Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:44:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691112
  • Total Topics: 118374
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: citadel primer problems  (Read 981 times)

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
citadel primer problems
« on: December 01, 2023, 09:28:49 PM »

Hello I recently purchased some Eureka miniatures I soaked them in soapy water for 3 days as I usually do and then gave them 2 coats of Citadel Wraith Bone primer. I've done this dozens of times before and seldom had a problem. For some reason this batch of miniatures has the paint beading and the figures almost seem to be repelling the paint. Has anyone had this problem before?
If so what can be done?

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: citadel primer problems
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 09:30:34 AM »
Weather conditions? If your spraying outside?

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 12:05:59 PM »
interesting, I sprayed inside but it was very cold that day.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 02:01:33 PM »
I had similar problems with their Corax White, as well as a blotchy appearance.

It turns out the recommended temperature range on the can is 15C to 25C, which is incredibly small :(

I didn't risk it again, so I don't know if it would have worked if used at the recommended temperature

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 09:40:59 AM »
I probably shouldn't have to ask, but did you rinse the miniatures off after their extended soap bath?

Also; what kind of plastic was used on the miniatures? I hear some types of resin, because being ever so slightly porous, can soak up moisture to some degree. If this happened with your soap, it might actually prevent the paint from bonding with the plastic.

My experience is that just a short wash with some dish soap and a rinse under the tap will work just fine; no need to submerge them for 3 days.

And of course cold and moisture in the air can really fluff up any spraying you do. I've had this happening myself a number of times as well. Try warming up your spray cans before applying the paint. I put them on a radiator for a couple of minutes during cold spells, but I've seen people using a bucket of warm water for this as well.

Moisture in the air is harder to avoid though. It's most prevalent when it's cold, but tropical climates can be just as moist obviously. I've found no real solution for that other than to wait it out or spray inside.

But you'd better be ready for some incoming flak; my significant other will throw a fit when she smells too much paint fumes in the house... lol

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 10:06:47 AM »
Never had it with pewter but had it on PVC and resin. Being the barbarian I am I did not wash them. I grabbed a bigger club!

Epoxy based sealing primer* usually does the trick.

*a technical rattle can paint intended to form a sealing barrier, also sold as "isolating primer" or "barrier primer" (German names: Isoliergrund or Sperrgrund)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 10:09:33 AM by Glitzer »
Far less active than I used to...

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 12:01:33 PM »

The figures were metal not plastic, I've never had this problem with plastic figures but have had similar things happen with other metal ranges. The entire batch that I primed seemed to repel the paint. I had to work really hard to work a coat of speedpaint over the entire figure and then was able to paint over that.
Over the weekend I primed a new batch this time at the recommended temperature. I haven't had a chance to paint them yet so don't know if they will take paint or repel it.

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 01:43:23 AM »

The new batch is taking the paint fine, so maybe it was the cold weather after all. Though why it would effect adhesive properties of the primer is beyond me.

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2023, 12:16:40 AM »
Tom
Mate that does seem strange .
I exclusively use the Games Workshop Sprays , they are expensive , but i have never had a problem ..Ever
Got to be climatic conditions , you said it was cold ?? .. is that like Australia Cold ... ( warm ) or say Canada Cold ... ?? ( not so much ) ?
I found that i leave the  paints out in the sun to warm up first before spraying on cooler days helps .
Cheers.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2023, 09:08:34 PM »
I had an issue with the original Fellowship of the Rings, especially the hobbits.
I ended up using a glass fibre brush to clean up the affected area (it took three goes to get the paint to stick).

https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2021/04/lord-of-rings-fellowship-of-ring.html