Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:26:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: North Star AWI figures comparison?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Ragtime

• Schoolboy
North Star AWI figures comparison?
« on: November 07, 2023, 06:48:25 PM »
Couldn't find any comparison pictures of the new AWI figures from North Star. Anyone know how they scale with Perry miniatures?

Offline glenning

• Librarian
Re: North Star AWI figures comparison?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 08:14:56 PM »
I've ordered some Indian Warriors so stay tuned for a comparison with Perry!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 08:46:47 PM »
By AWI do you mean "French Indian Wars"? I only ask as not aware of an AWI range?  Are they new?

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 08:55:29 PM »
No pics but going by the FIW figures, they work ok - bigger & beefier but not too bad at all

Offline Ragtime

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 09:44:05 PM »
North Star released various AWI sets throughout the year without much fanfare. They had a new sculptor working on them (not Mike Owens) who did a great job in my opinion. The figure line is pretty basic in regards of units, but I think there will be a few more sets released in the future.

The last two sets released:

British Light Infantry

American Riflemen

Offline Ragtime

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 09:51:21 PM »
I've ordered some Indian Warriors so stay tuned for a comparison with Perry!

Thanks, really looking forward to this!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 06:17:02 AM »
Thanks for bringing them to my attention. Totally missed them on my radar! I too will be interested in the answers as I have Perry AWI figures and some of the Northstar FIW British. However as someone else has said I understand Northstar use different sculptors within the range so the figure sizes/scales aren't always compatible.

Offline Ragtime

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 01:44:56 PM »
Thanks for bringing them to my attention. Totally missed them on my radar! I too will be interested in the answers as I have Perry AWI figures and some of the Northstar FIW British. However as someone else has said I understand Northstar use different sculptors within the range so the figure sizes/scales aren't always compatible.

The entire AWI range is sculpted by the same sculptor. So if one set matches with the Perrys, then you can add the whole range to your AWI collection. Which I hope they'll do.

On the site note, if you're also into FIW, the Indian Characters set (oddly from the same range) has the main protagonists from the movie The Last of the Mohicans. These are in my opinion even slightly better then the Conquest/Warlord ones.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 02:53:41 PM »
Nice models. Unfortunately my FIW Indians are the old Redoubt Miniatures range which are nice in their own way. My British FIW are Northstar plus some Galloping Major figures who are very beefy boys!

Offline Ragtime

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 11:27:16 PM »
Nice models. Unfortunately my FIW Indians are the old Redoubt Miniatures range which are nice in their own way. My British FIW are Northstar plus some Galloping Major figures who are very beefy boys!

With FIW I went the Conquest/Warlord, Brigade, Perry and Black Hussar route. So proportion wise this could join the ranks.

Offline Ruire

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2023, 12:03:03 AM »
I got some of the Continental infantry recently and while they're nicely detailed figures they're noticeably shorter and slimmer than Perrys and quite a bit different in style and would definitely have to be in their own units. I also got some of North Star's FIW militia at that same time and they're very much taller and thicker - so much so they tower over the Perrys AWI even.

I think I'll definitely get the riflemen despite the difference in style from Perrys, it's always nice to have a bit of variation.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2023, 01:41:38 AM »
Beautiful figures exceptionally well painted! Absolutely masterful brushwork!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Ragtime

• Schoolboy
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2023, 10:28:05 AM »
I got some of the Continental infantry recently and while they're nicely detailed figures they're noticeably shorter and slimmer than Perrys and quite a bit different in style and would definitely have to be in their own units.

Hm, interesting... would you be willing to share a comparison picture of Continental Infantry and a Perry figure.

Offline Ruire

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2023, 12:53:47 PM »
L>R: Perry metal, North Star AWI, Eurkea AWI, North Star FIW

This should give a better indication of the differences in style.

Offline Ragtime

• Schoolboy
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2023, 06:07:24 PM »
Thank you for the comparison pics Ruire! While they look to be slightly taller and more 'true to life' proportions wise in comparison to Perrys, I think they would work great on the same table... painted up, maybe even mixed together.

Now I'm even toying with the idea, to use the Continentals as Provincial troops for my FIW collection. I would need to do some modifications on them but I think it would work.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 06:10:43 PM by Ragtime »