Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:09:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SW's A War Transformed Forces and Terrain  (Read 4396 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Re: SW's A War Transformed Forces and Terrain
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2023, 11:01:28 AM »
These are great, enjoying reading about your thought process and seeing the painting develop.  I like all the bases but think that 2) is probably favourite.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2023, 12:03:04 AM »
As this will be mostly a secondary effort for me, decided to use primarily late war WW1 figures I already have (have a pretty substantial number of Germans and French), with perhaps the odd conversion thrown in for color.

Veterans of this website who have been reading the VSF board may be familiar with the excellent Hinterland figures of female soldiers of colonial conflicts and the WW1 era.   For the German Witch, I noted that the rule book indicates that some witches wear carefully tailored uniforms, and also noted the "Curse of Iron," which probably means most witches would not wear a steel helmet (which might interfere with spell casting).  Having the Hinterland figures of Crown Princess Cecilie and Princess Tatiana, already painted in feldgrau and respectively wearing Pickelhaube and lancer's Czapka, I decided that these would be my German witches. There are many pictures of high-ranking German officers and royals, wearing impeccable early war uniforms while  visiting German combat soldiers who had already switched to the Stahlhelm and Bluse.  In fact, many royal women of the period were Colonels-in-Chief (an honorary title) of regiments, and were photographed in a  feminized version of that

https://tile.loc.gov/storage-services/service/pnp/ggbain/16700/16734v.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Olga_and_Tatiana_Nikolaevna_of_Russia_in_hussars_uniforms.jpg

The below photos are not of my own figures (which are painted in feldgrau)
Cecilie on the right:
  https://chapleau.us/Gallery/colonial/1206.VSF.Princesses.jpg

Tatiana (actually a Russian Princess, but my figure represents a German Countess)
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7371/9254702312_bbb0ed58bb.jpg
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 12:05:49 AM by Metternich »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2023, 08:10:37 AM »
Lets see if I can get the images to display!

The below photos are not of my own figures (which are painted in feldgrau)
Cecilie on the right:

Tatiana (actually a Russian Princess, but my figure represents a German Countess)

[/quote]

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2023, 08:12:30 AM »
Great photos - both the historical and the figures. German Princesses as witches sounds a good approach.

I’m going with a similar overall approach of re-use of existing WWI forces with some extras appended to them

Offline Snackelwolf

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2023, 03:07:57 PM »
Quite like your witch - she looks like a crone from a Grimms' fairytale (properly Black Forest).

thank you so much -- that's what I was going for in essence. I am uncertain now if she's going to stay as a Witch for my Germans, or a Cunning Person for my UK.

Everyone, check out my opponents French troops. He did these with a bit of airbrush, some oils, and Army Painter speed paints.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2023, 08:30:09 PM »
Very nice.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2023, 09:12:22 PM »
Those French look good!

Offline Snackelwolf

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2023, 02:40:59 AM »
Here's some more of my regular infantry

I want to paint something fun and different next.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2023, 04:18:04 PM »
French look excellent, very clean and I don’t tend to like speed/contrast paints effects generally.

I like the floral abundance on your bases - I’m still trying to resist the setting but I do like the ideas and possibilities it provides.

What’s up next to paint?

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Snackelwolf

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2023, 02:16:29 AM »
French look excellent, very clean and I don’t tend to like speed/contrast paints effects generally.

I like the floral abundance on your bases - I’m still trying to resist the setting but I do like the ideas and possibilities it provides.

What’s up next to paint?

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain

Thank you so much.

It's counter-productive to me having a German force, but I really want to do this Vitiated Spirit project, which is a French unit. A games workshop Branch Wraith with barbed wire surrounding it.
I'm keen on painting my Cernunnos manifestation as well (although the model from Northstar is a bit smaller than I would of liked).

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2023, 08:04:43 AM »
I like the Germans, the flower tufts just change them up from historical figures.

The model for the vitiated sprit is great - I had seen some similar models (but in 10mm) that I was thinking of using - so I will push on with that idea, now I’ve seen this!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2023, 04:41:08 PM »
These may be some of the best French 28mm painted troops I have seen.  The helmets in particular are very well done.  The Germans are also very well done.  Looking forward to seeing the two forces in action.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2023, 12:24:44 AM »
Love the Germans! And I have to agree the flowers look fantastic. Hoping to see more soon!

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2023, 02:39:27 AM »
A like that branch wraith - whilst I’m not a fan of the more modern digital sculpting and over crowded style of Age of Sigmar, there are some great models hidden away in the ranges that with a bit of fettling or redesign, would be perfect for monsters/creatures in smaller scales.

Well now I’m looking at A War Transformed AAR’s and reviews whilst weakly trying to resist  lol

Keep up the good work,

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2023, 09:47:10 AM »
That Vitiated Spirit looks great.
Well now I’m looking at A War Transformed AAR’s and reviews whilst weakly trying to resist  lol
Resistance is useless.