWI figures!)

I like the ghost archers - I’ve gone for a light bluish wash for some ghost figures in the past, I wonder if the white look is leaving them look a little unfinished? But I think the idea works, and do look forward to what other inspiration you come up with!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2023, 06:56:06 PM »
I’ve gone for a light bluish wash for some ghost figures in the past, I wonder if the white look is leaving them look a little unfinished?

I might do. I think I'll get the army finished then look at maybe re-doing parts. Or just do army 2.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2023, 08:04:47 PM »
Very inspiring. Especially how you’ve got such great results with fairly minimal efforts.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2023, 08:15:13 PM »
Great start and nice work.
I like the ideas you have used.

Offline Snackelwolf

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2023, 01:24:12 AM »
A special unit the British can have are 'Spiritualists'. It's a 4 figure unit of civilians that can raise Guardian Spirits, and Unquiet Spirits. They look like a fun addition to a British Platoon, plus a Mesmerist can support Spiritualists.

Looking around for suitable models, North Star doesn't have any WW1 civilian types, so I went for a more Cultist look using Pulp Figures. Choosing the female figures meant the 5th figure in the pack could be used as Crowley's Scarlet Woman Witch.

A reason I really liked the idea of Spiritualists was the Guardian Spirits. My immediate thought was The Angels of Mons. A fiction that became fact for many people in WW1 was that the ghosts of the English Longbowmen from Agincourt rose to defend the BEF in their hour of need.

can you share a special unit or ability the French can have? I ordered the German and French platoons, because I like the Char-Bis tank better than the spiritualist sculpts. I'd love an example to ease my mind  that I won't regret my decision!