Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2024, 08:47:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1681544
  • Total Topics: 117780
  • Online Today: 1003
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Border Wars - MacDonnell Raid  (Read 936 times)

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
Border Wars - MacDonnell Raid
« on: December 04, 2023, 08:54:01 AM »
It was a pleasure to be asked by the members of Glasgow District Wargames Society to put on a demo of Border Wars today.
We saw a family of Irish MacDonnells with Chief Sorley Boy raiding a local English Garrison. Lord Slackbladder was refusing to leave his tower to help protect the locals. Luckily for them, some of the hired Border Horsemen were patrolling and came to their aid.

The Irish were able to take the loot from the locals but failed to get the much needed livestock. We even saw one of the MacDonnell Kerns crushed to death after one of his friends caused a stampede.

In the end, both sides took a number of casualties, and despite the Irish gaining the loot, it was an even match on the day. The MacDonnells left with some coin but not the much-needed meat. The MacDonnells losing Gallowglass means gaining the coin seems worthless now. It would have been worse if it wasn't for some terrible shooting from the Borderers and some outstanding defensive fighting from the Sparth axe men.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Border Wars - MacDonnell Raid
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 10:13:43 AM »
Nice looking game - well done  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 10:32:30 AM »
Lovely looking game, albeit going by what the players are wearing I guess the venue was a tad cold. A few questions if I may. Who produces the various scenery items ? As regards the game itself I already have a mass of figures dating back to when the Vendel range was released over 20 years ago. Can you play Border Wars using just the rulebook and the tokens (ie an outlay of circa £30) or do you need the cards that come with the figures packs? If the latter I'm afraid I will have to give these rules a miss which will be disappointing.

Thanks

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 01:24:51 PM »
Great looking game. Lovely figures and scenery.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 03:02:02 PM »
Lovely looking game, albeit going by what the players are wearing I guess the venue was a tad cold. A few questions if I may. Who produces the various scenery items ? As regards the game itself I already have a mass of figures dating back to when the Vendel range was released over 20 years ago. Can you play Border Wars using just the rulebook and the tokens (ie an outlay of circa £30) or do you need the cards that come with the figures packs? If the latter I'm afraid I will have to give these rules a miss which will be disappointing.

Thanks

haha the venue actually wasn't that bad. The guys had just came in from the snow outside and were scared to take them off for a bit.

The tower was made by OSHIROmodels on here. The two nearest the tower and road are Hudson & Allen. The building nearest the rocks is by Geoff at Purple Lion Terrain.

No problem with the questions. The rules do not need the pre-populated cards. These have just been done for my model, but the rules allow you to create your own characters using your own figures or even changing the ones I have. The blank cards and a roster are available to download depending on your preference.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 03:07:54 PM »
Always enjoy seeing pics of your game. From seeing James work on the tower to your lovely figures. My kind of skirmish game!
  :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 11:06:15 AM »
Nice looking game, I've just finished painting some figures and need to start on some buildings next. Not sure how to get the organic looking stone walls without doing a S.I. stone by stone build.

Had a quick look at your facebook page. How do your figures scale to the Hoka Hey ones, stylistically they look similar, and I'd only be interested in figures, not bases and cards, do you sell them separately?
Cheers

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 09:22:44 PM »
Really a delight.  Just bought the rules, and Metternich, his sister and I planning on doing some Border action ourselves in near future (after he finishes a 7 Samurai campaign).  Have some of the old Vendel Border Reivers and Foundry Swashbucklers (i.e. Elizabethans) which will be taking to the field in coming weeks.