Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:54:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Advice on "the Anarchy" - reading material.  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
Advice on "the Anarchy" - reading material.
« on: September 17, 2023, 03:59:26 AM »
I've decided to start a project around the period of "The Anarchy", the Civil War in England (which also involved Normandy and Scotland, from what I can tell), between 1130-1150 (rough dates). Intending on 10mm, and order placed for a "Norman Starter Army" (Lancashire Games, which I can mix with the Saxon I have for some variety).

I have a book coming on the subject (Stephen and Matilda : the Civil War) and have a few general resources on Feudal/Early Medieval forces, but would be grateful if a more knowledgeable person could point me towards relevant reading material.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Advice on "the Anarchy" - reading material.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 06:10:29 AM »
Chris Peers, a wargamer and historian put this little piece together which I think would be a great place to start:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Stephen-Anarchy-Military-Twelfth-Century/dp/1473863678/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1694927314&sr=1-4

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 06:26:42 AM »
I recently finished reading 'The White Ship', by Charles Spencer, which really lays out the how the factions developed.  The titular White Ship was the one that sank, taking Henry I's son and heir to the bottom of the English Channel and setting up the war between Stephen and Matilda.  The Anarchy was just as vicious and nasty as the Wars of the Roses, with similar levels of treachery and shifting loyalties.  I suspect the only reason it isn't as well known as the WotR was that it didn't get a series of Shakespearean plays!

Also helpful for context is the ever-reliable Horrible Histories.

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 07:58:37 AM »
I've order the Chris Peers book already - like his work. So now have w too read, before I add anymore (well, hopefully,)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 06:09:31 PM »
George Shipway wrote a good novel on The Anarchy.  It is called Knight in Anarchy if I recall correctly.  You may be able to find a copy on line.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 06:45:11 AM »
Keeper, I'd also throw Jim Bradbury's "Stephen and Matilda; the Civil War of 1139-53" into the mix.  A tad Stephen-centric but available both hardback and paperpack at decent prices.,

Offline Dante

• Student
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 12:41:37 AM »
Give Sharon Kay Penman’s “When Christ and His Saints Slept” a read. It is a historical novel. Both the writing and its historical accuracy are excellent.

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2023, 07:04:22 AM »
Other commenters have mentioned very elucidating texts. Here are a few novels you might pick up purely for enjoyment rather than education. Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth is largely preoccupied with people getting through their lives during the Anarchy. Follet's not a historian, but he has an admirable curiosity about the texture of life of characters at differing social strata. There's also always the Cadfael series by Ellis Peters, which are just fun mystery novels with The Anarchy as their backdrop.

Offline SirRoystonPapworth

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2023, 06:59:39 PM »
I really enjoyed Chris’ book on Offa and the Saxons and hoped the Anarchy volume would be the same, unfortunately I didn’t feel it was in the same league.

To me it lacked something…

But that might just be me…

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2023, 08:43:20 PM »
I have a Wargamers guide commenced for the Anarchy and hope to complete it this year using French and English references.

I can recommend
Stephen and Matilda The civil War 1139-53 J Bradbury

The Anarchy: War and Status in 12th-Century Landscapes of Conflict W Wright

King Stephen and the Anarchy: Civil War and Military Tactics in Twelfth-Century Britain.

Stephen and Matilda's Civil War: Cousins ​​of Anarchy M Lewis

I do not have
The Anarchy: The History and Legacy of the Civil War in England and Normandy during the 12th Century. Charles River

Women of the Anarchy Sharon Bennet Connelly

Matilda: Empress, Queen, Warrior Catherine Hanley

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2023, 09:01:16 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Currently have copies of:-

"King Stephen and the Anarchy" (Chris Peers)
"Stephen and Matilda" (Jim Bradbury).

Reading "King Stephen" at present (it arrived first), and the will get around to "Stephen and Matilda".
Purchase more after that (although have already sorted a Norman Army (in 10mm, my preferred scale/size) to work on as I'm reading.

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2023, 05:27:09 PM »
You can read The Greatest Knight by Thomas Asbridge.  It mostly deals with the after period, but does touch a little on the Anarchy in as much as how it affected Marshall.
On time, on target, or the next one's free