Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:12:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rules for Lions Hunting Prey?  (Read 1428 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Rules for Lions Hunting Prey?
« on: November 27, 2023, 03:05:35 PM »
I am hoping someone knows of a good set of rules - simple and straight forward would be best - for lions hunting prey?

I have enough lions to create several prides, males, females, even young cubs.  Just need to get them painted.  And I have plenty of prey animals, many already painted, some still to paint, in decent sized herds, like 180 wildebeest (yeah, that many - and already painted).  I even have dead animals for most herds for when the lions take down their prey (mostly I just very carefully cut a live animal from its base at the bottom of its legs and then 'squash' the animal a bit).

While the main reason for all the animals is for self-mobile 'scatter' terrain for my games set in East Africa, I like the idea of a less 'serious' game.

Just wish someone made a nice dead lion being carried on a pole in 15 or 18 mm!  If push comes to shove, I may try LAF's own Digits process he used on a zebra - I can 'sacrifice' a lion or two in the process and still have several prides; bigger challenge is proper carriers for the poles but I might have some extra figures for that, too.

So, rules recommendations, please?

Thanks!

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
Re: Rules for Lions Hunting Prey?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 01:22:45 PM »
I have a couple of simple rules, send your email to
pieropompili55@gmail.com
cheers
Piero

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 03:23:08 PM »
Piero,

Email send.

Thanks!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 06:41:52 PM »
Piero, thanks for the email of the rules.  Have you ever used them for the lions doing the hunting?  That is what I am after.  I still haven't had time to fully go through the rules but they do seem focused on people doing the hunting.

I want rules more like this:

Than this:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 07:34:58 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 03:04:52 PM »
Paleo Diet: Eat or be Eaten from Ganesha Games can be used to pit prides against hunters, though it is pre firearms you could easily modify shooting ranges or keep due to operating in the bush.
Mexican Jack Squint Presents The Lion Eats Tonight looks like it could badly for the hunters rather quickly though I've never played it nor due I own the rules. There is a good game report on Jackson Gamer blog https://jacksongamers.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-lions-did-eat-tonight.html?m=1
The rules are available at Brigade Games

Finally I would suggest Five Parsecs Bug Hunt and use lions etc for xenomorphs. It provide good random movement for unidentified creatures that are hunting you more vigorously than you may be hunting them. You'd need to modify scenarios slightly, and keep the weapons more period but these will definitely give your hunters a challenge.  These are at Wargames Vault.
"welcome to the world of cascading failure"

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 04:40:28 AM »
I might have Paleo Diet stashed somewhere but don't recall it going towards where I am hoping; will have to dig it out and look it over again.

I want the lions to be hunting things like zebras, or wildebeest, or a baby elephant even - but not humans (though that could be added as an option).  And a bonus for including the option for male lions to go at each other in the quest to take over a pride or chase it out of its territory.  Will forego the male lions killing the cubs, a bit over much even for me.

I'm thinking of having this as a sort of side game within a larger more 'normal' game.

Offline Tarnegol

• Librarian
    • My Biblical Wargaming blog.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 06:07:41 AM »
I wonder if, with changes to the creatures, one of the dinosaur vs. dinosaur games might serve?
Try-to-survive-asaurus, from QRF
Cretacea or Only the Strong Survive, both available from Wargame Vault
DinoMight, from Magister Militum. (I have a spare copy, which you're welcome to for the trans-Atlantic postage cost)
"One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off."

Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 05:12:59 PM »
If push comes to shove, I may have a go at writing some simple rules.  Meanwhile, I had a few moments to sort out my lions:

I have enough for six prides of ten lions (2 adult males, five adult females, 1 male cub, 2 female cubs), another small pride of five lions (1 male, 3 female, 1 cub), four sets of two adult males - for roaming bachelors and trouble makers, and three more for converting to a lion on a pole and/or other dead lions.

That adds up to 76 total lions.  Yeah, that is a lot - but my overall Africa animals will top out north of 1,000 'figures' with about half already painted and ready for the table.  Photos await adequate and appropriate terrain which I hope to get done relatively soon, weeks not days.

Oh, and I have three dozen hyenas to irritate the lions.  And a few leopards and cheetahs, too.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 04:54:46 PM »
FifteensAway you are an Africafile after my own heart! I haven't counted all my African animals but it sounds like I have about a quarter of what you have amassed! Well done sir!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 06:54:05 AM »
MaleGriffin, you may want to keep an eye on this thread in the Workbench portion of LAF: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=143660.msg1834365#msg1834365

Tracking progress on painting stuff, including a lot of what those lions will be hunting. 

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 07:36:47 AM »
You'll have to know how to give ChatGPT the right prompts when designing anything, but here's something rudimentary with simple prompts:

Certainly! Designing rules for a chase scene between lions and their prey in a miniatures game can add excitement and strategic elements to the gameplay. Here's a set of rules you can consider:

### Miniatures Game Chase Scene Rules: Lions vs. Prey

**Objective:**
- For the Lions: Catch and eliminate the prey before they reach a safe zone.
- For the Prey: Reach the safe zone without being caught by the Lions.

**Setup:**
1. Define the play area with a designated safe zone for the prey.
2. Place miniature lion figures at various points on the board, representing the hunting pack.
3. Place miniature prey figures at the opposite end of the board, ready to make a run for the safe zone.

**Turn Sequence:**
1. **Lions' Turn:**
   a. Lions move according to a predetermined movement value.
   b. Lions can make one attack per turn against adjacent prey figures.

2. **Prey's Turn:**
   a. Prey figures move according to a predetermined movement value.
   b. Prey figures can perform defensive actions, such as dodging or using terrain for cover.

**Movement:**
1. Lions have a higher base movement speed but may have limitations when changing direction.
2. Prey figures may have a slightly lower movement speed but can make more abrupt turns and utilize cover effectively.

**Terrain:**
1. Introduce different types of terrain (e.g., open fields, bushes, rocks) that affect movement and visibility for both lions and prey.
2. Lions may move more slowly through dense terrain but can use it for cover.

**Attacks:**
1. Lions initiate attacks by moving into an adjacent space with a prey figure.
2. Prey figures can defend by rolling dice to determine the success of a dodge or counteraction.

**Fatigue Mechanic:**
1. Implement a fatigue mechanic to represent the exertion of the chase.
2. Both lions and prey may accumulate fatigue points with each turn, affecting their movement and defensive capabilities.

**Special Abilities:**
1. Lions may have special abilities such as "Pounce" to cover extra distance in one turn.
2. Prey figures may have abilities like "Camouflage" to temporarily reduce the chance of being detected by lions.

**Game End:**
1. The game ends when either all prey reach the safe zone or all prey are caught by lions.
2. Players can tally points based on the number of prey reaching the safe zone and the number of lions that successfully catch prey.

**Variations:**
1. Introduce random events like a sudden rainstorm or the appearance of a larger predator that affects all units.
2. Include additional objectives, such as finding water sources for the prey or setting up ambush points for the lions.

These rules provide a framework for a dynamic and exciting chase scene between lions and prey in a miniatures game. Adjustments can be made based on the preferences of the players and the specific characteristics of the miniatures used.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 05:51:28 PM »
ced, thanks for the outline for rules, just might come in handy.  However, I have no plans to go anywhere near ChatGPT; happy to rely on my own creativity with various warps and woofs, definitely more warped than woofed.