Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:51:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: TSATF - an update on The Sword And The Flame & Sgt’s3  (Read 2120 times)

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
TSATF - an update on The Sword And The Flame & Sgt’s3
« on: November 24, 2023, 05:06:16 PM »
Christy posted an update about the upcoming soon to be 45Th Edition of TSATF and keeping the Flame alive!

My late sister, Lori Brom, always told me that the wargaming community was a wonderful supportive group of guys, we found that out when our mother, Sara Brom, died in November, 2000 of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD); we found it out again when our father, Larry Brom, died in November, 2015 from congestive heart failure; and I found it out when my beloved sister died from cardiac arrest on January 23, 2023. You talk about ‘life is unpredictable', I can certainly attest to that. As I stood by on that horrific Monday afternoon in our dining room as paramedics and firemen (6 total) tried to revive my sister after she collapsed. How I was able to call 911 and start CPR I'll NEVER know, but I did. Alas, it was not meant to be that she survived.

First, to all the gamers who still have orders pending, all I can say is thank you for your patience and support. Your understanding and willingness to wait has been a true godsend for me. Your patience has been invaluable as I continue to navigate through the continuing legal issues with her estate and other difficult times I'm facing since my sister unexpectedly died.

Second, please know this. I have absolutely NO INTENTION of selling The Sword and The Flame to anyone. Prior to his death, Dad told both Lori and me in a conversation to please keep TSATF "…in the family. Do not sell it!" Why he ever thought we would sell it was a mystery to us. It remains with the Brom family and will continue to remain for years to come. There could be some new additions in the future as well since I've found some finished products going through some files.

Last, but certainly NOT least, have NO fear, TSATF40th+ will be released in the future. It's being worked on by a top-notch team, including a couple of the play testers from the original TSATF. I pulled out the rough-draft manuscript and actually remembered typing it out, all 60+ pages and this was way before computers since the date on this is in Dad's handwriting is: June 22, 1979. As of 2023, The Sword and The Flame is 44-years old. Quite an accomplishment, Dad!!!!

I intend to continue on with Dad's legacy of "The Sword and The Flame", and with Sergeants 3, neither Dad nor Lori would expect anything LESS from me. I will also get back-on-track with my humanitarian efforts with my online organization, CJD Aware!, that has been on temporary ‘hold' since the pandemic.

So, pick up some dice and let's keep rolling!!!

Happy Holidays from ALL the Broms

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Re: TSATF - an update on The Sword And The Flame & Sgt’s3
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 09:30:53 PM »
Many thanks for that information JBaumal...i guess if anybody , except the well known US colonial wargamers, and, maybe, those proud guys that are under  the never lasting "never trust anyone on the frontier" campaign , plus me the only nerd in Italy to game colonial, actually game with TSTAF sacred book  ;)  but it is, in any case, a splendid news.

I'm not in position to lobby for any commercial strategy in the wargame world but i humbly think that selling the existing  TSATF rule book, the forthcoming new edition and all the interesting amendments/different versions  booklets (Philippines, Sword in the Gaul ecc..) also trough PDF/digital versions  would be the best approach to reach new customers above all here in Europe..The other favourite wargame rules of mine, that s WW2 Rapid Fire rules has a similar selling approach: physical books and digital ones. Without it, thanks to Brexit and to deep rising of customer offices's controls and import taxes all over the word it becomes difficult to buy anything except from your own yard.
Anyway Jeff do you really  think that now we can already  try  to place an order (old stuff) trough Sergeant 3 site?
thanks
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 12:11:19 PM by italwars »

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 08:08:01 PM »
Italwars, yes my friend, according to Christy we can definitely order rules and supplements from Sgt’s3. There is a digital version of the 20th, I hope there will be a digital version of the 45th.

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 09:21:34 PM »
I have been told by reliable friends that even Mulehead Khan, through a fake account, will buy TSATF expansions and gives all his empathy to Brom family!!!

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 07:23:21 PM »
Mulehead Khan purchasing TSATF, the one true rule??? This must be a tall tail indeed…LOL

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 07:26:20 AM »
I for one am really happy to hear that TSATF is still going strong. I have been gaming with it since it first came out. I was just a youngster when it came out. was gaming and working with Lynn Bodin while he was publishing "The Savage and Soldier". I have gamed it from the begining. I still have my first unit, converted from an Imperialism unit when we made the switch to TSATF. Looking forward to the 45th edition and all that is to come.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 06:32:49 PM »
Keeping the Brom legacy is a worthy endeavor.  It is wonderful thing that the efforts of your father and family has provided so much enjoyment to so many people.   

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 01:08:35 AM »
Nicely done, Sarge, sharing Christy Brom's proclamation to the TSATF Faithful hereabouts!

Evil Giorgio... though my brother from another brother, SgtGuinness AKA JBaumal, doubts the veracity of your tale, I take the empathy at face value, to be sincere, and offer my thanks in the name of all those who live and game... in accord with Sword... and Flame:

"Walk wide of the Widow of Windsor, for 'alf of creation she owns... We have bought her the same, with the Sword and the Flame... and we've saluted it down with the tomes" -- AKA: the past, present, and future rules of Brom!
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Online Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 12:09:51 PM »
It is good news that a new version will soon be released. I am wondering why the 40th anniversary edition isn't available whilst the 20th one is. Why is that?

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 02:51:02 AM »
To use the title "40th Anniversary Edition" it would have had to be published in 2019.  Hopefully it will be published on or around 2024 so it can use the title "45th Anniversary."  The original was published in 1979 and the 20th Anniversary in 1999.  The 20th Anniversary can still be ordered from the publisher.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2023, 06:25:42 PM »
So the person who announced that a new edition would be released *checks notes* four years ago has confirmed that the aforementioned new edition will very definitely be out "in the future".

That sounds perfectly fine.

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2023, 10:26:36 PM »
Given that, in those four years (from memory) that poster has experienced the death of her father (the original author), then the death of her sister (who actively ran the business), a worldwide pandemic and at least one hurricane devastating her home, I think her priorities may have been elsewhere.

I’d cut her some slack and be pleased there is a chance the rules might not just disappear like so many other rulesets and figure ranges have done over the years.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2023, 11:05:07 PM »
Agree with everything i read..and may i add that i'm also pleased that in this very forum which is, from what i understand, more followed, in comparison to others, by Europe or UK based colonial wargamers , TSATF could earn some added visibility..we all are aware that, for certain obscure reasons, TSATF has never catched his well deserved attention outside the States
so thanks again Jeff to let us know those news..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 12:08:28 AM by italwars »

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2023, 10:00:23 AM »
We look forward to the new edition of the 45th

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2023, 04:55:01 AM »
Well said, oh, most highly esteemed Umra Khan, indeed we do!  You, I, Brother Jeff, and all our fellow gamers of good faith from each and every corner of the globe!