Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:04:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690909
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: US and British HTs my dilemma  (Read 657 times)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
US and British HTs my dilemma
« on: October 29, 2023, 05:32:37 PM »

Hello
Thanks to all the WW2 wargame experts that have kindly answered to my former post..As anticipated i'm revamping my crates full of mainly old 1/72 kits in view of filling holes (big ones) for  my RF Armies..Unfortunatly the driving approach would, necessary be, "wargame at a budget" simply cause i already  have many stuff and also because, to buy the exact new models that I could need, would require me to place big orders only to UK ( ex. From PSC or metal  ranges ) which has become, thanks to Bexit, a real nightmare, and not only for the taxes involved. Despite that, second hand market from Spain, France and Germany is still a good solution to purchase  old kits or diecast models.

Said that, now it's the turn of the only series of 1/72 transport/AFV  that, for me, still represent an issue: the Allied troop carrier (half tracks) for 1944/45 armies For the reasons explained before, i already own or would have access mainly to Hasegawa/ESCI/Airfix kits and to some diecast but, unfortunatly,   they all represent the US versions...i 'm perfectly aware that there is a difference (M5, M3, land lease HT  ecc..) but, is it so evident for the purpose of armies in 1/72?
Furthemore ..i suspect that , at the end of the Normandy Campaign, Allied AFVs showed  same basic colour (olive green) and same markings (yellow/white big stars)..maybe i could  use my HT (at least the ones with tilt) for both British and US infantry, depending on the scenario?
but i understand that painting HT in different colour (maybe kaki green with black spots) and adding British  passengers for a British Motor Btg is far more charming.
Thanks in advance for your very appreciated ideas/suggestions

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: US and British HTs my dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 08:32:32 PM »
I'd say the difference isn't really worth the investment of buying duplicate halftracks. The most obvious visible clue is rounded edges on the rear armour and with 20mm that involves fairly close inspection.

If US M3s were good enough for Donald Featherstone......
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 08:34:59 PM »
Thanks very much Carlos...you practically know everything from every war  :o..that' incredible ...very good answer.
i suppose you also confirm me that the basic colour was or could be very similar, including the star marking?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 08:36:42 PM by italwars »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 10:16:58 PM »
Well, obviously British halftracks would have their own divisional/corps/ arm of service markings per the regulations but leaving that aside, then the base colour of SCC 15 was designed to match US Olive Drab. White stars were common on British vehicles, especially the ones panted as air recognition markers, in this case the ones on bonnets. Add the specific British markings according to taste/budget.

Personally, I'd live with them and get double use from the same vehicles, which is why I have never marked up my BTRs beyond tactical numbers. That way they can serve with the Soviet Army, the East German NVA, the VPLA, Grenada's PRA or the Nicaraguan EPLA etc, etc.

Offline sandsmodels

• Scientist
    • s&s models
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 12:26:48 PM »
the airfix ones don't exist as a vehicle as it has features of both m3 & m5 h/tracks.
i would just paint them all up as usa and leave off the markings, if you are on a budget then you can't be too fusy, i would just use them as they are, no one will really notice, we all have had  airfix h/tracks in our collections some time or other.
www.sandsmodels.com
sales@sandsmodels.com
makers of 20mm and 28mm vehicles, guns, figures and buildings for the gamer.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 03:46:49 PM »
Maybe i could mask, and use as multi-nation proxies,  two or three  of them (just part  of a battaillon) with spare canopies that i read you sell  among your nice range..but, before,  i've to identify which is/are the brand of what i have. ??? :D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 03:49:11 PM by italwars »

Offline sandsmodels

• Scientist
    • s&s models
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2023, 01:32:54 PM »
Maybe i could mask, and use as multi-nation proxies,  two or three  of them (just part  of a battaillon) with spare canopies that i read you sell  among your nice range..but, before,  i've to identify which is/are the brand of what i have. ??? :D
the 4 in the box look like airfix ones, we also sell the proper seating to go into the back making them more like they should be as well as tilts,
thanks
shaun