Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:24:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What are the best 6mm ww2 tanks with separate turrets  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
What are the best 6mm ww2 tanks with separate turrets
« on: November 03, 2023, 10:26:25 PM »
Looking for the best option for WW2 tanks that have either separate or rotatable turrets

Metal prefered but anything considered

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: What are the best 6mm ww2 tanks with separate turrets
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 01:07:01 AM »
GHQ by a very, very, long margin. Detail is better than many larger scale models.

Runner up: C-in-C Micro Armour. A bit less detail, barrels more slender and bendable but also somewhat cheaper. Not sure who carries them now, the owner retired a year or two back but I'm pretty sure someone picked up the moulds.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 01:24:15 AM »
Is C in C even around anymore? I thought they closed.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 01:35:52 AM »
GHQ are beautiful as Carlos stated. I have a fair amount in my WIP queue and my one proviso would be that the barrels are often thin and I don’t think they’d be very resistant to careless handling (without ending up looking terrible) mine are ok so far but only I have handled them lol. They are the best 6mm in my opinion (which is expensive and not what everyone wants/needs though). Modern Heroics and Ros are much better than they were and much, much cheaper (easier to get in U.K.).

If you only want them for skirmish supports or small actions (for say Chain of Command in 6mm) or have clumsy, paw handed opponents maybe try Baccus - big ish for 1/285-300 but fine if only used with similar. They seemed chunkier/more robust than the GHQ when I saw them and are cheaper/available in smaller amounts.

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 02:40:46 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 05:01:52 AM »
Is C in C even around anymore? I thought they closed.

Yep, you made me check.

https://pfc-cinc.com/

https://www.legionsivhire.ca/index.php?

I used to have piles of their stuff back in the day, especially their 1/2400 ships. The detail was lighter than GHQ and they were exquisite little models.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 08:52:11 AM »
Thanks, I'll take alook at what's been suggested

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2023, 12:46:07 PM »
A (too late?) suggestion to look at Heroics and Ros.  While not in the same detail league as GHQ* they are more than 'good enough' when on the tabletop and the price is a third of GHQ - plus you can get as few as you need, not being committed to 5-packs.

*While I join in the praise of GHQ's quality (they are, after all, the local boys, and I did a short stint at the crucible back in the day...) there is -for myself, at least- the consideration of the extra time on the bench one will be tempted (if not required) to spend painting such beautiful minis!   ;)  If they're just a smallish piece of a project, 'good enough' may be the (cheaper - in both time and money) route to take?

Online Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2023, 02:05:29 PM »
If I was making a 6mm diorama, then it would be GHQ. But for tabletop use they’re way too expensive for me. Heroics & Ros are the best bang for my buck, and their latest sculpts (and resculpts) are getting to rival GHQ for detail, especially their new infantry models.

There are others worth looking at, but H&R’s catalogue is huge.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 10:12:14 PM »
Baccus are excellent but bigger than other manufacturers so cannot be mixed.  They really are lovely though.

GHQ are very nice models but expensive and come in packs of 5.

H&R are definitely inferior, they scale fine with GHQ but are much less detailed.  I like them though as they aren’t super detailed.  As mentioned why paint tiny details on a 6 mm tank that isn’t visible on the table.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 10:59:20 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestion

If I were to add I'm planning to use Adler minis would that change the suggestions

I know Adler Napoleonics are bigger than the average and would imagine the WW2 ranger are the same?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 12:08:44 AM by Kikuchiyo »

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2023, 10:08:12 AM »
The Baccus vehicles will scale well with the Adler figures

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2023, 10:45:56 AM »
I'd have a look at 2D6 Wargaming.  At £1.20 a vehicle more expensive than H&R but cheaper than GHQ. Not as finely detailed as GHQ but IMHO better value for money. The only problem at the moment is the quite limited range.

That said Magister Militum in UK are closing down and selling off stock cheap, so worth looking at their GHQ stuff as you may find what you need

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2023, 10:54:22 PM »
Kikuchiyo as Jon_1066 says the Baccus ones will probably scale to the eye best. I have GHQ vehicles and Adler chaps - the Adler chaps are a little chunky but I like that look (especially at 3ft on the table) and Baccus didn’t exist when I started investing in GHQ.

I haven’t tackled the chaps on/in vehicles yet - I have the GHQ troops for guns/artillery/halftracks for both USA and Germany but if I don’t like the look together I will sub in more Adler chaps or sculpt to match. If you would like some pics I can try and work the gallery system and get you some tomorrow if needed - not painted but based so you can see how they compare.

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 07:35:06 PM »
Thanks all I think I'll get some Baccus and see howI get on