Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:06:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm scale buildings with internals  (Read 646 times)

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
6mm scale buildings with internals
« on: November 28, 2023, 01:38:21 PM »
Does anyone make 6mm scale buildings you can fit figure stands in?

I'm looking for Spanish/italian style in particular

Single story would be more than enough

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
Re: 6mm scale buildings with internals
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 01:48:52 PM »
Paperterrain https://www.paperterrain.com/mediterranean-buildings does lift off ones.  There is a ruined shell underneath that the intact building goes over.  These would work for you.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 03:53:54 PM »
I was hoping for something a bit more substantial since there will be traffic in and out of the buildings

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 04:49:51 PM »
+ a level of fiddly-bits, but...

I glue my cardstock/printed walls to a substrate of card/matboard (depending on target material thickness desired) before folding/assembling.  The same could be done with thin sheet styrene (a 'for sale' sign from the local DIY store would suffice for a town's worth of 6mm buildings?) if a more stable/durable substrate were desired?

"...there will be traffic in and out of the buildings."
To make this easier (for fat fingers  ;) ) I make the cut-line between levels at the door/window lintel height rather than at the floors - the cavity this creates in the level/roof above easily holds registration blocks in the corners.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 04:55:44 PM by gweirda »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 06:24:30 PM »
The above suggestion to use paper buildings seems relatively practical.

I can’t think of any examples of commercially made 6mm buildings that have playable interiors. The closest I have seen are probably the laser cut kits by Gamecraft Miniatures https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm-modern-city-buildings/?page=1

You may also bump up against the issue that 6mm buildings tend to have a smaller footprint than an actual building of that type would have (of course that’s also true in larger scale war gaming too). The Gamecraft buildings illustrate that- they’re big, but still compress the footprint. Adding even a very simple playable interior to those would be a challenge.

What about making a better scaled ‘map’ for each building- maybe sketched out on a file card, or printed on card stock? When a team moves into a building, they are shifted to the 2D map for the interior action.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 06:27:45 PM »
Maybe the answer is to upscale to 10mm if the footprint will be too small?

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 06:40:16 PM »
The above suggestion to use paper buildings seems relatively practical.

...the issue that 6mm buildings tend to have a smaller footprint than an actual building of that type would have...

That, for me, is a key benefit of paper-building files: They can be re-sized (in three dimensions) to suit whatever footprint and/or figure height is being used to make the buildings work/look good.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2023, 07:31:25 PM »
10mm buildings would definitely be closer to the footprint of an actual 6mm building. If you assume 6mm is pretty close to 1:300 scale, then 1mm on the model = 1 foot on the actual building. A Norman farmhouse might have a scale footprint of 40mm by 25 or 30mm and be 30mm tall.

Again, I can’t think of any commercially produced 10mm buildings that are designed to have playable interiors. The Warbases “mini hammer” 10mm line of laser cut kits are hollow, though. With a bit of additional effort you could make them with removable roofs. There are limited choices for building type and style, though. The attached picture shows a Warbases cottage next to some Baccus 6mm Roman civilians. Just my opinion, but the house looks a bit big (doors, windows especially). The footprint of the building is 35mm by 60mm.

I think it kind of comes down to what you’re trying to represent in the game. If house-to-house fighting is going to be a big part of the games, playable interiors definitely would be important (even if the interiors are very stylized and just represent areas within the building). If it’s mostly outdoors fighting, old work-around like allowing a base touching a building to “occupy” it might be the way to go.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 08:27:34 PM »
That's really helpful

Thanks

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 02:31:14 AM »
Iliada Games studio has some laser cut matboard buildings which have pretty thin walls.

https://www.iliadagamestudio.com/ancient-six

and here
https://www.iliadagamestudio.com/urban-structures

Another option is to scale down 28 or 15mm 3D "flat pack" buildings to 6mm and glue them together.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023, 10:17:58 AM »
Thanks, I think the long term solution is to make my own