Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:22:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's British Platoon for A War Transformed.  (Read 13619 times)

Offline Snackelwolf

• Assistant
Re: Nick's British Platoon for A War Transformed.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2023, 01:50:00 AM »

To keep in with the early 20th Century theme, and the fact Pulp figures do a figure of him, I wanted to have Aleister Crowley as the Platoons witch. (In real life he was on Germanys side in WW1, but there's some discussion as to whether he was actually a double agent)
You can see the pack here: https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=16833

There is some indication his writing during WW I for a German paper while living in New York was pure amusement to pay his bills.  Regardless, being far beyond just the liberated type, Aleister Crowley later had no love of fascism, and there is a really fun tale and rumor that goes well with this new miniature game we are  keen on --- that Crowley developed the "V" for Victory sign, wielded by Winston Churchill, to combat the Germany's own occult ties and symbol manipulations in  a surge of media and visual warfare.

For those that want a story that ran with that tale, , there's a now out of print graphic novel imagining the  occult psychological and magickal battle between the two sides.
Here's a link on Goodreads;  I just ordered it on eBay for A War Transformed inspiration. I cannot vouch for the story or writing quality yet -- but the reviews are that it is a better premise than execution of the myth.  The comments aren't super good, and it is only illustrated in black and white.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29236402-aleister-adolf?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=BRUA3rUJID&rank=1

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2023, 09:09:47 AM »
I ordered the German and French platoons, because I like the Char-Bis tank better than the spiritualist sculpts.
The French tank in platoon offer is an FT.
https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=17565
They are cute, and if I do a French unit it would be called Bonaparte for obvious reasons.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_(manga)#The_Tank_Police
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 09:12:48 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Snackelwolf

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2023, 09:56:26 AM »
The French tank in platoon offer is an FT.
https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=17565
They are cute, and if I do a French unit it would be called Bonaparte for obvious reasons.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_(manga)#The_Tank_Police

That's right -- my mistake. Wishful thinking perhaps on the Char Bis!  I do like what it comes with, however.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2023, 12:27:40 PM »
You can have a Schneider with the French as well as the FT.

The Vitiated Spirit is the French special weirdness, a nymph that creates areas of tangled growth. You can also have a Theosophist instead of a Captain.

Offline gimzod

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2023, 01:33:42 PM »
Are there rules for dragons/Wyverns in the book?

Always had the idea of doing a VBCW Wyrm cult faction and this seems like the kind of rules for it.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2023, 01:44:14 PM »
Are there rules for dragons/Wyverns in the book?

Always had the idea of doing a VBCW Wyrm cult faction and this seems like the kind of rules for it.

No. The rules are more Folk Horror than Fantasy, so no Dragons. There's not flying rules either, so you couldn't even proxy the dragon as a fighter plane  lol

What you could do is have the Wyrm Cult, and if the Witch Manifests a 'Crusher', use a Dragon/ Wyvern. The author really had Giants/ Titans in mind for Crushers, but a non-flying Dragon, why not?

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2023, 02:05:25 PM »
Where did you get the Hussite shields?

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2023, 02:32:42 PM »
1st Corps/ Curteys Miniatures.

Offline Krokodil

• Lurker
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2023, 03:02:17 PM »
A really interesting mash up of different genres nicely brought together into a coherent whole. I like the idea of a reawakened lush landscape better than a WW1 mudscape, although both would work for me, maybe even a mix of the two would be the way to go. It really is an anything goes concept, but one that has a dynamic cohesion all the same. Very well done to the writers and designers. It's difficult to bring something truly original to life in a very crowded wargaming market that manages to reinvigorate old figure ranges and give them new purpose.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2023, 04:23:54 PM »
1st Corps/ Curteys Miniatures.
Thanks (reading Andrzei Sapkowski's series).

So what are your other line units?

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2023, 05:41:03 PM »
I'm just going to go with 2 more Infantry Units, one will be dismounted cavalry in helmets, the other dismounted cavalry in caps, but maybe with a mix of uniforms this time.

I've been thinking about adding Sailors, or Colonial Troops. (Crowley travelled in the East a lot, and studied Buddism & Islam, so having affinity with Colonial troops would be a good match up). But I think if I get the two dismtd Cav units done & a Cav HMG, I've got the basis of a platoon. I can add other stuff later, or do a new platoon.

I'm intrigued by the Russian Empire lists. There's three distinct types. A Siberian Shaman + Hunters type, a Cossack type or a more 1914 Imperial Russia type. I'd like all three.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2023, 06:38:56 PM »
Volunteer troops from Hong Kong?

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2023, 07:03:06 PM »
igued by the Russian Empire lists. There's three distinct types. A Siberian Shaman + Hunters type, a Cossack type or a more 1914 Imperial Russia type. I'd like all three.

These sound intriguing!

Are the summoned creatures themed to the different nations?

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2023, 07:12:28 PM »
Volunteer troops from Hong Kong?
British & French can have Colonial Assault Troops as their normal 'Line' infantry, they aren't a specific nation so you can use any you want. The author had Gurkhas & Tirailleurs in mind really, armed with their 'blades'.

Also, normal 'Line' infantry are not a specific nation, the Brits could have Indians, Sikhs, KAR, Hong Kong, Aussies, whatever you like.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2023, 07:17:39 PM »
These sound intriguing!

Are the summoned creatures themed to the different nations?

No, there's 6 categories of summoned creatures. You'd choose whatever folk-lore creatures suit your faction. Because I've gone with Crowley as my leader, I ought to have Pan as my 'Crusher' (The largest manifestation) etc. But I might just go with what I have in the Frostgrave/ Silver Bayonet collection.

Here's an idea of what the 6 categories are:
https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=17566