Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:14:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sudan Project Underway - official and verified  (Read 992 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Sudan Project Underway - official and verified
« on: October 30, 2023, 07:20:20 PM »
On Sunday I went to Fiasco in Leeds. I had arranged to pick up my first batch of Perry figures for the Sudan from Dave Thomas. I have to say, it was quite a heavy box.

More here:

https://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2023/10/goodies-from-fiasco-another-project-in.html

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Sudan Project Underway - official and verified
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 08:04:48 PM »
James,

A bit early reminder - but don't you dare plan any more projects above 1,000 figures!  Per your request, of course.

Quite a project you've undertaken.  The weight can be greatly reduced if you go with 15 mm figures like I do!   Most recent project was French Foreign Legion (ways to go to completion) but early Sudan sits waiting attention. Shall watch your project for inspiration.

Good luck with those plastics - I know some love them but I can't imagine dealing with assembling those things; but that's just me.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 09:04:40 PM »
I've painted a few plastics and as I paint with enamels it's easy enough to do.

But, you are right, I don't like making them up. Thankfully, these don't have too many parts / equipment bits.

I've always stayed away from plastic (for personal use) because I've seen Airfix kits literally disintegrate when a couple of decades old and I'm unsure of hard plastic durability over time but, as I turn 60 this year, their lifespan might not be an issue. lol

There is also the 'heft' thing (I know this winds plastic lovers up so much that I can't resist throwing it in) but, it's a fact, 'heft' is a glorious thing. However, I'm going to mix 50/50, plastic/metal, so that the 6 to 8 figure stands have some weight to them.

In the end, my decision to buy plastic came down to money. I rather suspect it's the same for most people.

Offline Field Marshal

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 12:13:15 AM »
I look forward to watching your progress. I am just waiting for my Perry order to teach me down under for the same period. Mine won’t be anywhere as grandiose as yours. I’m just a little jealous you have the concentration to churn those units out. I still have about 3 unfinished projects because of my wargamers adhd.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 01:02:21 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this progress. I admire your commitment and single minded focus to go all in for a new period rather than flit about like so many us  :)

I had an excellent Sudan game at Peter Gilder's Wargame Holiday Centre over 40 years ago now. The Mahdists were controlled by the Pony Wars auto-activation matrix that Peter Gilder had in his Sands of Sudan rules. So there was four of us all on the same side (ably supported by a gunboat on the edge of the table) trying to fend off hordes of the enemy coming on the table from all over the place  :)

Know what you mean about heft. It is one reason why I sometimes get steel bases. Not a cheap option admittedly but I like the weight of them and the lower centre of gravity means they deploy better on slopes. Something to consider for plastics I would have thought?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 02:52:15 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 10:16:42 PM »
Nice! I look forward to following your progress.

I found assembling the Mahdists to be something of a pleasure once I was in the groove … always looking to achieve small variations, with some proper conversions.

I get the whole ‘heft’ thing … even getting used to the lightness of plastic figures when painting, when switching from painting metal ones.

I made a similar first post on my blog at the beginning of January 2020, and I am just finishing the last two Empire units and a handful of Hadendowa at the moment. (I plan to have them done before Christmas.)

I plan to return to the Sudan for some more Indians, mounted infantry, Egyptians, and a armed train late next year. But first a late medieval digression … with a five boxes of Perry plastics and about thirty metal miniatures awaiting my attention.

Cheers
JJ

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 03:17:55 PM »
JJ,

We are both mixing very similar missions.

With this Sudan order I purchased some additions for my early Crusades collection (close enough to medieval, I guess): 84 Armenians - including just 12 mounted, 24 dismounted western knights (early Germans) and 74 Arab foot - 30 Mutattawia and 42 glaive-men with home made glaives. I'll probably do these first to make a proper change from the 2,699 28mm Napoleonics I've just finished (absolutely no bloody backpacks and other equipment, if you get my drift). That will bring my early Crusades collection to a little over 1,200 figures including 420 mounted. At some point I'll add a Fatimid army - but, not just at the moment lol.

Good luck getting yours done, all power to your elbow.

James

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 08:35:26 PM »
Enjoy! The Sudan Campaign is (in my opinion) a great, and hugely enjoyable, campaign to game. It’s wargaming “cat nip”👍
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!