Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:59:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690922
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Playing minor nations in Napoleonic wargaming  (Read 1647 times)

Offline DarkBlack

• Lurker
Playing minor nations in Napoleonic wargaming
« on: September 27, 2023, 08:00:12 PM »
My interest in Napoleonic wargaming has been sparked after two decades of ancients and medieval.

How difficult would I make Napoleonic wargaming for myself, in terms of finding lists and opponents, if I were to collect a minor nation and try to bring only them to the battlefield?

I specifically have Bavaria, or perhaps the Confederation of the Rhine, in mind?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Playing minor nations in Napoleonic wargaming
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 10:00:15 PM »
What rules do you have in mind?
That would guide you a bit.
If no set yet in mind, may I suggest you start at the skirmish level.
With rules such as:- Fistful of Lead Horse & Musket, Chosen Men, et al and a few figures
you can get started. This would reduce the pressure as you can get to the table without
having to paint whole regiments/brigades/Divisions etc... YET.  :D

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 11:15:51 PM »
The Bavarians are a good choice.

Fighting for Napoleon and then against him from 1813 on. Light and Line infantry, the latter in green rather than blue so a change of colour and artillery and light cavalry too . Other troops types came along later.

They fought in all the main theatres of the wars except Spain, forming a Corps in Russia in 1812 and were decent enough troops.

Uniforms were the same right through the period.

As such they're well represented in every scale and in metal and plastic - most manufacturers of Napoleonics have a range. There's plenty material on their organisation etc online and of course an Osprey on them too.

As regards rules it would be difficult to find a Napoleonic set that doesn't include and have lists for them.

Therefore an opponent should be easy to find.

What's not to like!

Offline DarkBlack

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 01:50:43 AM »
What rules do you have in mind?
That would guide you a bit.
If no set yet in mind, may I suggest you start at the skirmish level.
With rules such as:- Fistful of Lead Horse & Musket, Chosen Men, et al and a few figures
you can get started. This would reduce the pressure as you can get to the table without
having to paint whole regiments/brigades/Divisions etc... YET.  :D
No rules in mind, opponent’s choice when I find a game.
They will be 15mm and already painted; I'll spare the details and just say they are a gift from a friend.

The Bavarians are a good choice.

Fighting for Napoleon and then against him from 1813 on. Light and Line infantry, the latter in green rather than blue so a change of colour and artillery and light cavalry too . Other troops types came along later.

They fought in all the main theatres of the wars except Spain, forming a Corps in Russia in 1812 and were decent enough troops.

Uniforms were the same right through the period.
That is good to hear!
My concern was that they would have to be part of another force to play a game, because they seem be referred to as allies usually.

Sounds like there is no need to worry, thanks.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 09:43:35 AM »
Allies yes but as a separate nation with its own army and organisation which was separate from others it fought alongside.

For example in Napoleons Army for the 1809 Campaign against Austria, the 7th Corps was commanded by the French Marshall Lefebvre. However at Wagram, it was the Bavarian General Wrede who took command and led the 5 Bavarian infantry, 2 Bavarian cavalry and 2 Bavarian batteries during the battle.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 09:54:35 AM »
I remember I had Westphalian’s in 15mm.  White uniforms for the Line and Guard units , Green for the Lights. You can field the whole Army at this scale .

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 03:44:13 PM »
Italians and Poles (but not the Garde Lancier) are almost always welcome on any table as in my experience they rarely get painted up in the numbers they should.
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 04:35:25 PM »
Some years ago a friend made figure conversions to build a small 1815 Swiss army...  ::) :)

(forum in French)
https://www.anargader.net/t2326-armee-suisse-de-1815

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 04:35:58 PM »
If you're not looking for a large bunch, Nassau troops fought as French allies in Spain. I'm not sure when in 1813 they switched sides, as all the German states did, but they figure prominently under Wellington in 1815, good troops. I painted up 4 battalions because they can switch hit. My center companies have covered shakos.

If you want more figures, go for Bavarians.

Edit: Nassau had two infantry regiments, 3 battalions each, 2 companies of jaegers, horse and foot artillery and a regiment of mounted chasseurs.

Edit 2: Uniform shown above is 1810 and later. See https://www.napoleon-series.org/military-info/organization/GermansinSpain/GermanSpainChapter3b.pdf
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 04:51:50 PM by vtsaogames »
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline DarkBlack

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 07:04:56 PM »
Allies yes but as a separate nation with its own army and organisation which was separate from others it fought alongside.

For example in Napoleons Army for the 1809 Campaign against Austria, the 7th Corps was commanded by the French Marshall Lefebvre. However at Wagram, it was the Bavarian General Wrede who took command and led the 5 Bavarian infantry, 2 Bavarian cavalry and 2 Bavarian batteries during the battle.
Exactly what I was trying to confirm!
Thank you kindly.

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2023, 07:10:30 PM »
I used to game Hesse Darmstadt against Bavarians in 6mm. The rules I used at the time were To the Sound of the Guns. Small, division battles, but fun.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2023, 08:05:28 PM »
Two 1809 battles immediately spring to mind.  Landshut was a Bavarian division fighting a delaying action.  Abensburg had Bavarians and Wurttemberg assaulting across the Abens.

You also have Bavarians in the Tyrol against Austrians and Tyrollean rebels.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2023, 08:09:56 PM »
Tolentino 1815 — Naples v. Austria.

Neopolitan troops supported French armies from Spain to Russia and points in between.  King Murat was more than happy to send them off where France would pick up the tab for their expenses.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 08:11:37 PM by Cat »

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2023, 08:10:51 PM »
In 1813 the Bavarian Army under Wrede attempted to block Napoleon's exit from Germany. The Bavarian corps figures in the 1814 invasion of France.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2023, 02:30:01 PM »
Another Bavarian fan here!!!  The only major changes in the look of Bavarian troops over the 1805-1815 period are (1) the switch from the old satchel-style knapsack (called a tournister) to the conventional backpack somewhere around the 1806/07 period, and the use of a darker green for the light battalions and chevauxlegers from 1811 onwards (roughly the same time that they adopted the six-company French battalion organisation).  For the 1809 campaign, the line infantry regiments can amalgamate their schutzen into an "ad hoc" light corps and used their selected rifle-armed marksmen (scharfschutzen) as snipers.

I'm currently building several Sharp Practice Bavarian forces: (1) a "light" force comprising light infantry and chevauxlegers, plus a "light" (ie horse) gun; (2) a line infantry force composed of schutzen, riflemen, chevauxlegers and a "light" gun; and (3) a full-on line infantry force with a grenadier detachment, grenadier schutzen and riflemen, dragoons and a heavier gun.

My other great love in terms of minor Napoleonic contingents is the Brunswickers.  Not many ranges around for the 1809 campaign (although the Perry stuff is expanding - slowly!), but the Peninsula range is easily covered (another SP2 force I'm preparing includes the main battalion, KGL Light skirmishers and riflement, and 2nd KGL Hussars - not a redcoat in sight!), and the Waterloo contingent is fairly well represented (just avoid hussars with carbine and pelisse - they didn't have either in the Hundred Days).

Both Bavarians and Brunswickers are good as they are useful "stand alone" contingents that do not need allies, but can have the odd interloper if you feel like it (eg the 2nd Brunswick Line Bn at Quatre Bras fought alongside the 79th Foot Cameron Highlanders).  Plus, you can either "go large" for a bigger battle, or do what I've done and create smaller, but historically accurate skirmish forces.

Keep us informed, feel free to ask more questions - and post some pics!!!
No plan survives first contact with the dice.