Forum > Colonial Adventures

Cape Frontier Wars

(1/3) > >>

Dannyboy:
Hello,
Wondered if anybody could shed some light on the appearance of Thembu warriors as allies of the Xhosa during the 8th Cape Frontier war? Reading Keith Smith's "Harry Smith's Last Throw", they appear to fight at Nell's farm in a very similar manner to the Zulus. Direct charges etc, as opposed to the skirmishing tactics of the Xhosa.

Would they dress in similar style to the Zulu's? Hoping the answer is yes so I can use the Perry plastics to bulk out the larger units.

Many thanks for any guidance on this.

juergen c. olk:
I was wrong

Dannyboy:
Many thanks for the input, I did try that, what I was really after was some contemporary mid 19th Century images if possible, most of the google images depict well known Xhosa references or else modern interpretations that lend towards a generic "Zulu" look.

However good news, I'll put in the order for the Perry plastics now!

Cheers

Cubs:
This has just been posted on the Iron Duke Miniatures Facebook page -

Question of relevance to the Cape Frontier Wars posed on the Lead Adventure Forum and answered by another forum member incorrectly. The question posed was what did the Thembu look like? Did they look like Zulus? Wrong answer [yes] then given by a second party in response. Here is the correct answer: no they did not look like Zulus (in terms of dress, weaponry and tactics). They looked like the Xhosa and fought like the Xhosa. The Zulu and Ndebele are amongst those conventionally categorized as Northern Nguni. The Xhosa and the Thembu are Southern Nguni and are very near neighbours, both geographically and culturally speaking. They are such close cousins indeed that it is often said that Mandela was a Xhosa, when in fact he was a Thembu. As an aside Xhosa royals conventionally took Thembu wives.

juergen c. olk:
Thanx for correction,my mistake

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version