Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:46:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690903
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sources for 15 mm African Animals for Eastern Africa???  (Read 360 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Sources for 15 mm African Animals for Eastern Africa???
« on: November 15, 2023, 06:39:17 AM »
Already very familiar with the Irregular Miniatures offerings and the HaTT jungle set and the TOOB plastic animals, have some from all.

Not against 3D prints - source of my baboons and vultures, even some snakes.  But greatly prefer metal castings if at all possible.  But gladly will take pointers towards already set for 15 (or 18) mm animal options in 3D as long as they are very affordable and seller has option to order direct (won't bother if I have to do a back and forth with the printer to convert to 15 mm - don't have a printer myself and no plans to get one and time is of the essence).  Cost matters since I generally build large groups of animals.  Oh, and all options must be naturalistic - not fantasy stuff. 

Why this post?  Wife will be visiting her home country for five weeks during the holiday season and one of the things I want to do during her absence is make significant progress on a collection of figures and my "Slightly Cracked Colonials" is a top choice (think Scramble for Africa slightly modified).  Figure I'll take one last shot at finding offerings I don't already know about.

Already have painted 762 alive and 23 dead animals for Africa, another 613 (645 I think) alive and 8 dead with most of them primed and some in process already.  No, those are not typos - the East African plains need large herds to really look like 19th century Africa.  Well, for me, a passion project you see.  I might be able to finish painting the unpainted animals in five weeks, a decent but basic paint job - gaming standard, not museum quality; 120 or so a week is in reach of my level of productivity if my Mojo is with me.

Photos in due time, need to prep some terrain and paint some more humans first (quite a few already painted for the natives: villagers, porters, and fighters and a bit more) - and some buildings, too.

Some things I'd really like to find would be a dead animal being carried on a pole(s) by native carriers - pay a premium for that if it fits what I want.  Also, a few very "African" buildings (not native huts, have all I need) for the era and maybe some scatter terrain (have a lot that I can use already but something like a pile of elephant tusks or similar would be great).  And 'proper' gazelle and antelopes would be Fantastic!

So, if anyone can point me towards 15 mm (or 18 mm) animals, I will be very thankful and - if not something I already have - delighted.  As much as I have already, I'm quite willing to add more. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.  Even if it is something I have or know about, I'll still appreciate the information.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 06:46:44 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Sources for 15 mm African Animals for Eastern Africa???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 03:39:33 AM »
Verified the unpainted are 645. 

But posting to say that animals that can be adapted as 'for Africa' are worth a mention.  As a for instance, the 42 is for that many Sable Antelope which I will paint as such but they are meant as goats from Museum Miniatures.  You don't get to 30 different species without being a little creative.

Again, thanks for anyone who can point me to what I am hoping for.