Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:01:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690963
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cutters for wire spears?  (Read 476 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Cutters for wire spears?
« on: November 16, 2023, 08:03:17 PM »
For ages I've been using a big pair of wire cutters to shorten the steel wire pikes I get from various places to the desired length.

However they don't leave a flush cut. I've been meaning to get something better for a while now.

I'm browsing a bewildering array of different cutters which I could click and buy right now, but I don't want to get the wrong thing! It's got to be strong enough to effortlessly cut through typical wargaming steel wire, and leave a flush cut.

Is what I'm looking for actually an 'end-cutter'?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Cutters for wire spears?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 08:12:49 PM »
Okay, I've never been able to get a flush cut on steel with cutters, so any time I need to make one I use a diamond cutting disc with the mini-drill. Does the job in a few seconds (but don't be macho, wear goggles, because I know from experience that a fleck of steel cutting your cornea is 2 weeks of misery).

However, for spears I have switched to brass wire because it's easy to shape to a real spear leaf-shape (big pliers and a whack with a hammer) and you can just clipper them wire to length, then use sandpaper to level off.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 09:40:23 PM »
Thanks for the tips Cubs.

I'm looking at this thing here right now - it cuts things flush, and is surely strong enough.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-top-cutter-8-203mm-/87029

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 09:44:52 PM »
If you can find it, Bost do a version of end cutters and their products are very good. I've had a pair of normal cutters that I got just after leaving uni and they're still good for steel.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 10:49:23 PM »
I'm another who prefers brass wire for spears -- or bronze actually, I think, as I use brazing rod a lot. They come in a range of hardness and stiffness, but they're always easier to work than steel, and they will never ever rust. Plus, they just look nicer... until they're painted of course.

For small scale minis (10-15mm) I use long (50-65mm) brass sequin pins, or if I can find them, entymologist's specimen pins, which are super-fine.

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 02:58:05 PM »
Jewelry suppliers, such as Rio Grande in the US, will have tools you need.  Spools of brass wire and bronze wire rods in a variety of gauges are also available. 

A nice trick when working brass wire for spears.   take a 12” length and hammer an flat bit on one end and grip it in a check of a pin vise/hand drill or use a pair of parallel pliers, grip the other end in a vise.  Twist the wire around 2-3 complete turns while keeping tension on the wire.  This will work harden the wire and straighten it too.  Cut with nippers to the lengths you desire.  Cheaper than steel, not as dangerous to fingers, and easier to work.
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans