Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2024, 11:37:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ninja Miniatures  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Ninja Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2023, 02:48:04 PM »
...a lot of the popular culture surrounding the Sengoku period comes from artistic license taken from the subsequent Edo period, and ninjas are probably the most egregious example. As regards black clothing in particular, theatre stagehands in the Edo period wore black overalls to be less conspicuous and not distract from the action, but playwrights started using this for subversion by writing scenes where a stagehand would suddenly reveal himself to be an assassin. So although ninjas were associated with black clothing by 1800, there's no evidence that there was any distinctive style of shinobi dress in the period when they were meaningfully active, i.e. up to 1620.

Disappointing, but true... ::)

However, we can still put black pyama's and balaclava's in our games, as they've become so iconic. I blame Sho Kosugi for that  :D

They might be pricey, but if you want some really nice black clad ninja's, I can heartily recommend Bushido's Shadow Wind Clan...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 02:50:29 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Nogbad

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2023, 04:34:36 PM »
Don't want to labour this point too much (!) but, while I've read this theory about stagehands, ninja experts in Japan - such as people like Hiromitsu Kuroi who advises the Ninja Museum in Iga - DO insist that ninja sometimes wore an outfit that was simply modified summer peasant garb: loosely fitting and covering up as much exposed skin as possible, including the face, in order to protect from mosquitoes (which are an utter nightmare in Japan in summer).
What I should have said is that Hiromitsu etc say the garb was dark blue not black as the latter really sticks out in bright moonlight. The black colour seems to have been a later invention but not the actual outfit itself. So keep the miniatures but paint them dark blue!

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2023, 07:10:56 PM »
Yes, indigo was the cheap dye there.

Offline Sturmpioneer

• Librarian
    • http://www.kingsfordminiatures.org
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2023, 05:13:42 AM »
Please take a look at our line www.kingsfordminiatures.org Our ninjas each have very particular head coverings for those that know, know  ;)
Makers of 28mm Samurai!
www.kingsfordminiatures.org